Cursillo Movement

Status
Not open for further replies.

Soli Deo Gloria

Puritan Board Freshman
I have a question, and I don't really know what board it should go on:scratch:...so I will just post it here.

I don't know if any of you are familiar with the Cursillo movement, but if you are, I would like to know what you think about it. The Cursillo movement started within the Catholic tradition...but has since spread into Protestant denominations. There are many groups within this movement: Episcopalian/Anglican Cursillo, Presbyterian Cursillo/Pilgrimage, Awakening, Cum Christo, DeColores, Happening, The Journey, Kairos Prison Ministry, Koinonia, Lamplighter Ministries, Tres Dias, Faith Walk, and Walk to Emmaus.

Most all of these are ecumenical...and essentially they are three day spiritual retreats that offer short courses in Christianity and encourage piety. Those that go to these retreats usually report a deeper devotion to Christ among other things.

I recently attended one of these...the Walk to Emmaus, which is overseen by the Upper Room of the United Methodist Church. It was ecumenical. I had some reservations about going but I went to see for myself what it was all about. In short, it was very interesting.

Just wondering if anyone else is familiar with this movement and if so, any thoughts?

Hello, Mr. Spangler,

Ah, the Cursillo Movement! Brings back a lot of memories for me! My mother was very big into it back about 30+ years ago, when it was a "Catholic-only" thing. Here's a link to "who they are:" What is Cursillo® ?.

There was a faction of them at the Jesuit university from which I graduated... Back in those days, it was sort of a spiritual equivalent, or "prayer warrior" adjunct, of what would become Opus Dei Catholicism. I wouldn't be surprised to find a number of Opus Dei Catholics among current Cursillo Movement adherents.

I don't know why they took on some Protestants. My mother would be horrified at that, if she were still alive.

I have a brother whom I believe is an Opus Dei Catholic. They generally don't admit it - although one of them, Dan Hansen, had to admit it to the FBI...

I am familiar, but only from the outside. If I'm not mistaken it started with Romanist churches in Spain around the mid 20th century and over the years has been adapted by most if not all of the mainline protestant churches. As you might expect I tend to view them negatively, thinking that at best there is nothing you can't get there that you can't get elsewhere and that there is doubtless exposure to much error as well given the churches that sponsor it.

I am familiar, but only from the outside. If I'm not mistaken it started with Romanist churches in Spain around the mid 20th century and over the years has been adapted by most if not all of the mainline protestant churches. As you might expect I tend to view them negatively, thinking that at best there is nothing you can't get there that you can't get elsewhere and that there is doubtless exposure to much error as well given the churches that sponsor it.

The Cursillo Movement was "New Age-y" over 30 years ago, and from its web site, it doesn't appear that much has changed.

They create an environment where everybody's watches, etc. are taken away for the weekend.

I think the Catholics quit doing it. There's a version of it in the Episcopal church called Vocare.

Keswick for Catholics! Or was Keswick Cursillo for protestants? I dunno...

Pilgrim...you are right, they do take your watches/cell phones/etc. away from you the whole weekend.

The weekend starts on Thursday night and runs through Sunday night. It is three days. Retreats are either all men, or all women. The entire weekend, you really have no contact with the outside world. Just those on your walk. There are lay leaders and spiritual leaders (clergy). On the walk I went on, there were 15 "talks" given on different topics. You sit at a table with others in which you have discussions on the topics. These discussions can get rather deep and emotional.

Each day, you also celebrate communion...ecuminical communion. You don't have to take the communion if you in good conscience can not support an ecuminical communion (there were two on my walk who didn't take communion). Saturday night there is a candle-light service...and Sunday night there is a service in which people who have gone on prior walks can attend. The entire weekend, "pilgrims" on the walk are given random acts of "agape" love to teach and show the meaning of agape love.

I am still praying and considering what I experienced. One complaint I had was that one of the "talks" dealt with prevenient grace. Of course, I disagreed with this. However, all the other talks were pretty much solid doctrine wise. When they talked about issues such as baptism...all views were presented and treated fairly.

I still would love to hear anyone else's opinion on these retreats. :um:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back