Dogs: Need Expert Recommendations for Guard/Watch Dog

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've heard that Poodles actually have hair vice fur and don't cause the same allergy problems. They're supposed to be intelligent and good guard dogs too.



Yeah, a toy poodle is just the thing for biting an intruder's toes off!! :lol::lol:
I didn't link to a toy poodle. I linked to a Standard Poodle.


Sorry, Rich - I was just being smart. Actually, I rather like standard poodles - they are the only type that can really be classified as a "dog" - I can't stand yappy little fur balls!
 
My little dog is perfect as a guard dog for me! He definitely would never injure anyone but he tells me much about whats going on outdoors and whether anyone is nearby. He is a West Highland White Terrier and I'm sure he couldnt be classed as a serious guard dog but he surely does his job well and is such a great companior and loves kids!
He isnt always truthful as he occasionally calls me to the door and no one is there! LOL I keep trying to reinforce his job description as I live alone and have a hearing loss but he just seems extra sensitive and wants to be sure I know all that occurs! He is an indoor dog and is always quiet unless summoning me to the door!!
 
Ultimately what sparked my interest in specifically a guard dog is that my children like to play in the woods immediately behind my house. While we can see and hear them from the house and back deck there is a risk. I was in the woods with my family the one day and a dog came on the other side of the creek barking at us. Now granted the tail was wagging and it may have been friendly but you never know. It was frantically trying to find a path through the brush to get to us but was unsuccessful. It made me think when if the kids were at there one play spot where the dog could have got to them. Like someone said it only takes two seconds. It would be nice to have a family pet that could provide some form of determent.

Also, I am unarmed. If an intruder broke into my house I would possibly have no way of knowing and be defenseless in protecting my family. I have been considering options and this would be just one step in additional security for my household.

I just so happen to live in one of the safest cities in the country (Cary), but I feel it is wise nonetheless to be prepared to protect the family.

Since you seem to be planning to get a dog that would be basically alone with the children if when they are in the woods, I would say you also have to get a breed that's known to be good with kids...

German Shepherd

Great Pyrenees
great-pyrenees.jpg


Rhodesian Ridgeback (able to keep a lion at bay) (good for beginner dog owners)
Image:Rhodesian_Ridgeback_600.jpg


Mastiff

However, since "guard" dogs are trained to hurt people, and since they react to quick movements, you do run the risk of your children getting hurt by the dog as children are known for the quick movements, and for even stepping on a dog's tail and whatnot.

If you get the dog, it might be a good idea to have the kids involved with the training. That way the dog will hopefully recognize that the kids are above them in the pack. Problems can occur if your dog thinks it has to climb up the pack ladder by making the kids submissive to it.
 
I recommend the Great Pyrenees.

They are loyal unto death because they are traditionally shepherd dogs. As I understand it, they will recognize your children, both present and future, as yours to be objects of their protection and affection. They originate in the French Pyrenees mountains, obviously, and their size and strength was favored because they were able to fight off a fully grown bear while the shepherd moved the sheep to safety. French nobility favored them for a time and they were used as guard/watch dogs for French chateaus.

They are generally very affectionate and happy dogs. I have met two and they were wonderful. They are quite intimidating though, some of the largest dogs I have ever seen. This is the type of dog I will get next.

As someone else suggested, the Rhodesian Ridgeback was bred in Africa to hunt and kill lions. A couple who attend our church have one that protects their two small girls. I havn't heard anything negative about them at all. They look killer too.

There's always a wolf-hybrid, but since you have no experience with dogs, you DO NOT need to get one of these. You have to constantly assert dominance to maintain control and they will be hostile to anyone they do not view to be a part of the pack. They also have a problem being fear biters. These are for advanced dog owners only, but they look SO COOL. I was around one only one time and it was extremely frightening, and I am perfectly at home around dogs.

The Bernese Mountain Dog is a dog similar to the Pyrenees (one is the descendant of the other I believe). They are not white dogs though, but rather black, brown, and white. They have a similar disposition as the Pyrenees, although I think they are slightly smaller.

The German Shepherd, American White Shepherd, Belgian Malinois (spelled it wrong, I know). These are all basically different versions of the same dog. The American White Shepherd was a German Shepherd until recently. They branched off and they are essentially the same, except pure white. Both these and the Germans are very obedient, when properly trained, and extremely aggressive when needed. The Belgians are a bit more hard-headed and independent, but still make a very good guard dog. They look a bit different than the German Shepherd as they appear to have a brindle coat color, as opposed to the black and brown splotches on the German Shepherd. All are used as police attack and drug dogs.

I have to plug these although it's porbably not what you want. I have a wire-haired fox terrier. He will not be killing any intruders, but he is an excellent watch dog and, if not for his size, an excellent guard dog. He will back up his bite, but he only weighs 20 pounds. He has never been aggressive toward any person, but he has never been given a reason to. He has jumped a fully grown Doberman though. The Doberman was scared to death of him. They really are little balls of terror when they want to be. They fear no person or thing. They were originally bred to follow foxes into their holes, kill them (in thier home where they are most fierce) and drag them out. Tough little guys. Very friendly and loving. They will bark at anyone approaching your home, or even cars driving past. No one comes around us without us knowing about it. (We have 2 others including mine.)
 
Ultimately what sparked my interest in specifically a guard dog is that my children like to play in the woods immediately behind my house. While we can see and hear them from the house and back deck there is a risk. I was in the woods with my family the one day and a dog came on the other side of the creek barking at us. Now granted the tail was wagging and it may have been friendly but you never know. It was frantically trying to find a path through the brush to get to us but was unsuccessful. It made me think when if the kids were at there one play spot where the dog could have got to them. Like someone said it only takes two seconds. It would be nice to have a family pet that could provide some form of determent.

Also, I am unarmed. If an intruder broke into my house I would possibly have no way of knowing and be defenseless in protecting my family. I have been considering options and this would be just one step in additional security for my household.

I just so happen to live in one of the safest cities in the country (Cary), but I feel it is wise nonetheless to be prepared to protect the family.

Since you seem to be planning to get a dog that would be basically alone with the children if when they are in the woods, I would say you also have to get a breed that's known to be good with kids...

German Shepherd

Great Pyrenees
great-pyrenees.jpg


Rhodesian Ridgeback (able to keep a lion at bay) (good for beginner dog owners)
Image:Rhodesian_Ridgeback_600.jpg


Mastiff

However, since "guard" dogs are trained to hurt people, and since they react to quick movements, you do run the risk of your children getting hurt by the dog as children are known for the quick movements, and for even stepping on a dog's tail and whatnot.

If you get the dog, it might be a good idea to have the kids involved with the training. That way the dog will hopefully recognize that the kids are above them in the pack. Problems can occur if your dog thinks it has to climb up the pack ladder by making the kids submissive to it.

This is a beautiful Dog--the Great Pyrenees! Gorgeous lines, smiling face. Alas, too big for the inside of my house. We have Shiz Tzus--2 of them.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top