Context! Context! Context!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Phil D.

ὁ βαπτιστὴς
In a very real sense the logical context is the most basic factor in interpretation. I tell my classes that if anyone is half asleep and does not hear a question that I ask, there is 50 percent chance of being correct if he or she answers “context!” ...Immediate context is the final arbiter for all decisions regarding the meaning of a term or concept.​
(Grant Osborne, The Hermeneutical Spiral, 2006, 39)​

In a very real sense the logical context is the most basic factor in interpretation. I tell my classes that if anyone is half asleep and does not hear a question that I ask, there is 50 percent chance of being correct if he or she answers “context!” ...Immediate context is the final arbiter for all decisions regarding the meaning of a term or concept.​
(Grant Osborne, The Hermeneutical Spiral, 2006, 39)​
Great book

I don’t agree with that statement but I would have to read it in context ;).
Lol.
Indeed. I have been wrestling lately with certain words, namely the dik- group. So, if a word is used outside it's normal usage, or in a completely different context, without word smithing, does it's meaning completely change? Or does audience and assuming what we know about them govern what it likely meant?

I don’t agree with that statement but I would have to read it in context ;).

For context, here's a visual representation of the context for Osborne's remarks on context... Note he said "final" not "sole."

1707924925564.png

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back