Cricket Wireless

Status
Not open for further replies.

Notthemama1984

Puritan Board Post-Graduate
Has anyone here had a Cricket Phone? They are considerably cheaper than everyone and they do not have contracts. I am not happy with T-Mobile and am thinking of switching when my contract is up.

Any advice?
 
Has anyone here had a Cricket Phone? They are considerably cheaper than everyone and they do not have contracts. I am not happy with T-Mobile and am thinking of switching when my contract is up.

Any advice?

The important thing to consider is coverage. I have been on Suncom-ATT(I)-Cingular-ATT(II) and had no problems. My son had Cricket but could not get a good signal at home. After switching to Cellular South it was slightly improved but not much.

Perhaps see what service your friends have and check their signal strength icon where you are.
 
My husband had Cricket and it had its pros and cons.

Pros- no contract. That was the most important part. You got all minutes, anytime minutes, rather than having to keep track of day/night. And it was a fixed rate--never have to worry about overages.

Cons- VERY limited coverage area. For us, if we left our city, we didn't have coverage, which is not good for roadtrips or frequent travel. As it turned out we ended up needing another phone just to handle out of town coverage. Also, they had an advertised price of $30 a month for unlimited local calls. However, for some reason, when my husband tried to call me at work (a local call), it considered it to be a long-distance call and wouldn't connect. We never did figure out what was wrong but ended up just caving and getting the $45 service which included long-distance. And the customer service leaves a LOT to be desired.
 
Also, they had an advertised price of $30 a month for unlimited local calls. However, for some reason, when my husband tried to call me at work (a local call), it considered it to be a long-distance call and wouldn't connect. We never did figure out what was wrong but ended up just caving and getting the $45 service which included long-distance. And the customer service leaves a LOT to be desired.

It doesn't matter where you live, it matters where the phone lives. For example, the local exchange for my Verizon cell is 40 miles from where I live. It doesn't matter for me, since I have a nationwide plan. But I could see where it would trip up someone with 'local' service.
 
This probably won't be a problem, but if you happen to live in a house with a basement, I'd check the coverage in that area of the home first. When we first moved to Louisville, we were still under contract with AT&T wireless, and we discovered that the phones did not ring in the basement. We had a friend visit us, and his phone rang ON ROAM in our basement. We waited for the contract to expire and switched to Verizon and have never had a problem.

Other than that, all I can say is that Cricket is the official cell phone for the Louisville Bats (AAA baseball team). :D
 
Has anyone here had a Cricket Phone? They are considerably cheaper than everyone and they do not have contracts. I am not happy with T-Mobile and am thinking of switching when my contract is up.

Any advice?


I've had cricket for years. I will probably give it up soon as I don't talk on my phone much anymore. However there was time when I was talking several thousand minutes per month and I would have four figures in phone bills if I didn't have cricket.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top