I think the Confessions need to be amended if they are to be used as a statement of what a church believes. Many Reformed Baptist churches have amendments to the LBC. The American revision of the WCF removed and modified things substantially. The Bible Presbyterian Church has amended their WCF to allow historic premillennialism. Since Puritan Sabbatarianism is not held in much of the PCA, I think they should amend the language similarly to the language in the Three Forms of Unity to allow both views.
I think there are many issues that ought to be addressed by Confessions because the state of the church is different now. There are issues that were not in dispute when the Confessions were written but ought to be clarified now that they are called into question. There are issues that deserve more attention.
For example: The Southern Baptist Faith and Message has articles on Evangelism and Missions, Peace and War, and the Family, as well as others I would consider not adequately covered in the Confessions. I think it is good and right to add to the Confessions and say, yes, we ought to preach the gospel to the lost and go out to all nations, yes, Christians should seek peace, and yes, there is a distinctly biblical structure to the family. All these are plainly biblical teachings that ought to be confessed.
In addition, Federal Vision will claim to be completely confessional, and I've known non-FVs who have told me that the Confessions have not adequately safeguarded against FV. By all means, amend the Confessions and make justification clear. By all means, amend the confession to make it clear that women are not to be ordained.
I think many Reformed people get so hung up over their doctrinal tradition and how old it is that they would rather keep the Confession the way it is for historical unity. I say, keep the Confessions up to date and relevant, and allow no quibbles and exceptions of doctrine.