amishrockstar
Puritan Board Freshman
I'd like to get feedback from Christians who have taught or who are now teaching English classes.
This fall I'll begin my journey as a graduate TA working towards my MA in English with an emphasis in TESL. I'll be teaching English 101 at a university, and I'd like to hear any suggestions that you can offer for organizing the class.
Specifically, I'm curious to know what kinds of activities you've done and what your philosophy of education is. Did you start the class with journaling? Did you try to build a 'community' (group work) atmosphere or did you stick to lecturing? Did you have students research and give a short presentation on a topic? Something else?
I've been taught a lot of feminist/marxist/secularist theory on how to teach English, and I'd like to shake that stuff off. It would be good to get some advice from Christian educators.
Thanks,
Matthew

This fall I'll begin my journey as a graduate TA working towards my MA in English with an emphasis in TESL. I'll be teaching English 101 at a university, and I'd like to hear any suggestions that you can offer for organizing the class.
Specifically, I'm curious to know what kinds of activities you've done and what your philosophy of education is. Did you start the class with journaling? Did you try to build a 'community' (group work) atmosphere or did you stick to lecturing? Did you have students research and give a short presentation on a topic? Something else?
I've been taught a lot of feminist/marxist/secularist theory on how to teach English, and I'd like to shake that stuff off. It would be good to get some advice from Christian educators.
Thanks,
Matthew

