Father Josiah?

Ryan&Amber2013

Puritan Board Graduate
I was talking to a guy at my job yesterday who is Greek Orthodox, and we were talking about what they believe. Anyway, he ended up telling me about this guy father Josiah, and I looked him up real quick, and I will say I was very impressed with some of his insights. Are any of you familiar with him? Is it kind of a don't throw the baby out with the bathwater situation? I know the Orthodox Church in my opinion has a lot of unbiblical practices, but it can be a bit refreshing listening to people outside of our circle at times because different groups have unique ways of defending the truth. I thought his insights on the family starting around 7 minutes was really impactful.

 
but it can be a bit refreshing listening to people outside of our circle at times because different groups have unique ways of defending the truth

What truth do you hear him asserting in terms of the Gospel and Truth about God? His flat out opposition to the Doctrine of Grace is problematic to say the least, let alone all the mystical baggage that comes with Eastern Orthodoxy. His story of kissing the priest's hand and how impactful it was reminds me of all the mystical Bethel/NAR Church mumbo jumbo.

If you appreciate what he had to say on family and children...well, you don't need to turn to Eastern Orthodoxy to hear that family and children are important.
 
Yeah, it was his thoughts on the sexual revolution and all the parts of the family life that that has degraded, and how we need to recapture the truth. I like some of his thoughts on parenthood. Sometimes I feel like it can be a good thing to hear what others outside of our circle have to say, because they often use a different language and have their own unique traits about them. In the reformed world for example you often get the same thoughts on the same subjects because the same people are interacting with those in their circle and just repeating the information they heard. It's good to get a fresh and new spin as long as it is truth.

But yeah, the first half of the video I don't think I was really listening to so I'm not sure what he says.
 
Yeah, yawn. Just look at all the places where EO and RCC are the dominant religious and (historically) cultural voices to see just how bankrupt they are. Neither theologically, morally, nor culturally do they offer anything of value.

Of course, a general human inclination towards thinking "the grass is greener on the other side" coupled with them going to great lengths to make their skubalon seem shiny and attractive, can result in them seeming appealing to the easily duped and the unstable.
 
His church is a few towns over from us and I’ve lost good, solid brothers to them. It’s heartbreaking to be honest. He might have insights and might be able to communicate with the Reformed a little (he is a graduate of Westminster California), but honestly the problem lies at the heart of the EO’s theology.

Their emphatic belief in the authority of Scripture AND Tradition, based on the “infallibility” of the Church, drives a deep wedge between us. We might have some agreements, but we must remember the Reformation and our own heritage. Scripture alone must be the ultimate authority.

Plus, I contend his accent is a facade, meant to generate a certain aura or mystique. Some of the greatest voices of the church would never dare put on another voice.

Just my two cents, anyways. Maybe it’s too personal for me, considering those were good men who took that road…
 
I just listened to the first half. I didn't realize he was once a Calvinist LOL. But yeah, I don't understand why people walk away from Sola Scriptura to follow man-made tradition. I just can't comprehend that at all.
 
His church is a few towns over from us and I’ve lost good, solid brothers to them. It’s heartbreaking to be honest. He might have insights and might be able to communicate with the Reformed a little (he is a graduate of Westminster California), but honestly the problem lies at the heart of the EO’s theology.

Their emphatic belief in the authority of Scripture AND Tradition, based on the “infallibility” of the Church, drives a deep wedge between us. We might have some agreements, but we must remember the Reformation and our own heritage. Scripture alone must be the ultimate authority.

Plus, I contend his accent is a facade, meant to generate a certain aura or mystique. Some of the greatest voices of the church would never dare put on another voice.

Just my two cents, anyways. Maybe it’s too personal for me, considering those were good men who took that road…
O wow. That's very personal to you then.
 
I just listened to the first half. I didn't realize he was once a Calvinist LOL. But yeah, I don't understand why people walk away from Sola Scriptura to follow man-made tradition. I just can't comprehend that at all.
Because deep down, we’re all legalists hoping to “do enough,” despite the assurance we have in Christ’s finished work. It’s why the Federal Vision, New Perspective on Paul, and all the cringe Dale Partridge and Ogden stuff is so dangerous.
 
