Originally posted by Peters
You assume that your kids are saved. You assume that they have imputed righteousness.
I assume that my kids are regenerate. John Calvin, Dr. McMahon, and Scott Bushey are with me here.
That does not mean that I know for sure that they are regenerate. Presuming is not the same as infallibly knowing.
Originally posted by Peters
The difference in the New Testament is that the sign is no longer applied to everyone indiscriminately because the promise made to the Seed is fulfilled in Christ; therefore the sign is now applied to those who are perceived to ACTUALLY be the TRUE descendents of Abraham by virtue of their identity with the Seed BY FAITH.
That's funny, I don't remember ever reading anywhere in Scripture where that change was made. I think you are arguing from silence.
Plus, you are missing an even deeper point. ALL of Abraham's physical descendants were presumed regenerate until they proved otherwise. They were "perceived to ACTUALLY be the TRUE descendants of Abraham by virtue of their identity with the Seed BY FAITH" . . . You seem to forget that circumcision itself was a sign and seal of faith.
Likewise, Christians should presume their children elect until they prove otherwise. Thus the sign of regeneration is also applied to their children, just like it was to Abraham's.
You seem to be drawing this huge dichotomy between circumcision and baptism that just does not exist in the Bible. BOTH were administered as signs/seals of faith & regeneration, and were given to ALL New Covenant members, on the basis of presumed regeneration (this includes both infants and adults because we cannot KNOW who is actually regenerate --- we can only presume in both cases).
Originally posted by Peters
You are missing the relevance and necessity of union and identity to the Seed BY FAITH.
No, I don't miss it at all. Faith is greatly important. Just do not forget that circumcision itself was a sign and seal of faith. Quit acting like it had such a different meaning from baptism.
Originally posted by Peters
So you agree that God is NOT promising your covenant kids salvation or that they are in fact saved?
No, I don't agree. God DOES promise to be a God to all of Abraham's descendants, which includes my children, since I myself am a descendant of Abraham. But I don't think this promise was intended to be an unbreakable rule, anymore than Proverbs 22:6 is an ironclad guarantee 100% of the time.
You tell me how often the Proverbs 22:6 promise will absolutely hold true.
Originally posted by Peters
You may say that people only enter into the NC by faith, but Scripture disagrees with you. Go read Romans 11, Hebrews 6, and Hebrews 10. Then explain to me how you can believe that there are not nonelect members in the New Covenant.
You miss quoted me. I said BASED on faith. A person is baptised into the New Covenant BASED on faith. That is, I believe this person demonstrates that he has true faith in Christ, therefore I will baptise you into the New Covenant. He is baptised into the New Covenant BASED on his faith.
I don't understand how what you said here is different from what I said about your position. How is "by faith" any different from "based on faith"???
Originally posted by Peters
You are missing my point that the children of believers are BORN members of the New Covenant, regardless of whether you baptize them or not. If you do not baptize them, then you are essentially disagreeing with God, telling Him, "No, my kid is NOT in covenant with you!" It is a sin not to baptize your children. But the baptism itself is not what PUTS them in covenant with God. Rather, you baptize them because they are ALREADY in covenant with God. Read Genesis 17 . . . this is precisely how it worked in the Abrahamic covenant.
No this has not been you point. Your point is that there is something salvific promised to children by virtue of their parents´ faith in Christ. To you guys there´s much more going on than "œI´m doing it because I´m told to do it".
Yes, this is my point. I do not appreciate you telling me what my point is and is not. And yes, salvation is promised to the children of believers. This doesn't always pan out, though, any more than Proverbs 22:6 does. But REGARDLESS of that, we DO know that our kids are CERTAINLY covenant members, and are therefore REQUIRED to receive the covenant sign. Even paedobaptists who disagree with me regarding presumptive regeneration agree with me on this.
Originally posted by Peters
You said:
Yes, the child has to be regenerated by the Holy Spirit and saved just like anyone else. Of course, this may happen in infancy, or it may not
Why would this not happen to a covenant child in infancy?
You would have to ask God. How in the world do you think I (or anyone else) could answer a question like that? Whether God chooses to regenerate someone in infancy, or whether He chooses to regenerate them later (or never) is His business, not mine.
Originally posted by Peters
If the covenant child proves to be unsaved, what went wrong at the time of infancy?
Apparently God chose not to regenerate him/her then.
Originally posted by Peters
In light of the above, what´s the real difference?
The difference between what?
Originally posted by Peters
Is the non-covenant child not promised that he will be saved if he places his faith in Christ alone?
Everyone is promised that.
But not everyone is promised that they will be regenerated and saved.
However, regeneration and salvation IS promised to the children of believers.
Does this end up happening 100% of the time? NO!
But does God choose to elect a WHOLE LOT MORE children of believers, than children of unbelievers? YES!
God Sovereignly chooses to send His saving grace through family lines.
But again, let's get back to paedobaptism itself. You can be a paedobaptist without agreeing with presumptive regeneration/election.
--- All you need to realize is that the children of believers are automatically members of the New Covenant. This is ALL that is necessary to establish the command to baptize infants.
And establishing the place of infants & young children in the covenant is a very easy thing to do.
I like what Paul recommended on another thread. Get out your concordance, and look up every instance of "child", "children", infant", "descendants", etc. --- Upon doing that, it should be VERY clear to you that the children of believers are automatically included in the covenant.