Go Set A Watchman

Status
Not open for further replies.

2ndViolinist

Puritan Board Freshman
Has anyone read Go Set A Watchman by Harper Lee and found it to be a worthy read? How does it compare to its predecessor, To Kill A Mockingbird?
 
I have.

It has received decidedly mixed reviews and you'll know why if you read it. I think that it is a window into its culture (and ours, in a measure). I do not regret reading it.

This does not mean that it's not disturbing (in a way that Mockingbird is not), but good fiction reflects life in all its varied expressions--the good, the bad and the ugly.

Peace,
Alan
 
I looked into it a good deal but haven't read it.

My understanding is that it is NOT a sequel, but was an earlier draft of "To Kill a Mockingbird", which dealt with Scout as an adult reflecting back on her childhood and that perhaps her father wasn't as he seemed. The editors at the time said "we like the childhood part, go with that" so she rewrote it and we got the famous book.

I do find it highly suspicious that after decades of Lee saying she would never publish another book, and just after her "guardian" sister died, when Lee was in failing health, nearly blind and deaf and possibly suffering from dementia, her lawyer announces that she had "changed her mind" and wanted to publish this early draft now. And no one has been allowed to ask her for confirmation on this since all communication goes through said lawyer.

So out of principle I refused to read it.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top