I'm somewhat familiar with Trenham. As far as I remember, he grew up Presbyterian, flirted with easternism while in seminary or Bible college, then swam the bosphorus. As for his insights, a broken clock is right twice a day. He rejected the doctrines of grace, the solas, etc. that he was raised with in exchange for the east's false doctrines and practices. I would rather find someone else to give me insights on the family and the sexual revolution.

As for hearing insights from people outside of our own circles on issues, that's no problem in and of itself. It can be helpful, but as with anything, one needs to practice care. There are many instances of people being interested with "other groups" because they have a "grass is greener" mentality. Some of the romish popes have had solid works on topics of ethics and morality. That does not change the fact that the office and claims of the papacy are utterly anti-Christ.

Seeing as this is just a question on Trenham and not specifically easternism, I'll leave my comments at that.

@RamistThomist or @BroughtToYouByNewEngland may have some insights.
 
His church is a few towns over from us and I’ve lost good, solid brothers to them. It’s heartbreaking to be honest. He might have insights and might be able to communicate with the Reformed a little (he is a graduate of Westminster California), but honestly the problem lies at the heart of the EO’s theology.

Their emphatic belief in the authority of Scripture AND Tradition, based on the “infallibility” of the Church, drives a deep wedge between us. We might have some agreements, but we must remember the Reformation and our own heritage. Scripture alone must be the ultimate authority.

Plus, I contend his accent is a facade, meant to generate a certain aura or mystique. Some of the greatest voices of the church would never dare put on another voice.

Just my two cents, anyways. Maybe it’s too personal for me, considering those were good men who took that road…
so he's an apostate presbyterian to orthodoxy (graduate WTS in 92; apparently already on a five year journey to orthodoxy during seminary; ordained priest in 1993; the REC unexplicably knowingly ordained him in 92 and gave him safe haven to transition to EO).
 
so he's an apostate presbyterian to orthodoxy (graduate WTS in 92; apparently already on a five year journey to orthodoxy during seminary; ordained priest in 1993; the REC unexplicably knowingly ordained him in 92 and gave him safe haven to transition to EO).
I wonder what would have happened if Antioch didn’t take him? It also explains his demeanor. Very crafty and strategic…
 
I'm somewhat familiar with Trenham. As far as I remember, he grew up Presbyterian, flirted with easternism while in seminary or Bible college, then swam the bosphorus. As for his insights, a broken clock is right twice a day. He rejected the doctrines of grace, the solas, etc. that he was raised with in exchange for the east's false doctrines and practices. I would rather find someone else to give me insights on the family and the sexual revolution.

As for hearing insights from people outside of our own circles on issues, that's no problem in and of itself. It can be helpful, but as with anything, one needs to practice care. There are many instances of people being interested with "other groups" because they have a "grass is greener" mentality. Some of the romish popes have had solid works on topics of ethics and morality. That does not change the fact that the office and claims of the papacy are utterly anti-Christ.

Seeing as this is just a question on Trenham and not specifically easternism, I'll leave my comments at that.

@RamistThomist or @BroughtToYouByNewEngland may have some insights.
Very well said, Jacob.
 
I followed all of his stuff, listened to all of his media, from 2010-2012. Ultimately, he simply restates the same EO talking points, but unlike other EO, he has actually interacted with some Protestant primary sources.

Joshua Schooping (a former EO turned Lutheran) has responded to him in-depth.
 
I think a good deal of the appeal of figures like Josiah Trenham comes from the timidity and compromise people see around them. They are weary of men who seem embarrassed by their own convictions, churches that continually accommodate the world, and leaders who need three paragraphs of qualifications before saying something that ought to be obvious. When someone speaks plainly about marriage, children, sexual immorality, and the obligations of fathers, people understandably find it refreshing.

