Doug Wilson At It Again

Status
Not open for further replies.

bookslover

Puritan Board Doctor
I saw an ad from the Wilsonites plugging some of Al Mohler's books, which seemed strange to me since I don't think Mohler thinks much of Wilson.

Turns out: Al Mohler took to Twitter today (9/10) to say that Wilson is selling his stuff not only without his permission, but without his knowledge. Mohler says the Moscow crowd never contacted him or his staff and, as I said, are selling his stuff without permission. (Mohler said the material is connected to presentations to the Evangelical Theological Society.)

Doubtless, Mohler will be unleashing his attorneys on Wilson.

It never ends with ol' Dougie, does it?

I saw an ad from the Wilsonites plugging some of Al Mohler's books, which seemed strange to me since I don't think Mohler thinks much of Wilson.

Turns out: Al Mohler took to Twitter today (9/10) to say that Wilson is selling his stuff not only without his permission, but without his knowledge. Mohler says the Moscow crowd never contacted him or his staff and, as I said, are selling his stuff without permission. (Mohler said the material is connected to presentations to the Evangelical Theological Society.)

Doubtless, Mohler will be unleashing his attorneys on Wilson.

It never ends with ol' Dougie, does it?
What books?

I see that Canon Press did this, but on what basis are you specifically charging Doug Wilson?

I see that Canon Press did this, but on what basis are you specifically charging Doug Wilson?

Isn't he in charge of everything up there? The entire organization, in its various manifestations (publishing, the school, etc.) revolves around him, right? So, even if he was not directly involved in "acquiring" Mohler's stuff, it seems fair to say that Canon Press would not be able to do so - especially from a source as well-known as Mohler - without a wink and a nod from Wilson.

As I mentioned, Mohler's attorneys will want a word, probably starting with a cease-and-desist letter.

Last edited:

I'm sure there is an excellent answer to my questions below, but a little clarification would be helpful to me.

Thanks in advance, Richard.

What does "the material is connected to presentations to the Evangelical Theological Society" mean?

I used to have a Christian bookstore with works by maybe a hundred authors, and I never asked permission from anyone for anything. Were these unpublished works by Mohler? Were they available to the public for purchase? – Or were these bootlegged copies of copyrighted material sold physically or electronically by Canon Press? If not, I do not understand.

Or was Doug Wilson, considered a heretic by many, but not by himself, just supposed to know better than sell material by authors that disagree with him?

I think the hub bub is primarily about Mohler making clear he's not on the same path as Jared Longshore who defected from the SBC to join with the CREC.

For what it's worth, it appears Canon+ may have purchased the material through WordMp3, which is what ETS uses to sell the lectures from their annual meetings.

-https://mycanonplus.com/tabs/discover/pages/word-mp3-

---

I'll admit...this made me chuckle a little bit.

1662896595692.png

Last edited:
Canon Press through the late Gregg Strawbridge has access to all of the ETS meetings audio. They were selling clips of Mohler's messages on Canon Plus without Mohler's knowledge.

My initial thought was that Canon Plus stole the material from Mohler. Let's be honest, with all the sex abuse and plagiarism scandals in Moscow, that's actually pretty tame for them. I now realize that it might not be theft. There might be some 9thC issues going on, though.

Unless there is something public to support any allegations of actual wrong doing in this case, let's resist speculating ill doing. Thread closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back