Commentaries on John

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eoghan

Puritan Board Senior
Having just finished Hebrews I thought we should start a gospel - John's.

What commentaries would you recommend and why - is it because of

  • a different perspective
    familiarity with the Greek language
    an awareness of the NT culture and customs
    historical insights from church history

I would just like one or two good commentaries. At one chapter a week this will be close to a sixth month project! :pray2:

---------- Post added at 05:08 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:03 PM ----------

e-sword supplies Mathew Henry and John Gill
sermon audio will supply some excellent sermons
I have the "NT's use of the Old"
Crossways Bible Atlas
IVP Commentary on the Bible
ESV study bible
...and probaly a few other resources I have forgotten
 
Last edited by a moderator:
I enjoyed:
1) Exposition of the Gospel of John by Arthur Pink. This was a 3 volume set.
2) The other set I enjoyed was An Expositional Commentary The Gospel of John by James Montgomery Boice 5 volumes.
3) And Expository Thoughts on the Gospels 2 volumes by J. C. Ryle. But it's been years since I read them.
 
I have Pink, D.A. Carson and Leon Morris, in addition to old classics available via the Internet. Of those, I find Carson the most useful and insightful for study and lesson prep, while Morris is the most pastoral. Both are among my favorite commentaries on any book, and well worth reading.
 
I really like Morris and Carson, also. I have Ridderbos and Beasley-Murray, too, and I find them helpful, as well.

PS - Paging Rev. Keister ;)
 
I found FF Bruce at a price of £59 (~$100) for a second hand copy!
DA Carson for £26 (~$50)
 
Herman Ridderbos is excellent.

Could you expand on that Keith, what makes that commentary so good (and give me some idea of the cost of Ribberbros).

---------- Post added at 06:00 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:46 PM ----------

I am a fan of FF Bruce but finding his commentary to be over £50 I despaired. I did however find a paperback for £26 on Ebay. Using that ISBN I found the same paperback a 1996 reprint for £11.40 second hand.

I think there is a place for some sort of listing of reprints. Is there any way of tracking down different printings?:think:
 
Found the following helpful :-
(1) Arthur. W. Pink - First class commentary, deeply spiritual in its content and contributes much in the way of practical application. Pink is reputed to have spent in excess of a fifteen year period compiling this work.
(2) William Hendriksen - excellent verse by verse commentary from an outstanding New Testament scholar.
(3) John Gill - again a first class doctrinal and practical verse by verse exposition - however might be difficult to lay hold on a copy - Published by Particular Baptist Press - The Newport Commentary Series.
(4) David Thomas - an excellent commentary from a homiletical perspective.
 
Eoghan,
You can pick up Ridderbos's commentary for £28.49 on amazon and that's a pretty good price (although I got mine second hand). The commentary is different in that it is more of a theological reflection of John, though it is certainly based on clear exegesis. Carson, Morris et al are excellent on exegetical and historical detail, and Ridderbos has a lot of this in his footnotes. But as Beasley-Murray, Carson and Morris say on the back of Ridderbos's commentary, he has managed to follow John's theological flow throughout the gospel. I think he answers some of the questions that the other commentaries might not ask (and vice versa). I have Carson and Kostenberger but it often seems like they are writing the same commentary (within the confines of their particular series). If you have Carson and Bruce then I'd recommend picking up Ridderbos to round it out.
 
Carson is a must from what I have read of it. I also cherish Ryle for his devotional writing and emphasis on application.
 
ChristianBook.com has F. F. Bruce's commentaries on the gospel of John and the epistles of John in one volume for $7.99.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top