Dillard/Longman OTI

Status
Not open for further replies.

CharlieJ

Puritan Board Junior
I've been searching trying to find a review of Dillard and Longman's OTI from a conservative Reformed perspective. So far, almost nothing. Any help?
 
I do not have a review, but I can tell you it was my required textbook at Puritan Reformed Theological Seminary. All I can say is that if Dr. Jerry Bilkes recommends it; it cannot be all bad.
 
In my opinion, the book is generally helpful in laying out the issues that an introduction should cover. The book is strong in connecting the OT to the NT through the person and work of Christ. It is not a perfect introduction, but it is at least one of the two best out there (I really like E.J. Young's OTI).
 
It's good for the most part. Intros to Old and new testaments are usually cures for insomnia. But I actually liked this one. It is a lot better reading that Carson/Moo/Morris' intro to the New testament.

the section on isaiah is really good.
 
Charlie, I understand that the issues that some have with it relate to some limited areas of compromise D& L make with the critical-liberal tradition in terms of authorship of some of the OT books. If you are really seeking a published review that outlines this, I would encourage you to speak to your GPTS professors about it. When I went through we used E.J. Young instead. This is not to say that it is not a worthy resource or helpful book in other areas, I am just seeking to help narrow your search radius.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top