dispensational quotes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scott

Puritan Board Graduate
Can anyone give me any good quotes from dispensationalists that Christians should not use the Old Testament Law, or that it otherwise does not apply?

Also, does anyone have any quotes about parts of the New Testament that do not apply to Christians (like the Book of Mathew, or at least the Sermon on the Mount)?

Thanks

Scott,

I don't have specific quotes for you, but check out: http://withchrist.org/MJS/ , the WEB site of the late famed lay-dispensationalist author/leader Miles J. Stanford. Dig around a bit and you'll find plenty of Dispensational stuff not to like. Also check out writings by J. Butler Stoney, William Reed Newell, Lewis Sperry Chafer, etc.

Stanford, as well as any *true* "Classical Dispensationalist" taught that Matthew was Jewish in character and only had "application" for the "Church-age" believer.

[Edited on 11-17-2005 by BrianBowman]

"It was a tragic hour when the Reformation churches wrote the Ten Commandments into their creeds and catechisms and sought to bring Gentile believers into bondage to Jewish law, which was never intended either for the Gentile nations or for the church." -- Donald Grey Barnhouse (as quoted by S. Lewis Johnson, "The Paralysis of Legalism," Bibliotheca Sacra, Vol.120 (April/June, 1963), p. 109.)

I believe, but am not absolutely sure, that when I once read "The Gospel According To Jesus" by John MacArthur, he had several quotes by Ryrie and Scofield regarding this.

:mad:

Psalm 119:1 Blessed are those whose way is blameless,
who walk in the law of the Lord!
2 Blessed are those who keep his testimonies,
who seek him with their whole heart,
3 who also do no wrong,
but walk in his ways!
4 You have commanded your precepts
to be kept diligently.
5 Oh that my ways may be steadfast
in keeping your statutes!
6 Then I shall not be put to shame,
having my eyes fixed on all your commandments.
7 I will praise you with an upright heart,
when I learn your righteous rules.
8 I will keep your statutes;
do not utterly forsake me!
9 How can a young man keep his way pure?
By guarding it according to your word.
10 With my whole heart I seek you;
let me not wander from your commandments!
11 I have stored up your word in my heart,
that I might not sin against you.
12 Blessed are you, O Lord;
teach me your statutes!
13 With my lips I declare
all the rules of your mouth.
14 In the way of your testimonies I delight
as much as in all riches.
15 I will meditate on your precepts
and fix my eyes on your ways.
16 I will delight in your statutes;
I will not forget your word.

David was a Christian.

:amen:

[Edited on 11-17-2005 by WrittenFromUtopia]

Originally posted by Scott
Can anyone give me any good quotes from dispensationalists that Christians should not use the Old Testament Law, or that it otherwise does not apply?

Also, does anyone have any quotes about parts of the New Testament that do not apply to Christians (like the Book of Mathew, or at least the Sermon on the Mount)?

Thanks
"The book of Matthew and the OT were written to Israel, not the church. When you read them, remember that you're on Jewish ground"

"We're not under the law, but under grace. We get our teachings from the NT." (though we can apply principles from the OT)

Any colorful stories of dispensationalists doing crazy things, like say burning a copy of the Ten Commandments to make a point?

Originally posted by tcalbrecht
"It was a tragic hour when the Reformation churches wrote the Ten Commandments into their creeds and catechisms and sought to bring Gentile believers into bondage to Jewish law, which was never intended either for the Gentile nations or for the church." -- Donald Grey Barnhouse (as quoted by S. Lewis Johnson, "The Paralysis of Legalism," Bibliotheca Sacra, Vol.120 (April/June, 1963), p. 109.)

S. Lewis Johnson's teaching can be found on http://www.monergism.com/thethreshold/articles/topic/audio.html

As for that statement by Johnson, I think NCT would fall under it as well, wouldn't it?

