Crying Sins

Status
Not open for further replies.

VirginiaHuguenot

Puritanboard Librarian
There are, according to our Westminster Shorter Catechism, some sins that are especially heinous in the sight of God (see Q. 83).

Some of these are identified in Scripture as "crying sins," that is, they cry out to God. Some would include:

1) murder (Gen. 4.10);

2) sodomy (Gen. 18.20);

3) oppression (Ex. 3.9; Ex. 22.21-23; Hab. 2.11; James 5.4)

These seem to be rather common in American society. What others, if any, are so described in Scripture? Puritans like Andrew Willet had much to say about crying sins. Should the Church today be praying particularly in regard to such sins?

Flavel on the Shorter Catechism, Q. 83:

Q. 2. What is the first sin noted for an heinous sin?
A. The sin of murder is in scripture set down for an heinous and crying sin in its own nature; Genesis 4:10. The voice of thy brother´s blood crieth unto me from the earth.

Q. 3. What other sin is noted for a crying sin?
A. The sin of oppression is noted in scripture for a crying sin; Habakkuk 2:11. For the stone shall cry out of the wall, and the beam out of the timber shall answer it. Especially the oppression of the widow and fatherless; Exodus 22:22-23. Ye shall not afflict any widow, or fatherless child. If thou afflict them in any wise, and they cry at all unto me, I will surely hear their cry.

And we beseech thee, O Lord, to be merciful likewise to thy whole church, and to continue the tranquillity of these kingdoms wherein we live, turning from us those plagues which the crying sins of this nation do cry for. -- The Practice of Piety: A Puritan Devotional Manual by Lewis Bayly

[Edited on 11-9-2005 by VirginiaHuguenot]

Good question, Andrew. We probably ought to bear in mind, however, that God is not simply concerned with the external. Based on the Sermon on the Mount we could argue that we are all murderes, adulterers, and oppressors to one extent or another.

Yes, it is important to remember that there is no sin so great that Christ cannot save the sinner and also no sin so small that it will not damn a sinner. I think though the modern mind errs on the side of viewing all sins as equal rather than recognizing that some sins are aggravated.

Flavel's comments in full present a balanced perspective I believe:

Of the Inequality of Sin.
Q. 83. Are all transgressions of the law equally heinous?
A. Some sins in themselves, and by reason of several aggravations, are more heinous in the sight of God than others.

Q. 1. Whence ariseth the first difference of sin?
A. The first difference betwixt one sin and another, ariseth from the immediate object, against which the sin is committed; on this account, sins immediately committed against God, are more heinous than sins immediately committed against man; 1 Samuel 2:25. If one man sin against another, the judge shall judge him: But if a man sin against the Lord, who shall intreat for him? And all sins of the first table are greater than those of the second: yet there are crying sins against the second.

Q. 2. What is the first sin noted for an heinous sin?
A. The sin of murder is in scripture set down for an heinous and crying sin in its own nature; Genesis 4:10. The voice of thy brother´s blood crieth unto me from the earth.

Q. 3. What other sin is noted for a crying sin?
A. The sin of oppression is noted in scripture for a crying sin; Habakkuk 2:11. For the stone shall cry out of the wall, and the beam out of the timber shall answer it. Especially the oppression of the widow and fatherless; Exodus 22:22-23. Ye shall not afflict any widow, or fatherless child. If thou afflict them in any wise, and they cry at all unto me, I will surely hear their cry.

Q. 4. What is reckoned in scripture an heinous sin against the first table.
A. The sin of atheism, or denying the being of a God, is a sin of the first magnitude; Job 31:28. This also were an iniquity to be punished by the judge; for I should have denied the God that is above. This was the sin of Pharaoh; Exodus 5:2. And Pharaoh said, Who is the Lord, that I should obey his voice to let Israel go? I know not the Lord, neither will I let Israel go.