I think that helps explain the overlapping appeal of Trenham, Roman Catholic integralism, and Doug Wilson. They have substantially different theologies and different ideas about how to put the world back together, but they appeal to some of the same frustrations. People hear someone identify an actual evil and oppose it without apologizing for doing so. After enough evasiveness, that alone can seem like an extraordinary qualification for leadership.

Look at the atmosphere in which people are hearing them. In the Clancy case, a mother accused of strangling her three children attracts an intensely sympathetic public following, while the juror who believed her criminally responsible becomes an object of public hostility. Whatever the proper judgment concerning her mental condition, there is something badly disordered about turning the defendant into a folk hero and the dissenting juror into a monster. Then we have the endless wrangling over whether “woman” has any settled meaning. We should not need an elaborate philosophical seminar to explain why there is a women’s basketball league. People look at all of this and conclude that the liberal order has lost its mind. They want someone willing to say so.

I understand that reaction. But a man’s ability to identify some of the madness around us does not establish the truth of everything else he teaches. Being right about the sexual revolution does not make someone right about justification, the authority of Scripture, or the nature of the Church. Those questions still have to be answered.

Then comes the reassuring pitch: But don’t worry. We have the solution. Come into the ancient, unchanging Church. Here is the authority, stability, and continuity that modern life has lost.

That sounds impressive until we ask what these institutions have actually done where they possessed substantial authority. Their history includes grave failures in the exercise of that authority. Don't look at the countries where the fruit of their doctrine is evident in the lives of the average adherent.

If the claim is that submission to these institutions supplies the remedy for our cultural disorder, then their record belongs in the discussion. We ought to examine the societies they have helped shape, including the periods when they enjoyed considerable influence. We cannot be asked to scrutinize every Protestant failure while evaluating Rome and Eastern Orthodoxy by their promotional literature.

Of course, the truth of a doctrine is not determined by comparing national crime statistics, and Protestant societies must answer for their own sins. But that cuts both ways. If someone wants to sell his ecclesiology on the promise that it will produce a sound civilization, he cannot dismiss its historical results as irrelevant. Institutional continuity does not regenerate the human heart. The Fall considerably predates liberalism.

There is also a responsibility here for our own churches. We ought to preach plainly, confront wickedness, teach men to fulfill their responsibilities, and stop acting as though Christian gentleness requires embarrassment about Christian truth. Courage and self-control belong together. So do conviction and patience. We should be able to give people something better than a choice between a timid minister and a commanding personality whose teaching they have not examined.

I can appreciate a sound observation about the family wherever I hear it. But I am not surrendering justification by faith alone or the supreme authority of Scripture because someone gives a compelling account of the sexual revolution. The Church’s obligation is to remain faithful to Christ in doctrine, worship, and life, with all her claims subject to his Word. Disgust with the world is a poor substitute for that standard.
 
I followed all of his stuff, listened to all of his media, from 2010-2012. Ultimately, he simply restates the same EO talking points, but unlike other EO, he has actually interacted with some Protestant primary sources.

Joshua Schooping (a former EO turned Lutheran) has responded to him in-depth.
Intriguing re: Schooping. EO is the stronger Lutheran draw than Rome from my understanding due to the similar view of the real presence of Christ and its Christological implications. Someone going the other way is interesting.

We cannot be asked to scrutinize every Protestant failure while evaluating Rome and Eastern Orthodoxy by their promotional literature.
That is exceptionally on the money.
 
Just look at all the places where EO and RCC are the dominant religious and (historically) cultural voices to see just how bankrupt they are. Neither theologically, morally, nor culturally do they offer anything of value
I don't know if this is as obvious to others as it may be to you. When I look at historically Catholic countries like Spain, Italy, France (before the Revolution), or even historically Orthodox countries like Russia and Ukraine, I see great bastions of Western civilization. And you can't deny that their Roman Catholicism and Eastern Orthodoxy didn't have a great role to play in that
 
And you can't deny that their Roman Catholicism and Eastern Orthodoxy didn't have a great role to play in that
You can absolutely deny this, and very easily: before 1520 there was no such thing as a Roman Catholic country.

