Wireless Internet Plans

Status
Not open for further replies.

Webservant

Puritan Board Sophomore
ATT = 5 GB of data, free wireless card, $51/month
Verizon = 5 GB of data, free wireless card, $59/month

Both are too much, In my humble opinion. Anyone know of cheaper plans?
 
A cheaper way is not to get a wireless internet plan.

What necessitates it? Many places have WiFi.
Believe me, if there were enough places which had WiFi I wouldn't be looking at all. There is some data updated by my employer 3 times daily, and if I don't have access to the VPN I can lose money.

$51 a month is too much, by the way - which is why I am asking here.
 
A cheaper way is not to get a wireless internet plan.

What necessitates it? Many places have WiFi.
Believe me, if there were enough places which had WiFi I wouldn't be looking at all. There is some data updated by my employer 3 times daily, and if I don't have access to the VPN I can lose money.

$51 a month is too much, by the way - which is why I am asking here.

Roger. I'm just not aware of cheaper plans than that. That's a typical price.

What does "...that's too much..." mean?

Are you saying: "That's much more than it should cost" or "I can't afford that much"?
 
Do you have a 3G phone you can tether to your laptop? The rates may be cheaper than a dedicated wireless connection.
 
At my work we use all the major air cards and plans and we buy them in bulk and they are still $50/month, so I doubt you will find anything cheaper, but I hope you do.

Terry
 
At my work we use all the major air cards and plans and we buy them in bulk and they are still $50/month, so I doubt you will find anything cheaper, but I hope you do.

Terry
I forgot to say the $51 plan is with a discount because I work for "WeSaySo" corporation.
 
Rich, the prices you quoted for air cards are basically the going rate. I think all of the major wireless carriers charge $59 per month.
 
Rich, you said you can lose money if you're not connected. Will the money you'll lose be greater than the cost of the air card?
 
Rich,

Panera Bread and Caribou Coffee have free hotspots. Starbucks is through T-Mobile and it costs $20/month. Last time I checked the Maryland House on I95 had free internet as well as the north and southbound rest stops on I95 south of Baltimore (just south of route 32).
 
Rich, the prices you quoted for air cards are basically the going rate. I think all of the major wireless carriers charge $59 per month.
I am quickly finding that out. I am not paying that much. I'll wait.

I think that's been the price for at least a year, unless there's more of a limited use plan that may be available.

As Bill noted it is possible to use your phone as a modem, but you'll have to check with your carrier to get the cable to connect the phone to your laptop.
 
Rich:

Caribou Coffee
Hunt Valley Towne Center
110 Shawan Road
Hunt Valley, MD 21030
(410) 229-0112

Not too far from you. They have free WIFI.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top