But I don't like where the CRC are going, and Calvin is not just following in its wake but rather steering the ship. I don't like the liberal turn they are taking: women ordination, the fact that they are bringing to the table possible acceptance of the Belhar confession and homosexual clergy (a complicated issue, because they affirm homosexuality as a sin), and other issues. These are red flags that make me tense thinking that I would soak up their teachings like a sponge and be mentored by the current faculty who are largely party to this.
I am not saying Calvin is all bad, nor am I saying that someone should go to any seminary uncritically. But I will say that it was a very difficult decision. I had to separate from my girlfriend, family and friends, accept a lower scholarship and live in a harsher neighborhood away from everyone who is dear to me. However, I'm getting better education and a conservative foundation, with an equally rich heritage (in my opinion). I can't regret that decision, even though it was hard. Very hard. I am now at Westminster, in Philly. It is excellent here.[/QUOTE]
It sounds like you were once in a very similar situation to mine athanatos.... As a member of the CRC calvin would offer me very significant financial aid, I have relatives that work there, my sister is a nursing student at their undergraduate institution, etc.... But I just don't know if I'd be comfortable there, I don't mind being on the far right in conversations with peers, but my reasons for going to seminary would be different, I wan't to go there to learn, not to change minds.
Westminster is definitely on my radar, I appreciate the way they seem to be accepting students from a broadly reformed background while at the same time maintaining a commitment to conservative, biblical, reformed Christianity
---------- Post added at 08:23 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:22 AM ----------
I was raised Baptist, but I had a similar struggle as you. My friends and family were within 2 hr of Calvin, as I've been a Michigan resident all my life. Calvin offered me cheap housing, a decent scholarship, and I even knew friends who were going there for their undergrad. It is a beautiful campus with a long history and a great heritage.
But I don't like where the CRC are going, and Calvin is not just following in its wake but rather steering the ship. I don't like the liberal turn they are taking: women ordination, the fact that they are bringing to the table possible acceptance of the Belhar confession and homosexual clergy (a complicated issue, because they affirm homosexuality as a sin), and other issues. These are red flags that make me tense thinking that I would soak up their teachings like a sponge and be mentored by the current faculty who are largely party to this.
I am not saying Calvin is all bad, nor am I saying that someone should go to any seminary uncritically. But I will say that it was a very difficult decision. I had to separate from my girlfriend, family and friends, accept a lower scholarship and live in a harsher neighborhood away from everyone who is dear to me. However, I'm getting better education and a conservative foundation, with an equally rich heritage (in my opinion). I can't regret that decision, even though it was hard. Very hard. I am now at Westminster, in Philly. It is excellent here.
It sounds like you were once in a very similar situation to mine athanatos.... As a member of the CRC calvin would offer me very significant financial aid, I have relatives that work there, my sister is a nursing student at their undergraduate institution, etc.... But I just don't know if I'd be comfortable there, I don't mind being on the far right in conversations with peers, but my reasons for going to seminary would be different, I wan't to go there to learn, not to change minds.
Westminster is definitely on my radar, I appreciate the way they seem to be accepting students from a broadly reformed background while at the same time maintaining a commitment to conservative, biblical, reformed Christianity
---------- Post added at 08:26 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:23 AM ----------
*** I suppose my "comfortability" shouldn't be the issue, if I'm uncomfortable because of the discomforting but biblical truths I learn in seminary that's fine, but if I'm uncomfortable because of a liberal atmosphere, that's not fine..... haha