Diet and Nutrition

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just an update-- I've backslidden horribly and am pretty much eating everything in sight. Got to change my ways. Especially after reading this today....

Monitoring trans fat in fast food? Get out a map
A study of fast-food products worldwide found wide variations in trans-fat content.
Linda A. Johnson, Associated Press

Order french fries or hot wings at a McDonald's or a KFC in the United States and you're more likely to get a super-sized helping of artery-clogging trans fats than you would be at their restaurants in some other countries.

A study of the fast-food chains' products around the world found remarkably wide variations in trans fat content from country to country, from city to city within the same nation, and from restaurant to restaurant in the same city.

The researchers said the differences had to do with the type of oil used, and the main culprit appeared to be partially hydrogenated vegetable oil, which is high in trans fats.

"I was very surprised to see a difference in trans fatty acids in these uniform products," said one of the researchers, Dr. Steen Stender, a cardiologist at Gentofte University Hospital in Hellerup, Denmark. "It's such an easy risk factor to remove."

McDonald's Corp., which promised in September 2002 to cut trans fat in half, and KFC parent Yum! Brands Inc. said the explanation is local taste preferences. But nutrition experts and consumer activists said it is about money: Frying oil high in trans fats costs less.

The Danish researchers tested products from the chains' outlets in dozens of countries in 2004 and 2005, analyzing McDonald's chicken nuggets, KFC hot wings, and the two chains' fried potatoes. The findings were reported in today's New England Journal of Medicine.

At a New York City McDonald's, a large fries-and-chicken-nuggets combo was found to contain 10.2 grams of the trans fat, compared with 0.33 grams in Denmark and about 3 grams in Spain, Russia and the Czech Republic.

At KFCs in Poland and Hungary, a large hot wings-and-fries order had 19 grams of trans fats or more, versus 5.5 grams for wings and fried potato wedges in New York. But in Germany, Russia, Denmark and Aberdeen, Scotland, the same meal had less than a gram.

A large order of french fries at a New York City McDonald's contained 30 percent more trans fat than the same order from an Atlanta McDonald's.

Partially hydrogenated vegetable oil is cooking oil that has been injected with hydrogen to harden it and give it a longer shelf life. Switching to liquid vegetable oils such as canola, corn, olive or soy eliminates the trans fat, as has been done in Denmark under a 2004 law allowing only a minuscule amount of trans fat in foods.

Trans fat raises bad cholesterol and lowers good cholesterol. Eating just 5 grams per day increases the risk of heart disease 25 percent, research shows. "Per gram, it is more harmful than any other kind of fat," Stender said. "It's a metabolic poison."

Stender and other experts said many restaurants still use partially hydrogenated vegetable oil to save money because it does not spoil and can be used over and over for frying.

Michael F. Jacobson, executive director of the Center for Science in the Public Interest, said his group has petitioned the Food and Drug Administration to limit the use of trans fats and require restaurant menus to note foods containing trans fat. He said FDA is still reviewing the petitions, "even though they agree it's killing thousands of people a year."

In January, the FDA began requiring package labels to list trans fat content. KFC and McDonald's both list the trans fat and other components of their foods on their websites and in stores, on such things as tray liners and brochures.

Jacobsen's center estimated a few years ago that trans fats prematurely killed 30,000 to 75,000 Americans a year. That number has probably fallen, he said, because many packaged-food companies have switched to healthier oils.

He said that the cost might be a penny per order of fries or nuggets and that the taste difference would be minimal.

"I don't think people would mind paying a penny more or getting one less french fry to avoid heart disease," he said.

Originally posted by puritangirl
Does anyone know anything about Kombucha? It's fermented Oolong Tea and is very high in anti-oxidants and natural detoxifyers. Whenever I drink it I feel SO much better - very energetic and healthy. Has anyone else tried it or does anyone know anything about it?

I am learning about Kombucha and plan on trying it after I get good at the kefir thing. Have you heard of kefir? I am totally changing our family diet and diving into fermented foods like our ancestors ate. I firmly believe now that the american diet is causing rampant disease. And not just the normal sugar, white flour, margarine etc but all of it that is homogenized, pasteurized, processed, and otherwise denatured.

Here is a brochure online that gives an overview of the whole idea. http://www.westonaprice.org/tour/index.html A quick sum up is that there are live enzymes, good bacteria, and other helful organisms in all healthy food. If what you eat won't spoil in a few days then its doing nothing for you or at worst it is damaging you.

Another really great short article by the author of the cookbook I have called Nourishing Traditions by Sally Fallon with Mary G. Enig Ph.D.

http://www.westonaprice.org/tour/index.html

The above article also tells of the Pottinger cats study that I heard about in the book I read on enzymes that started me down this rabbit hole of information.

The ground breaking book The Second Brain by Michael D. Gershon MD ties into all of this. Just do a search on the enteric nervous system which is the virtual twin of the central nervous system. It is our second brain and it is the gut. We all know that we have thousands of bacterial flora in your digestive tract. These have to be fed by the live organisms in our fresh live food. If not then the bad bacteria take over. It should be about 15% bad to 85% good in a healthy gut. In people on the denatured american diet can almost reverse those numbers. This causes myriad of health issues over time.

Gotta run.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back