Commentaries on the Gospel of Mark

Status
Not open for further replies.
Andrew, I'm sure, will fill you in on the best of the oldies.

:lol: (to the tune of "Old Time Rock and Roll")

Just take those old commentaries off the shelf
I'll sit and read 'em by myself
Todays books ain't got the same soul
I like those old commentaries on the whole
:sing:

J.A. Alexander is worth consulting. :pilgrim:

Andrew, to tell you the truth, that's why I don't usually post on old commentaries. You are much better at directing people's attention to them than I am. Don't get me wrong, I read the oldies, and admire them (right now, I am really enjoying Leighton on 1 Peter, for instance). I think a balance of periods is good in reading commentaries.

Andrew, to tell you the truth, that's why I don't usually post on old commentaries. You are much better at directing people's attention to them than I am. Don't get me wrong, I read the oldies, and admire them (right now, I am really enjoying Leighton on 1 Peter, for instance). I think a balance of periods is good in reading commentaries.

You know that my preference is for old commentaries, brother, but believe me I know there is a value in balancing the old with the new. They complement each other. In my experience, the old ones don't get the same press as the new ones, so I try to point folks that way, but I'm glad you're here to guide folks to the best of the newer ones. I tip my hat to you, brother.

Expository Thoughts on Mark by J.C. Ryle (Banner of Truth) is worth the time it takes to read. More on the "devotional" side that strict exposition (despite its title), but well worth reading.

Ryle himself mentions George Petter as the finest commentary on Mark.

Lane, France, Ryle, Garland, Ferguson, and Edwards are the best of the moderns. Andrew, I'm sure, will fill you in on the best of the oldies.

Lane, what no Bob Gundry after 1,069 pages? :eek: I'm shocked! :lol: Actually, he was the best prof I ever had (that's why I took 32 units from him BEFORE he went off the reservation).

This monumental work presents a careful, well-argued alternative reading of the Greek text of Mark-a reading that pays special attention to such literary devices as word order, chiasm, inclusio, asyndeton, and the historical present tense. Driving the commentary is Gundry's provocative, seldom-defended thesis that Mark's Gospel constitutes a straightforward apology for the shameful manner of Jesus' death; as such Mark is essentially an evangelistic tract rather than an obliquely written handbook of Christian discipleship and church life. "Sure to become recognized as the heavyweight English commentary on the Gospel of Mark.... This massive commentary, rich with exegetical detail and critical assessment of the secondary literature, makes an important contribution not only to Markan research but also to the study of the historical Jesus." - Christian Scholars Review

C. E. B. Cranfield on the Greek text of Mark. Originally published in 1959 and still in print - which shows its continuing value.

Cranfield was 93 in September!

Last edited:
...right now, I am really enjoying Leighton on 1 Peter...

I don't think any modern commentary can be written without taking Robert Leighton's famous sermons on 1 Peter into consideration. It's a book that's been valued for several centuries now.

I've probably told this story before, but: for the last ten years of his life, Leighton lived with his sister in the country. Before his death, he instructed his sister that, after his home-going, all his papers and manuscripts were to be burned. Fortunately, cooler and wiser heads prevailed upon his sister, and most of his papers were preserved. Hence, we have this wonderful commentary on 1 Peter.

Lane, France, Ryle, Garland, Ferguson, and Edwards are the best of the moderns. Andrew, I'm sure, will fill you in on the best of the oldies.

Lane, what no Bob Gundry after 1,069 pages? :eek: I'm shocked! :lol: Actually, he was the best prof I ever had (that's why I took 32 units from him BEFORE he went off the reservation).

This monumental work presents a careful, well-argued alternative reading of the Greek text of Mark-a reading that pays special attention to such literary devices as word order, chiasm, inclusio, asyndeton, and the historical present tense. Driving the commentary is Gundry's provocative, seldom-defended thesis that Mark's Gospel constitutes a straightforward apology for the shameful manner of Jesus' death; as such Mark is essentially an evangelistic tract rather than an obliquely written handbook of Christian discipleship and church life. "Sure to become recognized as the heavyweight English commentary on the Gospel of Mark.... This massive commentary, rich with exegetical detail and critical assessment of the secondary literature, makes an important contribution not only to Markan research but also to the study of the historical Jesus." - Christian Scholars Review

I have read a goodish bit of Gundry's Matthew commentary, and I have to say that I don't find it all that helpful, especially not after reading France, Bruner, Davies/Allison, Blomberg, Morris, Ryle, Plummer, Hagner, Garland, and Barclay.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back