Free Church Distinctives

Status
Not open for further replies.

David073

Puritan Board Freshman
Where can I find out more concerning the distinctives of the Free Church Continuing? I understand they hold to the Westminster Standards, but I’m looking for a document containing the subjects of “communion season”, views on head coverings, the use of public transport on the Lord’s Day, etc. thanks!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Hi, I'm a former FCC member. I'm sure some current members can chime in. There are some good resources about what you're asking on the US presbytery website, especially under the "Identity" sections: https://www.westminsterconfession.org/

That said, I don't think there is a document that outlines what you want. There is no "Testimony" like the RPs for the FCCs. There's also more latitude on some topics. My quick answers to some of your questions...

Communion season and how it is practiced varies from congregation to congregation. My congregation did it (and believe still does 4 times per year) with an optional but encouraged preparatory service the night before. Others have a longer season of preparation and have less communions per year. I think I heard one congregation in Scotland did communion 6 times per year but I'm not positive.

Officers hold to head coverings but it's not required for membership. The vast majority of ladies did cover in worship, but we had some communicant members when I was there who did not wear head coverings. In the US most wear scarves or dollies for head coverings whereas hats are more common in the UK from what I understand.

I don't think there is an official position on public transportation on the Lord's Day like the FPCoS. I imagine it would be discouraged, but my congregation was also in an area with little public transport so it wasn't an issue for us. Maybe more for congregations in the UK.

I was informed about them in the following way, which is important as it relates to "distinctives", (quite important when considering denominations and subscriptionism, or not):

"With reference to the Free Church of Scotland continuing, it is a Scottish denomination that functions with the FCS Book of Church Order; and the North America Presbytery cannot alone examine and usher in any minister of the gospel in the US. The application must proceed to the Scottish FCS General Synod and fit in with their heritage and their distinctives. Officially church officers only subscribe to the Westminster Confession, which is problematic in interpreting the Westminster Confession without subscribing to the Larger and Shorter Catechisms as intended in 1647-48; and thereby individual congregations are not required to fence the Lord's table by the reformed evangelical doctrines in the Shorter Catechism for communicant membership."

David,

I am a member of an FCC church and I suggest two resources, first this interview of the 2017 moderator Rob McCurley on the distinctives:

tinysa.com/sermon/98171531161

Second you may find resources that help your search on the FCC website:

Where can I find out more concerning the distinctives of the Free Church Continuing? I understand they hold to the Westminster Standards, but I’m looking for a document containing the subjects of “communion season”, views on head coverings, the use of public transport on the Lord’s Day, etc. thanks!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
I know you are quite a distance from Corbin City, but we (the Presbyterian Reformed Church) have a church plant down there. We are identical in our form of worship and practice as the FCC.

Goes back to the Revolution Settlement and the 1711 subscription formula which does not include the catechisms; why they were not included I don't know.
Thank you. Any resources that offer clarity on the two things you mentioned?

I hope someone more knowledgeable than me chimes in. But my understanding is that the Confession is subscribed because it is being subscribed as "the confession of my faith." The catechisms are in fact part of the constitution of the FCC (see for example https://www.freechurchcontinuing.or...reconstitution-of-the-free-church-of-scotland). But it is the nature of the catechisms as instructional tools, rather than confessions that account for the differences in subscription. When the church of Scotland adopted the catechisms, they judged that they were "agreeable to the Word of God and in nothing contrary to the received doctrine, worship, discipline and government of this Kirk." So the lack of subscription should not be understood to imply that disagreement with those documents is tolerated.

As a follow up, since this is not easy to find through internet searches :lol:, here is the actual formula officers must sign.

"(4) Formula (To be subscribed by Probationers before receiving license, and by all Office-bearers at the time of their admission) I, ___________,do hereby declare, that I do sincerely own and believe the whole doctrine contained in the Confession of Faith, approven by former General Assemblies of this Church to be the truths of God; and I do own the same as the confession of my faith; as likewise I do own the purity of worship presently authorized and practised in the Free Church of Scotland, and also the Presbyterian government and discipline thereof, which doctrine, worship and Church government, I am persuaded, are founded on the Word of God, and agreeable thereto: I also approve of the general principles respecting the jurisdiction of the Church, and her subjection to Christ as her only Head, which are contained in the Claim of Right and in the Protest referred to in the questions already put to me; and I promise that, through the grace of God, I shall firmly and constantly adhere to the same, and to the utmost of my power shall, in my station, assert, maintain, and defend the said doctrine, worship, discipline, and government of this Church, by Kirk-Sessions, Presbyteries, Provincial Synods, and General Assemblies, together with the liberty and exclusive jurisdiction thereof; and that I shall, in my practice, conform myself to the said worship, and submit to the said discipline, government, and exclusive jurisdiction, and not endeavour, directly or indirectly, the prejudice or subversion of the same; and I promise that I shall follow no divisive course from the doctrine, worship, discipline, government, and exclusive jurisdiction of this Church, renouncing all doctrines, tenets, and opinions whatsoever, contrary to, or inconsistent with, the said doctrine, worship, discipline, government, or jurisdiction of the same"

I was informed about them in the following way, which is important as it relates to "distinctives", (quite important when considering denominations and subscriptionism, or not):

"With reference to the Free Church of Scotland continuing, it is a Scottish denomination that functions with the FCS Book of Church Order; and the North America Presbytery cannot alone examine and usher in any minister of the gospel in the US. The application must proceed to the Scottish FCS General Synod and fit in with their heritage and their distinctives. Officially church officers only subscribe to the Westminster Confession, which is problematic in interpreting the Westminster Confession without subscribing to the Larger and Shorter Catechisms as intended in 1647-48; and thereby individual congregations are not required to fence the Lord's table by the reformed evangelical doctrines in the Shorter Catechism for communicant membership."
One point that I think is worth making is that the old Church of Scotland (from which the FCC and the FPCofS derive) already had eighty years of history with several foundational documents (Scots Confession, First Book of Discipline, Second Book of Discipline) before the Westminster Standards came along. Furthermore, since then there has been 350+ more years of history and Church courts, so the Westminster Standards do not occupy quite the position that people might think in the constitution of conservative Scottish Churches. For example, it could be that certain doctrines are not inconsistent with the WCF but are inconsistent with the heritage of the Scottish Reformed Church.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back