Additionally, Russia and Ukraine are not, and have never been, bastions of Western civilization. To the extent that they are bastions of a civilization, it is one very different from the west.


denied penguin.gif
 
I don't know if this is as obvious to others as it may be to you. When I look at historically Catholic countries like Spain, Italy, France (before the Revolution), or even historically Orthodox countries like Russia and Ukraine, I see great bastions of Western civilization. And you can't deny that their Roman Catholicism and Eastern Orthodoxy didn't have a great role to play in that
Yeah, no. Sorry Hoss... You saying that is akin to someone telling me that Swiss cheese is the ideal cheese for a cheeseburger. It's not even worthy of a serious response.
 
I was talking to a guy at my job yesterday who is Greek Orthodox, and we were talking about what they believe. Anyway, he ended up telling me about this guy father Josiah, and I looked him up real quick, and I will say I was very impressed with some of his insights. Are any of you familiar with him? Is it kind of a don't throw the baby out with the bathwater situation? I know the Orthodox Church in my opinion has a lot of unbiblical practices, but it can be a bit refreshing listening to people outside of our circle at times because different groups have unique ways of defending the truth. I thought his insights on the family starting around 7 minutes was really impactful.

I once had a young man ask me about whether or not he should consume media by a controversial figure in the Reformed world. My advice was that you can get the same theological and social takes from others who are more reputable, less inflammatory, etc. Avoid the cult of personality. I think that would also apply when you find insightful figures outside of the faith. You're an adult and you can certainly choose for yourself who and what you listen to. But as a general guideline, that is my advice.
 
I don't know if this is as obvious to others as it may be to you. When I look at historically Catholic countries like Spain, Italy, France (before the Revolution), or even historically Orthodox countries like Russia and Ukraine, I see great bastions of Western civilization. And you can't deny that their Roman Catholicism and Eastern Orthodoxy didn't have a great role to play in that
I'd like to address this comment at somewhat greater length.

First, Western civilization is not merely Christianity. Western civilization is an amalgam of Christianity, sitting on top of an essentially Teutonic cultural background which is itself sitting on top of a Greco-Roman cultural background - and the Greco-Roman part is mostly Roman, with the Greek influences absorbed into and diffused by Roman culture - which was in turn Christianized, which was in turn Germanized and Normanized, each of them in turn being Christianized. If you take away any of these elements - the Christian, the Teutonic, or the Greco-Roman - you don't really have Western civilization.

Side note - Rodney Stark's How the West Won is a good and recommended read. I'm about 6 months overdue to finish up a review of it, but a spoiler: I strongly disagree with small details and also with some larger overall points, but the main thesis is sound. Western civilization is indisputably the greatest achievement in world history up to this point, and according to Stark it's primarily built on the foundation of Christian and Greek ideals (my modification is that you have to include Roman law and order and Germanic vigor to complete the recipe). Stark was, if I recall, an atheist, so his conception of Christianity falls short - but no one can seriously argue that Christianity wasn't seminal in the development of Western civilization to the high pitch it at one point attained (and from which it has since fallen very steeply).

Anyway, my main point is that not every great thing about the West can be attributed to Christianity. Before Christ, the Greeks and Romans had already developed a civilization better than anything else the world had ever seen. No, not all ancient cultures were equal. The Greeks were the first to build a civilization on an idea, and the Romans took that idea and institutionalized it so that it could be durably and more or less permanently imprinted on a vast portion of the world. That Christianity extended this cultural achievement even farther doesn't negate the significance of what the Greeks and Romans did long before Christ was born.

