Commentaries on Daniel

Status
Not open for further replies.
Stuart Olyott's in the Welwyn series is very good and perfect for laymen. E.J. Young's is also very good but is a little more in-depth.

I agree with Paul. Olyott's Dare to Stand Alone: Daniel simply explained is a true gem! This is my Amazon review of it:

Olyott draws heavily on E.J. Young's Commentary on Daniel, and is also informed by the inimitable Robert Dick Wilson and his Studies in the Book of Daniel - just to give an idea of Stuart Olyott's orientations. Perhaps highest among Dare To Stand Alone's merits is its brevity (168 pages) while giving concise and profound exposition, a most satisfying experience. His approach is from the Reformed view, extremely important when dealing with the prophetic / apocalyptic sections (unpacked with great skill and insight), and the key passage in Daniel 9:24-27. A highly recommended top-notch commentary.

These are the ones I own, Joyce Baldwin [TOTC], Iain M. Duguid [REF], Sinclair B. Ferguson [TPC], and Tremper Longman III [NIVAC].

Dale Ralph Davis has a fairly new commentary on Daniel in the Bible Speaks Today series. I haven't read it, but I've read plenty of his other commentaries and anything Ralph Davis writes is hard to beat. His books are meaty, yet very accessible.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back