Favorite Puritan Quotes Needed

Status
Not open for further replies.

JOwen

Puritan Board Junior
Friends,

How about everyone posting their favorite Puritan quotes?! This would educate, AND allow me to compile a great list for my personal use.

I'll start.

"The house built on the sand may oftentimes be built higher, have more fair parapets and battlements, windows and ornaments, than that which is built upon the rock; yet all gifts and privileges equal not one grace.."

JOHN OWEN

Come on, let's see the quotes flow in.

Kind regards,

Jerrold Lewis

"God hath work to do in this world; and to desert it because of its difficulties and entanglements, is to cast off His authority. It is not enough that we be just, that we be righteous, and walk with God in holiness; but we must also serve our generation, as David did before he fell asleep. God hath a work to do; and not to help Him is to oppose Him."

JOHN OWEN

The Bible is the fountain from whence every stream that deserves our notice is drawn; and, though we may occasionally pay some attention to the streams - we have personally an equal right with others to apply immediately to the fountain-head, and draw the water of life for ourselves. The purest streams are not wholly freed from the gout de terroir - a twang of the soil through which they run; a mixture of human infirmity is inseparable from the best human composition; but in the fountain the truth is unmixed.

JOHN NEWTON

"Those prayers God likes best which come seething hot from the heart" - Thomas Watson

It is not lawful to have pictures of Jesus Christ, because his divine nature cannot be pictured at all, and because his body, as it is now glorified, cannot be pictured as it is, and because, if it do not stir up devotion, it is in vain; if it do stir up devotion, it is a worshipping by an image or picture, and so a palpable breach of the second commandment.

THOMAS VINCENT

A minister may fill his pews, his communion roll, the mouths of the public, but what that minister is on his knees in secret before God Almighty, that he is and no more.

John Owen

This applies equally to Chiristians I think dont you?

Ignorance

by Thomas Brooks

"œIgnorance is the mother of mistake, the cause of trouble, error, and of terror; it is the highway to hell, and it makes a man both a prisoner and a slave to the devil at once. Ignorance unmans a man; it makes a man a beast, yea, makes him more miserable than the beast that perisheth. There are none so easily nor so frequently taken in Satan´s snares as ignorant souls. They are easily drawn to dance with the devil all day, and to dream of supping with Christ at night."

"That for as great hatred as the devil has at God's children, he nor none of his instruments can stir a tail of their beasts without God's permission."
"Steadfastness and integrity is best known under a heavy strait and trail. Folks' love to the world is then known when they are called to part with it."
[align=center]James Durham on Job chapter 1. Lectures on Job (Naphtali Press, 2003. 2nd edition) 18.[/align]

Originally posted by VirginiaHuguenot
"God hath work to do in this world; and to desert it because of its difficulties and entanglements, is to cast off His authority. It is not enough that we be just, that we be righteous, and walk with God in holiness; but we must also serve our generation, as David did before he fell asleep. God hath a work to do; and not to help Him is to oppose Him."

JOHN OWEN

Now I wonder where Andrew got that one from??
eusa_think.gif

|
|
|
\/
laugh.gif

Originally posted by fredtgreco
Originally posted by VirginiaHuguenot

JOHN OWEN

Now I wonder where Andrew got that one from??
eusa_think.gif

|
|
|
/
laugh.gif

Oh yeah, heh heh! :D

"Christ is the very essence of all delights and pleasures, the very
soul and substance of them. As all the rivers are gathered into the ocean, which is the meeting-place of all the waters in the world, so Christ is that ocean in which all true delights and pleasures meet." -John Flavel

Spurgeon: George Whitefield said, "We are all born Arminians." It is grace that turns us into Calvinists.

The following are some quotes that I compiled a while back for use in a church cookbook.

The whole life of a Christian should be nothing but praises and thanks to God; we should neither eat nor sleep, but eat to God and sleep to God and work to God and talk to God, do all to His glory and praise.
"”Richard Sibbes

Grace and glory differ very little; the one is the seed, the other is the flower; grace is glory militant, glory is grace triumphant.
"”Thomas Brooks

As rivers, the nearer they come to the ocean whither they tend, the more they increase their waters, and speed their streams; so will grace flow more fully and freely in its near approaches to the ocean of glory.
"”John Owen

How sweet is rest after fatigue! How sweet will heaven be when our journey is ended.
"”George Whitefield

The more we enjoy of God, the more we are ravished with delight.
"”Thomas Watson

Your life is short, your duties many, your assistance great, and your reward sure; therefore faint not, hold on and hold up, in ways of well-doing, and heaven shall make amends for all
"”Thomas Brooks

I have benefited by my praying for others; for by making an errand to God for them, I have gotten something for myself.
"”Samuel Rutherford

John Owen

"One church cannot wrap in her communion Austin and Pelagius, Calvin and Arminius. I have here only given you a tast, whereby you may judge of the rest of their fruit, their doctrine of the final apostasy of the elect, of true believers, of a swavering hestitancy concerning our present grace and future glory, with divers others, I have wholly omitted: those I have produced are enough to make their abettors incapable of our church-communion. The sacred bond of peace compasseth only the unity of that Spirit which leadeth into all truth. We must not offer the right hand of fellowship, but rather proclaim "a holy war" to such enemies of God's providence, Christ's merit, and the powerful operation of the Holy Spirit. Neither let any object, that all the Arminians do not openly profess all these errors I have recounted. Let ours, then, show wherien they differ from their masters. We see their own confessions; we know their arts, --"the depths and crafts of Satan;" we know the several ways they have to introduce and insinuate their heterodoxies into the minds of men. With some they appear only to dislike our doctrine of reprobation; with others, to claim an allowable liberty of the will: but yet, for the most part,--like the serpent, wherever she gets in her head, she will wiggle in here whole body, sting and all,--give the least, and the whole poison must be swallowed."
The Epistle Dedicatory, A Display of Arminianism p. 3

Jeremiah Burroughs

Oh, the worship of God in the plainness and simplicity of the gospel! It is the ornament of God, the beauty of His ornament, and the beauty of His ornament set in majesty! What phrases are here? This is God's worship, but if man mixes anything of his own in God's worship it is detestable to God. Therefore, if we would honor and magnify God in His holiness, let us keep His worship pure, for holiness becomes the worship of God forever. .... Therefore, study the mystery of the gospel. Make use of Christ that the glory of God's holiness may not be to your terror but to your comfort.

Robin :book2:

Christopher Love

"Grace is the understanding that God is a better savior than you are a sinner."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back