Likewise, in the two thousand years of the Christian age, not every great thing is correlated with Christianity and not every bad thing is correlated with its absence. I can go farther. Not everything good is correlated with positive developments in the spiritual and doctrinal life of the church, and vice versa. The economic and demographic boom of the 1200s came as the church was cementing into dogma those fatal errors that would set the stage for the Reformation and for Rome's ultimate departure into apostasy three centuries later. As Europe recovered from climatological and epidemiological setbacks in the 1400s - as Burgundy and Italy were becoming centers of trade and industry and as France, Spain, England, and the German states were discovering the foundations of modern military power and technological advancement - the vast majority of the populace was sunk into such a deep spiritual stupor that one might almost consider the light of the gospel totally extinguished in all but a few places. Likewise, after the Reformation began, one will look in vain for a 1-to-1 correlation between economic and technological prowess and theological positioning. There are general correlations: as Rome became more reactionary, the Protestant states eventually outperformed the Catholic ones, but it's worth noting that this basically meant England and Germany, and it's not as if France, Austria, Russia, or Italy were insignificant in their achievements. Spain is probably the clearest example of Catholic decline and America the clearest example of Protestant success, but there are other variables here that are so significant that it rules out the simple one-sentence headline. Even after 1520, these were all Western countries with a shared heritage and considerable cultural cross-pollination, and despite the current political state of the EU bloc, it's clear that if Europe is something less than a unified force, it's also something more than a disparate collection of totally separate nations in the way that Asia and Africa are.

Now, to address the comment above more directly once more - it really does elicit an almost visceral reaction from me when someone makes a historically uninformed comment about Roman Catholicism that implies that Roman Catholicism as we know it existed before the 1500s. Roman Catholics do not get to claim that the church was Roman Catholic prior to 1500, and all western Christians have a shared heritage up to that point. Aquinas is not their ancestor; he is ours, and that doesn't mean we have to be proud of it or of him or of everything he said. Protestantism did not break from Tertullian, Augustine, Gregory, Lombard, Bernard, or a Kempis; though it did subject them to the authority of Scripture as illuminated not by the traditions of man but by the Holy Spirit.

Yes, Spain, France, Italy, and Austria have all had great cultural and technological achievements. This was not because they were Roman Catholic but rather because they came from a shared Christian/Germanic/Greco-Roman background - one shared with England, the Lowlands, and Germany. Frankly, it is silly to let Rome make of this a talking point in its favor, because it doesn't work. It's just not a tenable position.

As for Russia and Ukraine, again - it's really kind of silly to call these nations bastions of Western civilization. Their heritage is Slavic with Mongolian and other Asian influences. Russia borrowed Western technology to bully its way on the world scene, but Russia has never been a truly Western country. It's an Eastern Asiatic despot state with nuclear weapons and tanks, and I'd love to see some of our current crop of alt-right Putin fanboys emigrate to Russia so they can tell us how much more free they are there than here. Similarly for Ukraine, whose history is a history of subjugation to the Mongols, Poland, Russia, and the Ottomans - a wild land of nomads and Cossacks, which I suppose represents one or two steps of advancement over the Scythians and Sarmatians that Herodotus so colorfully describes. And even here, their history has been brightened by Christianity. But is this a talking point for Eastern Orthodoxy? Nonsense. Rather it's a testament to the fact that despite the rampant paganization of the Eastern Church from the 800s onward, some semblace of the light of the gospel and of the love of a Trinitarian God shone its way into the music, art, architecture, and culture of these countries. That is not a score for EO; it's a score for Christianity, such that even corrupted versions of it leave behind a better cultural legacy than Islam, Hinduism, or secular humanism.

Long story short: 1) Christianity has improved every thing it has touched - even sinful man at the individual and civilizational level. 2) Man has defiled and corrupted everything he has touched - even Christianity. 3) Neither of these two facts will ever completely cancel the other out until Jesus returns. Man's best efforts to subvert and corrupt Christ's church have not succeeded in completely effacing the mark of the divine and the faint glow of the gospel. For that matter, this is not just a New Testament phenomenon. My Jewish conspiracy theory is that some traces of divine favor yet linger on among the Jews, which explains their continued success beyond what mere numbers would predict; and if that mark can linger 2,000 years on, then surely there can be no great surprise that the legacy of the gospel would live on in Spain or Ukraine. No serious Reformed Christian would claim the former as a talking point for the Talmud, so why would we claim the latter as a talking point for Rome or Constantinople?
 
Back
Top