Q. 5. What other sin is heinous in God´s account?
A. The sin of idolatry is a most heinous sin, and goes nearer to the heart of God than other sins do; Ezekiel 6:9. And they that escape of you, shall remember me among the nations whither they shall be carried captives; because I am broken with their whorish heart, which hath departed from me, and with their eyes, which go a whoring after their idols; and they shall lothe themselves, for the evils which they have committed in all their abominations. Jeremiah 44:4. O do not this abominable thing that I hate.

Q. 6. What is the most heinous of all the sins in the world?
A. The sin against the Holy Ghost is the most heinous of all other sins, and shall never be forgiven by him; Matthew 12:31. All manner of sin and blasphemy shall be forgiven unto men; but the blasphemy against the Holy Ghost shall not be forgiven unto men.

Q. 7. From whence doth this scripture aggravate sin?
A. The Spirit of God in scripture aggravates and estimates sin, from the degree of light and knowledge men sin against; Luke 12:47. And that servant which knew his Lord´s will, and prepared not himself, neither did according to his will, shall be beaten with many stripes. John 15:22. If I had not come, and spoken unto them, they had not had sin: But now they have no cloak for their sin.

Q. 8. What is the second thing that aggravates sin?
A. The more mercies any man sins against, the greater is his sin; Romans 2:4. Or despisest thou the riches of his goodness, and forbearance, and long suffering, not knowing that the goodness of God leadeth thee to repentance? And especially when it is against spiritual mercies, and means of salvation; Hebrews 2:3. How shall we escape, if we neglect so great salvation? &c.

Q. 9. Are heinous and crying sins capable of forgiveness?
A. Yes; great and heinous sins are capable of forgiveness, upon true repentance; Isaiah 1:18. Though your sins be as scarlet, they shall be as white as snow; though they be red like crimson, they shall be as wool.

Q. 10. From what fountain doth the pardon of all sins, both great and small, flow?
A. They all flow from the free grace of God; Luke 7:41-42. And when they had nothing to pay, he forgave them both. And through the meritorious, satisfying blood of Christ; Ephesians 1:7. In whom we have redemption through his blood, the forgiveness of sins, according to the riches of his grace.

Q. 11. What is the first inference hence?
A. Though some sins are more heinous than others, yet no sinner should absolutely despair of mercy; for the vilest have been pardoned; 1 Corinthians 6:11. And such were some of you: But ye are washed, but ye are sanctified, but ye are justified, &c.

Q. 12. What is the second inference hence?
A. That there are different degrees of torments in hell, proportioned to the different degrees of sins on earth; Matthew 11:21-22: Wo unto thee, Chorazin, wo unto thee, Bethsaida: For if the mighty works which were done in you, had been done in Tyre and Sidon, they would have repented long ago in sackcloth and ashes. But I say unto you, it shall be more tolerable for Tyre and Sidon, at the day of judgment, than for you.

Q. 13. What is the third inference hence?
A. That great sinners, when pardoned and received to mercy, should excel all others in love to Christ; Luke 7:42-48. Which of them will love him most? Simon answered and said, I suppose that he to whom he forgave most. And he said unto him, Thou hast rightly judged.

Q. 14. What is the last inference hence?
A. Let no man neglect Christ, because his sins are not so heinous as others; because the least sin without Christ is damning; Romans 6:23. For the wages of sin is death, &c. And greater sinners are often called when lesser are not; Matthew 21:31-32. The publicans and harlots go into the kingdom of God before you.

