By His Outstretched Arm
Puritan Board Freshman
Didn’t know this was already a debated topic but I’m curious what the majority here believes.
Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.
Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.
Thread 'Regional Flood or Global Flood?' https://puritanboard.com/threads/regional-flood-or-global-flood.5522/Didn’t know this was already a debated topic
I agree the Flood was global, but it is equally valid to read this as the Lord God said He would bring a flood of waters upon the land to destroy all flesh and that everything that is in the land shall die.Curiously, why is this even a debate? Am I reading into this wrongly when the Lord God said He would bring a flood of waters upon the earth to destroy all flesh and that everything that is in the earth shall die? Genesis 6:17
Genesis 6:17, NKJV: "And behold, I Myself am bringing floodwaters on the earth, to destroy from under heaven all flesh in which is the breath of life; everything that is on the earth shall die."I agree the Flood was global, but it is equally valid to read this as the Lord God said He would bring a flood of waters upon the land to destroy all flesh and that everything that is in the land shall die.
It reminds me a bit of having to create epicycles to account for planetary motion in a geocentric model. Alternately, the flood could be "local" if literally all land was in a supercontinent/Pangea, but that's definitely not what the local flood advocates are talking about.Genesis 6:17, NKJV: "And behold, I Myself am bringing floodwaters on the earth, to destroy from under heaven all flesh in which is the breath of life; everything that is on the earth shall die."
I know this isn't your position, but wouldn't this view require us to believe that "all flesh in which is the breath of life" would have to be exclusively contained "in the land," since only "the land" would be flooded? What would the scientific ramifications of that view be?
That's not how I've always read the account; perhaps language experts here can correct the common translations such as:The deliberate destruction of all animal and human life
That's not how I've always read the account; perhaps language experts here can correct the common translations such as:
"destroy all flesh in which is the breath of life under heaven. Everything that is on the earth shall die." ESV
"destroy from under heaven all flesh in which is the breath of life;" NKJV
"to destroy all flesh, wherein is the breath of life" KJV
This would seem to exempt fish, etc, that don't breathe in air. Leaving the more interesting question, to me at least, whether the alterations in salinity would impact them. Or whether the increase of mineral content during the runoff from the initial phase of the flood would have offset the additional volumes of water, and left the content of the waters largely unchanged.You’
The view is that the original audience would have only been concerned with the flesh and life of which they were aware. Not the correct interpretation in my opinion, but I won’t rule it out as entirely implausible and heretical.Genesis 6:17, NKJV: "And behold, I Myself am bringing floodwaters on the earth, to destroy from under heaven all flesh in which is the breath of life; everything that is on the earth shall die."
I know this isn't your position, but wouldn't this view require us to believe that "all flesh in which is the breath of life" would have to be exclusively contained "in the land," since only "the land" would be flooded? What would the scientific ramifications of that view be?
On a hermeneutical note, I always find appeals to "the original audience" perspective to support contemporary trends dubious...if for no other reason than that none of those invoking such a perspective share that perspective, and so it is often extra-scriptural speculation.the original audience
This is a debate because the global flood contradicts the dogmas of secularism, and that makes it offensive to the wise men of the world. Therefore, if one desires to be wise in the sight of the world, he must deny the global flood. The counter-argument to your prooftext is that all life on earth at the time was isolated to the region of the regional flood. Much more inescapable are Genesis 7:19 and Genesis 9:15, since 1. It is physically impossible for a local flood to cover a single mountain peak, let alone all of them 2. God has sent many local floods, which is contrary to His promise not to repeat it if it was only a local floodCuriously, why is this even a debate? Am I reading into this wrongly when the Lord God said He would bring a flood of waters upon the earth to destroy all flesh and that everything that is in the earth shall die? Genesis 6:17
Not disagreeing, but how do you know this?The counter-argument to your prooftext is that all life on earth at the time was isolated to the region of the regional flood
I have watched the debates between Dr. Jason Lisle and Dr. Hugh Ross.Not disagreeing, but how do you know this?