Doug Wilson VS Chris Hitchens

Status
Not open for further replies.

Richard King

Puritan Board Senior
This morning on FoxNews they had Hitchens vs Doug Wilson discussing the existance of God and the growth of atheism. Actually I think they were plugging a documentary they have coming out where they "debate" and discuss God.
[video=youtube;colcpU4ZxO8]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=colcpU4ZxO8[/video]

It was actually a nice point made in the clip that was shown on national TV, Wilson said he had satisfied himself that Christ lived and God exists...but that is not why he believes.
He stated he believes simply because that belief is a gift from God.

Tomorrow (Tuesday) the same two will be on the Imus morning show on Fox BUSINESS News discussing it further.

I'm thankful but I don't understand why Hitchens doesn't just refuse to debate theists, like Dawkins does.

I have more respect for Hitchens than Dawkins (I have none for him). Hitchens vehemently disagrees with theists but, obviously, is willing to talk about the issue in a predominately civil manner. I can respect that. I think a lot of people find him cocky, and he probably is to some extent, but that also may be a bit of the English in him. I suspect some of the culture of England is quite a bit different than America, and it doesn't translate.

Dawkins, on the other hand, claims says he will not debate, but then takes shots at the side he's "refusing to talk to" regarding the very subject he won't talk to them about. That's cheap. He attempts to keep himself out of reach of criticism, all the while criticizing. Quite cowardly. Moreover, most of what he says is a load of ad hom non-argument.

I'm not much of a fan of Hitchens. I'm not sure that being more outspoken is somehow an English attribute. Christopher Hitchens' brother Peter is also a journalist and he is much less cocky. Occasionally Hitchens' main qualification seems to be being very intelligent and very opinionated and sure of himself with out having much knowledge. But for the grace of God we are all like that though, we should expect it when debating atheists, and not give them moral credit for extending to us respect and humility when they don't extend it to God. Of course sin still lurks in our hearts and I know I am often opinionated and proud of my intelligence but lacking respect to God and knowledge of God. When debating atheists it can be easy to start acting on their terms; if we fall into the same type of sin that they fall into we will eventually drift towards the same tactics and worldview that they have.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back