Commentaries?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staphlobob

Puritan Board Sophomore
Doubtless this question has been asked before and I've just never seen it. But does anyone have any recommendations regarding OT commentaries? I've got good NT books, but I'm very short on solid OT exegesis from more of a Reformed perspective.

Thanks
 
The OT commentaries that have been most useful to me or rank highest on my wish list are:

John Calvin
Matthew Poole
Matthew Henry
John Gill
Keil & Delitzsch
John Trapp
Jamieson, Fausset & Brown
English Annotations
Dutch Annotations

For specific books, I have other specialized favorites. There are other recommendations in the Commentary forum.
 
Last edited:
The OT commentaries that have been most useful to me or rank highest on my wish list are:

John Calvin
Matthew Poole
Matthew Henry
John Gill
Keil & Delitzsch
John Trapp
Jamieson, Fausset & Brown

For specific books, I have other specialized favorites. There are other recommendations in the Commentary forum.

:up:

I just bought the updated complete Keil & Delitzsch set with premium CD from Christianbook.com for $69.99!

For whatever reason Amazon is selling this same set for $695!

:banana:
 
As I mentioned in the "Best Commentaries on the Psalms" thread, I have been finding the OT works in the NIVAC series to be quite profitable. There are several Reformed exegetes in that series, and all of the authors that I have encountered write from at least a conservative evangelical perspective.

As mentioned before, the volumes on the Psalms, Ezekiel, and Daniel are all well done.

In my opinion, Duguid's volume on Ezekiel is the finest commentary on that book that I have ever come across, which is an evaluation that I have also heard from others, it's simply outstanding.
 
Doubtless this question has been asked before and I've just never seen it. But does anyone have any recommendations regarding OT commentaries? I've got good NT books, but I'm very short on solid OT exegesis from more of a Reformed perspective.

Thanks

Thats a really good question. I had a very smart fellow tell me a while ago that it is more about the Volume than the set when it comes to commentaries and I have to say that I've found this to be true overall. For example certain sets have one or two VERY good volumes while others may be lacking a bit. However if you want to get a WHOLE set written by just one person or a group of people the best place to start may be Mattew Poole or Calvins commentaries.
I consider Mattew Poole to be "HIGHLY UNDERATED." He is far better than most people give him credit for. Some like the pulpit commentaries as well. Again I really dont use commentary very often but if you use them its good to start with something inexpensive like Poole for most people that and a good encyclopidia set like the NASBE would do wonders.
 
Doubtless this question has been asked before and I've just never seen it. But does anyone have any recommendations regarding OT commentaries? I've got good NT books, but I'm very short on solid OT exegesis from more of a Reformed perspective.

Thanks

Kevin,
If you're interested here is a link to a list of recommended OT commentaries that I have compiled. I have been using this and other similar lists to guide my selection of books. I hope that it will be of some service to you.
(Note: the list is large, but I can skinny it down if you have trouble viewing it.)

Blessings.
 
There is one commentary on the O.T. that I think you may very much like. It is short but it deals with an area that many commentaries dont. It is called "The Litererary Structure of the Old Testament' by David Dorsey. You might want to take a look at it its not the most detailed commentary in the world but it is a great tool for seeing how the biblical writers used structure. :book2:
 
Now available absolutely free to all readers of Puritan Board - my commentary on the entire Old Testament:

"It's great!"

Coming soon, after years of study, my commentary on the entire New Testament. Watch this space...
 
Now available absolutely free to all readers of Puritan Board - my commentary on the entire Old Testament:

"It's great!"

Coming soon, after years of study, my commentary on the entire New Testament. Watch this space...

Wow. I can't believe you just handed that out for free! I guess you'll do just about anything to serve the church, eh?
 
Just remember what you paid to get that commentary, and measure its worth by that. :D

Understood... if dissatisfied, I'm sure there will be an appropriate refund.

When's volume II (on the NT) coming out? I imagine the editing and typesetting takes a little time...
 
Understood... if dissatisfied, I'm sure there will be an appropriate refund.

When's volume II (on the NT) coming out? I imagine the editing and typesetting takes a little time...


You betcha - you can't imagine the amount of work I'm putting into this puppy...
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top