Originally posted by blhowes
Originally posted by Scott

Thanks
"The book of Matthew and the OT were written to Israel, not the church. When you read them, remember that you're on Jewish ground"

"We're not under the law, but under grace. We get our teachings from the NT." (though we can apply principles from the OT)

I think that would be hyper dispensationalism where they believe only Paul's works are for the Church, with Hebrews to Revelation being written for end time Jewish believers.

Have a look at this:

250Timeline.gif

http://www.trianglebiblechurch.org/

Hope this helps...

JM

"¦He was of course always obedient to His Father, but it cannot be too strongly emphasized that His life before the cross,---His "active obedience," as it is called, is not in any sense counted to us for righteousness "¦do you not see that those who claim that our Lord's righteousness life under Moses' law is reckoned to us for our "active" righteousness; while His death in which he put away our sins, is, as they claim, the "passive" side, are really leaving you, and the Lord too, under the authority of the law? "¦ The fatal result of this terrible error is to leave The Law as claimant over those in Christ: for, "Law has dominion over a man as long as he liveth" (7:1). Unless you are able to believe in your very heart that you died with Christ, that your old man was crucified with Him, and that you were buried, and that your history before god in Adam the first came to an utter end at Calvary, you will never get free from the claims of law upon your conscience"¦ Christ Himself, Risen, is our righteousness. His earthly life under the Law is not our righteousness. We have no connection with a Christ on earth and under the law.
From Romans Verse By Verse; by William Reed Newell, Moody Press, 1938, Pages 162 - 198

William Newell (Assistant superintendent, Moody Bible Institute early 20th Century), Romans, Verse by Verse, 1938, Moody Press
page 233 (context Romans 6:14)
I am more and more inclined to the belief that in order to a consistent interpretation of the New Testament, we must scrupulously regard Israel only as having been placed under The Law, though doubtless all men have moral responsibility.

page 234 - The Law of Moses has nothing to say to a believer! We know the legalists and the pretenders to human righteousness will cry out at this. But God says about The Law two things that cannot be escaped:
First, that the Gentiles were not under Moses' Law, that the Law, having never been given to them, but to Israel only. And second, that God, who gave to Israel the 'foregoing commandment' the Law "“ has disannulled the same...

Page 393, (context of Roman 10:4), "The vast discussion among commentators concerning the expression, 'the end of the Law' would never have been, had it been recognized: (1) that God gave the Law only to Israel "“ as He said; (2) that it was a temporary thing, a "˜ministration of death,´ to reveal sin, and therefore the necessity of Christ´s death; (3) that Christ having come, the day of the Law was over "“ it was annulled...It is because Reformed Theology has kept us Gentiles under the Law, "“if not as a means of righteousness, but as a 'rule of life' that all the trouble has arisen. The Law is no more a rule of life than it is a means of righteousness. Walking in the Spirit has now taken the place of walking by ordinances.

From Newell´s Hebrew´s commentary, Hebrews, Verse by Verse

Page 232 (in reference to Heb 7:18),
Here we must enumerate again several forgotten facts which need to be held in mind in the study of Hebrews:
1. The Law (meaning the Ten Commandments, with all the ordinances...) was never given to the human race.
2. The law was given to Israel at Sinai, and to no other nation...
4. There is a disannulling of...the Law."

Lewis Sperry Chafer, (founder of Dallas Theological Seminary), in his book, The Kingdom in
History and Prophecy

chapter 1 - "The careful student who distinguishes the various purposes of
God in the ages, has discovered that there is a distinct rule of life and program for service in the present age which can never, reasonably, be confused with that which has gone before, or that which is to follow. It is a serious mistake to press law-observance in the face of repeated revelations that the believer of this age is not under law as his rule of life (Rom 6:14; 10:4, 5; Gal. 5:18; 2 Cor. 3:11, 17).
So also it will be found that, at present, service is the accomplishment of divine undertakings never before revealed and its motives are alone the mighty governing principles of grace.

[Edited on 3-21-2006 by Dan....]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back