Extended stay hotels

Status
Not open for further replies.

nwink

Puritan Board Sophomore
Has anyone stayed at Value Place or Extended Stay America extended-stay hotels? Any cautions or recommendations?

I travel a lot for work. I've not stayed at Value Place, but have frequently stayed at Extended Stay America locations. I've found them to be a bit Spartan (not the most comfortable beds in the world), but they are always clean, and the ability to cook your own meals in your room is a huge plus in my book.

Having sold to them one thing I caution about are roaches and bed bugs. I sold more pesticides to Microtel than I did to any other customer.

Sent from my most excellent Motorola Atrix

All I can say is that they don't cost much to stay in for a reason. I've not had quite the same reaction to them as James has.... the ones I've been in have been more likely than not in pretty poor repair and not particularly clean.

I have stayed at a few Extended Stay and found them sparse and sometimes not very clean. In the same price ballpark I have had a better experience at Candlewood Suites.

I've stayed at an Extended Stay a few times, and it was fine. Perfectly clean and I liked that housekeeping didn't come by every day! Definitely useful to have a kitchen. (That is, there are certain aspects of an extended stay hotel which make it nice for short stays. I don't actually know how it would be for a long stay.) Only complaint I have about the particular hotel I was in was that there were always some noisy families around.

Really you need to look at the reviews of the particular hotel; most chains vary quite a bit from town to town :)

Before you bring unpack or do anything, pull up the bedsheets on the side and look in the folds of the mattress. If you see tiny bugs, run. As Bill Brown mentioned, bed bugs are probably the major concern.

I usually try to stay a level up at Homewood, Springhill, or Residence Inn when traveling for work. Springhills tend to have thin walls and can be noisy; I've run across vermin in the carpet at a Homewood.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back