Francis A. Schaeffer

Status
Not open for further replies.

baron

Puritan Board Graduate
Well just received my 5 volume set. It's paperback wish it would of been hardcover though. Paperback is easier to read in a car though. I think I will start with volume 3 which has No Little People, True Spirituality, The New Super-Spirituality, Two Contents, Two Realities. Any one else order the set?

I got my set back in 1982. Hardcover, multicolored. I saw FAS at a L'abri conference that June in Rochester, MN. Ahhh, the memories. :)

My mum bought me a set in the mid 80's for my b-day. I was a student at a fundy school then & I read the entire set one year & it changed my life. I was introduced to reformed writers via FS & went to L'abri in Mass a couple of years later.

Yea I ordered the set when it went on sale at CBD and started with vol 1. I blew through the God who is there and was very pleased with FS writing on philosophy and orthodox christianity. His insights were historically accurate and theologically dealt with in a way that was profound. I think that FS's insight into cultural trends is a necessity for us to deal with the things we are currently confronted with in our day and age. I personally love the guy.

I got my set back in 1982. Hardcover, multicolored. I saw FAS at a L'abri conference that June in Rochester, MN. Ahhh, the memories.

I have the multi-colored set as well. Although, mine are all paperback except for volume three. I have no idea why that is, but that is how it came.

I may not agree with Francis Schaeffer at every single point, but he is still, by far, my favorite apologist. He wasn't some mere ivory tower intellectual; he put the rubber to the road, and his money where his mouth was. I admire him for that, and know many were changed by his ministry.

His writings were helpful to me in my college days. I think that's mostly just because, in an academic world that maintained Christians were culturally ignorant and shallow thinkers, he proved otherwise.

As I said I started with volume 3 No Little People. This is a set of 16 sermons they suggest you read out loud. They are so simple but so profound. I have read The God Who Is There, and found when I was reading I could follow him but when I put it down it all vanished. This due to the word's he used. I was unfimiliar with. But 20 years ago I wanted to buy his complete work but never did. So now I have it and will try and understand one of the best thinker's as people say he was. As I mentioned above his sermons are great and easy so far to understand.

I came to Christ reading Francis Schaeffer's work and he set my early theology. When looking for a church, I was trying to find one that taught the same kind of thing. (Wow, did the Lord bless along those lines!) I too spent some time in the late 80s at the Massachusetts L'Abri. I never did order the multi-volume set, but have used How Should We Then Live as the backbone for one of our home schooling years.

Schaeffer's work is what started the ball rolling in bringing me to a Reformed understanding of Scripture. I used to sit and read his materials in my father's office after school while he was either attending faculty meeting or grading papers. Man, that was a long time ago.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back