Circuit Preacher

Status
Not open for further replies.

Notthemama1984

Puritan Board Post-Graduate

Came across this and got me thinking. The circuit preacher model really would benefit some areas. If you have two congregations that are too small to provide a full income by themselves, maybe they could pool their resources and provide the full package? I would think that the churches would benefit more from a minister who is able to devote 40+hrs a week on ministerial work vs 40hrs a week in a non pastoral profession and scratch together some hours with what is left over.

Thoughts?

Came across this and got me thinking. The circuit preacher model really would benefit some areas. If you have two congregations that are too small to provide a full income by themselves, maybe they could pool their resources and provide the full package? I would think that the churches would benefit more from a minister who is able to devote 40+hrs a week on ministerial work vs 40hrs a week in a non pastoral profession and scratch together some hours with what is left over.

Thoughts?
My understanding is that this is still the case for some churches in the Scottish Highlands.

I think you are right that this will continue to become more common. I don't think it ever fully went away-- I know of people who have done similar things in rural areas over the past few decades. Hopefully churches will look to this more frequently when they can't support a full-time pastor on their own.

Apparently at one point, my church was in a joint call with another ARP church which is 1:15 hrs away by car... but the minister rode between the congregations on horse! I think he alternates 2 weeks at each congregation. Both of our congregations are still around and each have their own minister now. I've heard some rural ARP churches still share ministers.

Thoughts?
I think that this could really be a great answer for south Texas. (Not a female "preacher", but a circuit preacher.)

Ignorantly asking and with no offense intended, what is stopping such churches from combining for the sake of long term? I assume there is some unity for them to be able to share a pastor.

Obviously depends a lot on whether they are local baptist churches or denominations etc.
Would a PCA and OPC church plant consider merging for the sake of the local bodies to have a full time local pastor?

Ignorantly asking and with no offense intended, what is stopping such churches from combining for the sake of long term? I assume there is some unity for them to be able to share a pastor.

Obviously depends a lot on whether they are local baptist churches or denominations etc.
Would a PCA and OPC church plant consider merging for the sake of the local bodies to have a full time local pastor?
My thought would be the distance on church is from another. Would it not be more beneficial to have the ability to worship in your community?

I know that some situations prevent merger due to distance between congregations.

I think that this could really be a great answer for south Texas. (Not a female "preacher", but a circuit preacher.)
That is what I was thinking. I live in Houston Metro and thus it doesn't apply here, but the rural areas are going to be lucky to gather more than a handful of families.

Modern transportation and communications certainly made the option more viable. Maybe a downsizing of the multisite megachurch modetl.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back