Getting Ready for Romans

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lane, have you read Karl Barth's (I know, I know...) commentary
You are not too excited about reading Lloyd-Jones on Romans, but happy to read Karl Barth. I'll have to set up my backsliding monitor to check you :p

I'm not happy to read Barth, and probably won't. Just wondered if there was anything valuable in it, on the a-stopped-clock-is-still-right-twice-a-day principle. LOL
 
I'm surprised no one has mentioned Anders Nygren. A Lutheran commentary, so he's not so good on passages like Romans 6. However, there's no one quite like him for getting the flow of Romans. Cranfield is FAR better than Moo, in my opinion, except that Moo does interact with the New Perspective, which arose after Cranfield wrote. But, in my opinion, Cranfield is far better for sorting out the various options and then being in a position to make an informed exegetical choice. You can see the difference particularly in the much-controverted Romans 7, and the infamous "I" passages, where Cranfield has it all over Moo. Cranfield is worth the price of admission for his comments on chapter 7 alone. Longenecker does promise to be a very thorough commentary. I did not like Murray nearly as much as everyone else seems to. Shedd was far better exegetically. I have not looked at Porter yet, but I am very interested to get my hands on it.

I'd like to get the Cranfield set (he died earlier this year at 99), but I would like to make sure I get the most recent printing of each volume, since he kept tinkering with the commentary over the decades. I think the last time he tinkered with volume 2 was for the 2012 printing, when he was just a lad of 96!

Lane, have you read Karl Barth's (I know, I know...) commentary? Setting his neo-orthodoxy to one side, does he have anything of value to offer?

There are not huge differences among the editions of Cranfield, from what I can tell. I have read about a third of Barth's commentary. It is not very exegetical. It is Barth's theology, using Romans as a springboard. It is more useful for determining what Barth's theology is than Paul's.

James, there is some NCT bias in Moo's commentary, the worst of which comes out in his treatment of chapter 7, which I find seriously lacking.
 
I'm waiting for Longenecker's commentary to come out. I found his work on Galatians helpful.

Looks like it just came out....

Per Eerdmans' website, Longenecker's Romans commentary will be published in March, 2016, for $80. It's available for pre-order on Amazon for $56.

You might remember that Longenecker has already published his volume dealing with introductory matters in Romans. It came out in 2011 under the title Introducing Romans: Critical Issues in Paul's Most Famous Letter.

Per the Eerdmans' site, Longenecker's Romans commentary "sets a course for the future that will promote...a more relevant contextualization of its message." Whatever that's supposed to mean.

Oh ok. I looked on amazon and saw December 18th 2015....I guess I did not read further.
 
Hodge, Murray, Haldane, Calvin and Keister. When does the Keister commentary come out again?
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top