Durham thoughts for Sabbath

Status
Not open for further replies.

Prufrock

Arbitrary Moderation
Some thoughts to consider from James Durham while we either review what he heard preached this morning, or prepare to hear the Word again this evening; he is here speaking of the simple message of the person, nature, offices and works of Christ being the greatest news conceived, and thus the business of the preacher, and that to which we as Christians ought chiefly to attend.

Of all truths that people would welcome and study, they would welcome and study these that concern Christ and the Covenant of Grace most as foundation-truths, and seek to have them backed by the Spirit; we are afraid there is a fault among Christians, that most plain and substantial truths are not so heeded, but rather things which may further folk in their Light, or tickle their affections, or answer a case -- these are almost only sought after; which things (it is true) are good: but if the plain and substantial truths of the gospel were more studied and made use of, they have in them that which would answer all cases. It's a sore matter when folks are more taken up with notions and speculations than with these soul-saving truths, as, that Christ was born, that he was a true man, that he was and is King, Priest and Prophet of his church, etc., and that other things are heard with more greediness. But, if these be the great subject of ministers' preaching, it should be your great study to know Christ in his person, natures, offices and covenant; what he is to you, and what is your duty to him, and how you should walk in Him and with Him. This was Paul's aim: "I count," saith he, "all things loss and dung for the excellency of the knowledge of Christ, that I may know him and the power of his resurrection, and the fellowship of his sufferings, etc." It's my design (I now paraphrase him) not only to make him known, but to know him myself: there is little faith in Christ, and distinctness in use-making of his offices, and folks take but little pains to know these things:

Therefore, on the one hand, let me exhort you to make this more the subject of your inquiry; and on the other hand, take it for your reproof, that there is such a readiness to snuff when plain truths are insisted on, or when they are not followed in some uncouth or strange way, which says we are exceeding unthankful to God for giving us the best things to speak, hear and think of.

We need to desire meat, but let's not confuse meat with that which pleases our intellect, curiosity or personal desires. Let us honor God, and be content with the simplicity of his word and message, which, when we desire to know this experimentally, is the "meatiest" thing around.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back