Westminster Larger Catechism:

Q150: Are all transgressions of the law of God equally heinous in themselves, and in the sight of God?
A150: All transgressions of the law of God are not equally heinous; but some sins in themselves, and by reason of several aggravations, are more heinous in the sight of God than others.[1]

1. John 19:11; Ezek. 8:6, 13, 15; I John 5:16; Psa. 78:17, 32, 56

Q151: What are those aggravations that make some sins more heinous than others?
A151: Sins receive their aggravations,
1. From the persons offending:[1] if they be of riper age,[2] greater experience or grace,[3] eminent for profession,[4] gifts,[5] place,[6] office,[7] guides to others,[8] and whose example is likely to be followed by others.[9]
2. From the parties offended:[10] if immediately against God,[11] his attributes,[12] and worship;[13] against Christ, and his grace;[14] the Holy Spirit,[15] his witness,[16] and workings;[17] against superiors, men of eminency,[18] and such as we stand especially related and engaged unto;[19] against any of the saints,[20] particularly weak brethren,[21] the souls of them, or any other,[22] and the common good of all or many.[23]

3. From the nature and quality of the offense:[24] if it be against the express letter of the law,[25] break many commandments, contain in it many sins:[26] if not only conceived in the heart, but breaks forth in words and actions,[27] scandalize others,[28] and admit of no reparation:[29] if against means,[30] mercies,[31] judgments,[32] light of nature,[33] conviction of conscience,[34] public or private admonition,[35] censures of the church,[36] civil punishments;[37] and our prayers, purposes, promises,[38] vows,[39] covenants,[40] and engagements to God or men:[41] if done deliberately,[42] wilfully,[43] presumptuously,[44] impudently,[45] boastingly,[46] maliciously,[47] frequently,[48] obstinately,[49] with delight,[50] continuance,[51] or relapsing after repentance.[52]

4. From circumstances of time [53] and place:[54] if on the Lord's day,[55] or other times of divine worship;[56] or immediately before [57] or after these,[58] or other helps to prevent or remedy such miscarriages:[59] if in public, or in the presence of others, who are thereby likely to be provoked or defiled.[60]

1. Jer. 2:8
2. Job 32:7, 9; Eccl. 4:13
3. I Kings 11:4, 9
4. II Sam. 12:14; I Cor. 5:1
5. James 4:17; Luke 12:47-48
6. Jer. 5:4-5
7. II Sam. 12:7-9; Ezek. 8:11-12
8. Rom. 2:17-24
9. Gal. 2:11-14
10. Matt. 21:38-39
11. I Sam. 2:25; Acts 5:4; Psa. 51:4
12. Rom. 2:4
13. Mal. 1:8, 14
14. Heb. 2:2-3; 12:25
15. Heb. 10:29; Matt. 12:31-32
16. Eph. 4:30
17. Heb. 6:4-6
18. Jude 1:8; Num. 12:8-9; Isa. 3:5
19. Prov. 30:17; II Cor. 12:15; Psa. 55:12-15
20. Zeph. 2:8, 10-11; Matt. 18:6; I Cor. 6:8; Rev. 17:6
21. I Cor. 8:11-12; Rom. 14:13, 15, 21
22. Ezek. 13:19; I Cor. 8:12; Rev. 18:12-13; Matt. 23:15
23. I Thess. 2:15-16; Josh. 22:20
24. Prov. 6:30-35
25. Ezra 9:10-12; I Kings 11:9-10
26. Col. 3:5; I Tim. 6:10; Prov. 5:8-12; 6:32-33; Josh. 7:21
27. James 1:14-15; Matt. 5:22; Micah 2:1
28. Matt. 18:7; Rom. 2:23-24
29. Deut 22:22, 28-29; Prov. 6:32-25
30. Matt. 11:21-24; John 15:22
31. Isa. 1:3; Deut. 32:6
32. Amos 4:8-11; Jer. 5:8
33. Rom. 1;26-27
34. Rom. 1:32; Dan. 5:22; Titus 3:10-11
35. Prov. 29:1
36. Titus 3:10; Matt. 18:17
37. Prov. 23:35, 27:22
38. Psa. 78:34-37; Jer. 2:20, 13:5-6, 20-21
39. Eccl. 5:4-6; Prov. 20:25
40. Lev. 26:25
41. Prov. 2:17; Ezek. 17:18-19
42. Psa. 36:4
43. Jer. 6:16
44. Num. 15:30; Exod. 21:14
45. Jer. 3:3; Prov. 7:13
46. Psa. 52:1
47. III John 1:10
48. Num. 14:22
49. Zech. 7:11-12
50. Prov. 2:14
51. Isa. 57:17
52. Jer. 34:8-11; II Peter 2:20-22
53. II Kings 5:26
54. Jer. 7:10; Isa. 26:10
55. Ezek. 23:37-39
56. Isa. 58:3-5; Num. 25:6-7
57. I Cor. 11:20-21
58. Jer. 7:8-10, 14-15; John 13:27, 30
59. Ezra 9:13-14
60. II Sam. 16:22; I Sam. 2:22-24

