Covenants

Status
Not open for further replies.
I want to study the covenants more deeply this next year. Any book recommendations?
Witsius: Economy of the Covenants
Roberts: Mystery and Marrow of the Bible
Fisher: Marrow of Modern Divinity with Boston's Notes
Colquhoun: 'The Covenant of Grace', 'The Covenant of Works', and 'A Treatise on the Law and Gospel'
Bonker: Ruin and Redemption
 
On top of the older sources already named, and If you’re starting from scratch:

Covenants made simple Jonty Rhodes
God to Us, Stephen Myers
Crossway anthology on Covenant Theology
Reformed covenant theology Harrison Perkins
 
On top of the older sources already named, and If you’re starting from scratch:

Covenants made simple Jonty Rhodes
God to Us, Stephen Myers
Crossway anthology on Covenant Theology
Reformed covenant theology Harrison Perkins
Hey now. Bonker isn't older. Lol.

ETA: Bonker is quite a good modern introduction. Berith Press' version of Roberts is eminently readable and hard to surpass if you really want to get exhaustive.
 
 
God to Us, Stephen Myers
This is the best modern treatment and an excellent starting point for someone new to CT. I think it's especially helpful in that most new to CT are coming out of a dispensational background and Myers has an excellent section showing dispensationalism's errors and how it is not a biblical teaching.
 
This is the best modern treatment and an excellent starting point for someone new to CT. I think it's especially helpful in that most new to CT are coming out of a dispensational background and Myers has an excellent section showing dispensationalism's errors and how it is not a biblical teaching.
I agree. It was a great book. He wrote clearly and charitably. I would add two things:

1. If someone is completely new to CT, Rhodes is a good start, especially if they are not used to reading theology. Myers might be too much for the uninitiated.

2. Perkins was great for me to read after reading Myers as a good way to tie everything together. He helps give dogmatic conclusions for all of Myers’ exegesis and biblical theology.

They differ on a few things (repub.), but it’s not insurmountable.

If someone was a student of theology and wanted to know more, I think I would hand them those two books and say read Myers then Perkins.
 
I always like to encourage making good study use of the Westminster Confession of Faith Chapter 7, "Of God’s Covenant with Man," with its Scripture references. And I humbly offer the following 4-part series of articles I wrote for the Alliance of Confessing Evangelicals based on my church membership class teaching through this chapter (heavy in footnotes as is my notorious way intending to make suggestions to drill down on for those who want to go deeper):

https://placefortruth.org/covenant-clarified/

https://placefortruth.org/working-through-the-covenant-of-works/

https://placefortruth.org/could-adam-have-earned-eternal-life/

https://placefortruth.org/the-covenant-of-grace/

My class lectures on WCF 7 is available here if interested (which offer extra footnotes and at the end suggested readings):
Pt 1: https://www.sermonaudio.com/sermons/1292167297172
Pt 2: https://www.sermonaudio.com/sermons/121621459232745

Also, I recommend studying Westminster Larger Catechism Q&As 30-36 with its Scripture references.
 
Aside from those mentioned I love Boston's View of the Covenant of Grace. This is my favorite volume on the covenants besides Roberts' massive 1600 page work.
 
What are the best place to access these?
I got mine downloading a PDF from internet archive. I enjoy reading the electronic version of the original: https://archive.org/details/viewofcovenantof02bost/mode/2up

You can find an ebook format on monergism: https://www.monergism.com/view-covenant-grace-ebook

If you want to get a last minute Christmas present for yourself, you can purchase the original first edition here! https://www.abebooks.com/first-edition/View-Covenant-Grace-sacred-records-etc.etc/32140945893/bd

That's all for Boston. I think I got Roberts here: https://quod.lib.umich.edu/e/eebo/A57385.0001.001?view=toc
 
Surprised no one mentioned AW Pink's Divine covenants!
Excellent book at least for an introduction
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top