End Time 'prophecies' 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tom Hart

Puritan Board Senior
This is not a question, but I'd be interested to hear others' thoughts.

Back in August and September 2015, I was suddenly alerted to a flurry of internet activity of so-called Christians expecting a major event, or several major events that were supposedly imminent. Among the things expected were a comet, something about dark matter rising up from the pit (which CERN is apparently unlocking), a financial collapse ('Go sell everything you have!') and countless other things. There was also something about a government takeover of Texas connected to the US military's war games there.

Also the reasoning behind at least some of this was that it fell on the date of the Shemitah (the year of Jubilee, based on the current Orthodox Jewish calendar), something heavily advertised by a previously obscure (to me) Messianic Jewish rabbi by the name of Jonathan Cahn.

Disturbingly, the conspiracy theorists, etc. disseminating these things were loosely tying it together with a collection of verses from the Bible. They managed to deceive plenty of people.

Then, in the event, nothing actually happened on the specific dates predicted to be so eventful.

Now, I think the most interesting thing in all this is that the only people who knew about this were what might fall under the category of 'fundamentalist American Christians'. I was only introduced to all of it through American acquaintances, and no Canadians, Brits or Koreans that I know had even heard of this when I asked them. But when I looked it up on the internet, there was a tonne of videos and websites dedicated to this.

Who else heard anything about this?

Hi Tom (belated welcome to PB),

Yes, I've heard of these things, and of Cahn also, as when "intelligence-gathering" it pays to have one's ear to the ground (you familiar with that expression?—in the old American West scouts of various parties would put their ear to the ground so as to hear the distant sound of many horses hoofs galloping) so as to be aware of the "chatter" in one's area. For instance, I do think there are so-called FEMA camps set up across the nation to "help" with some unforeseen domestic disaster scenarios; I likewise believe we are headed for a dangerous economic collapse; it's on record that certain nations are exploring ways to take down our electric grid (or other critical infrastructure); others seek to develop biological and/or chemical weapons, and so on. The Chinese have developed military strategy called "asymmetric warfare", where strategic use of small weapons (as in cyber-warfare, or EMP attacks) can take down massively armed nations. These are all legitimate things to keep an eye on.

On the other hand, things such as you mentioned, like the supposed invasion of Texas, the CERN stuff, events linked to Jewish feast-days etc, all appear to be far-fetched paranoid musings. There are indeed Christian folks who go with such things. However, it doesn't take a rocket scientist to see that our national debt is unsustainable, to put it mildly, and all that keeps our economic system afloat is the blind faith that people have in it. I don't know how selling all one has would help, though having some of one's capital in silver or gold (if one can afford such) is not unwise, though trust in God is far safer.

Even government agencies here tell us we should have "disaster-preparedness" supplies on hand—2 or 3 weeks of drinkable water, non-perishable food, medicines, hygienic supplies, extreme cold-weather gear (where applicable), etc—and this does make sense, especially to folks who have been hit by natural or man-made disasters in their areas.

So to me it is a matter of balance, common sense, and educating oneself as to the dangers and developments of the times.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back