Originally posted by VirginiaHuguenot. I think though the modern mind errs on the side of viewing all sins as equal rather than recognizing that some sins are aggravated.

I definately agree with this. This is one truth that I learned when I first came to read the catechisms. Thank God for the Westminster Puritans.

[Edited on 11-9-2005 by Jeff_Bartel]

Thomas Watson on Crying Sins (WSC)

Are all transgressions of the law equally heinous?

Some sins in themselves, and by reason of several aggravations, are more heinous in the sight of God than others.

'He that delivered me unto thee, has the greater sin.' John 19:11. The Stoic philosophers held that all sins were equal; but this Scripture clearly holds forth that there is a gradual difference in sin; some are greater than others; some are 'mighty sins,' and crying sins.' Amos 5:12; Gen 18:21. Every sin has a voice to speak, but some sins cry. As some diseases are worse than others, and some poisons more venomous, so some sins are more heinous. 'Ye have done worse than your fathers, your sins have exceeded theirs.' Jer 16:12; Ezek 16:47. Some sins have a blacker aspect than others; to clip the king's coin is treason; but to strike his person is a higher degree of treason. A vain thought is a sin, but a blasphemous word is a greater sin. That some sins are greater than others appears, (1) Because there was difference in the offerings under the law; the sin offering was greater than the trespass offering. (2) Because some sins are not capable of pardon as others are, therefore they must needs be more heinous, as the blasphemy against the Holy Ghost. Matt 12:31. (3) Because some sins have a greater degree of punishment than others. 'Ye shall receive the greater damnation.' Matt 23:14. 'Shall not the Judge of all the earth do right?' God would not punish one more than another if his sin was not greater. It is true, 'all sins are equally heinous in respect of the object,' or the infinite God, against whom sin is committed, but, in another sense, all sins are not alike heinous; some sins have more bloody circumstances in them, which are like the dye to the wool, to give it a deeper colour.

[1] Such sins are more heinous as are committed without any occasion offered; as when a man swears or is angry, and has no provocation. The less the occasion of sin, the greater is the sin itself.

[2] Such sins are more heinous that are committed presumptuously. Under the law there was no sacrifice for presumptuous sins. Num 15:30.

What is the sin of presumption, which heightens and aggravates sin, and makes it more heinous?

To sin presumptuously, is to sin against convictions and illuminations, or an enlightened conscience. 'They are of those that rebel against the light.' Job 24:13. Conscience, like the cherubim, stands with a flaming sword in its hand to deter the sinner; and yet he will sin. Did not Pilate sin against conviction, and with a high hand, in condemning Christ? He knew that for envy the Jews had delivered him. Matt 27:18. He confessed he 'found no fault in him.' Luke 23:14. His own wife sent to him saying, 'Have nothing to do with that just man.' Matt 27:19. Yet for all this, he gave the sentence of death against Christ. He sinned presumptuously, against an enlightened conscience. To sin ignorantly does something to extenuate and pare off the guilt. 'If I had not come and spoken unto them, they had not had sin,' that is, their sin had been less. John 15:22. But to sin against illuminations and convictions enhances men's sins. These sins make deep wounds in the soul; other sins fetch blood; they are a stab at the heart.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back