Exceptions in the PCA?

Status
Not open for further replies.
The candidate for ordination took 4 exceptions. These exceptions were the prohibition of depictions of Christ, the Sabbath, paedocommunion and the prohibition of marrying papists (WCF 24.3). Under further questioning he also stated that he didn't think the term evangelical in the BCO precluded Roman Catholics from partaking in communion in PCA churches since they "hold to the essentials of the faith." This man ministers in a city with probably one of the heaviest RC concentrations in the USA. Not being an elder nor a member of the presbytery, I wasn't privy to the discussions and votes in executive session, so I don't know what was decided regarding whether or not he could teach any or all of these exceptions. His ordination was approved by the overwhelming majority of elders present.

A little off topic, but how could a man who is to preach the whole counsel of God not teach or preach on what he believes Scripture teaches? Does he just skip those portions of Scripture? :confused:

The candidate for ordination took 4 exceptions. These exceptions were the prohibition of depictions of Christ, the Sabbath, paedocommunion and the prohibition of marrying papists (WCF 24.3). Under further questioning he also stated that he didn't think the term evangelical in the BCO precluded Roman Catholics from partaking in communion in PCA churches since they "hold to the essentials of the faith." This man ministers in a city with probably one of the heaviest RC concentrations in the USA. Not being an elder nor a member of the presbytery, I wasn't privy to the discussions and votes in executive session, so I don't know what was decided regarding whether or not he could teach any or all of these exceptions. His ordination was approved by the overwhelming majority of elders present.

A little off topic, but how could a man who is to preach the whole counsel of God not teach or preach on what he believes Scripture teaches? Does he just skip those portions of Scripture? :confused:

I don't know what the official PCA position on exceptions is or if there even is a clear rule, but some will argue that a Teaching Elder cannot teach his exceptions while others will strongly argue that they can teach them provided they explain that their view on the subject at hand is contrary to the standards. Or do presbyterys have to decide on a case by case basis whether the exception can be taught? Perhaps someone more familiar with the PCA Book of Church Order and any rulings on this issue could weigh in.

I'm surprised that someone who denied LA would even be considered as a candidate for elder.

What is the Bowen case referred to above?

What of exceptions to 6 day creationism or exclusive psalmody, for example, or heterodox views on the Sabbath? What does the PCA regard as automatically disqualifying?

Here is a LINK to the Bowen case.

The 3FU are mono-covenantal the WCF is explicitly bi-covenantal.

This perked my ears. I think of know what you are talking about, but could you elaborate on what you mean by "mono-covenantal" and why you say such is the position of the 3FU?

Yes, sorry Danny, I guess it was a bit of an ambiguous statement with the terminology chosen.

My point was simply that the WCF explicitly teaches the covenant of works (hence 2 covenants taught), whereas the 3FU doesn't (only one covenant taught). I wasn't trying to say that the 3FU isn't compatible with a covenant of works.

However, I do know people who can't affirm the WCF because of it's teaching about the covenant of works, but can affirm the 3FU.

Blessings brother.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back