God didnt "need" to create us?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stope

Puritan Board Sophomore
The Trinity has no need for anything, there is no shadow, etc... But by the very fact that they desired to create us APPEARS that there was something (love embraced/felt? praise? glorification, etc.?) that they couldn't otherwise have unless they were created by us?

This analogy is what I have heard; "You cant make an already PERFECT love more perfect (like the one the Trinity had in times past), but you can make it BIGGER", and alothough I like the sentiment here I feel it still displays a twice-removed sort of "need", or rather maybe a sort of scratch to itch...

All this to say, God has no NEED for us, but from whence came the DESIRE to create us - and is that desire a variation of a "need" that he couldnt have kept on being fine without if he had never created us?

You can give several answers as to why God created us, none of which imply any imperfection or lack on his part.

1. Because he chose to. We are never really able to get behind that (and Calvin warns us against trying). But God was not bound or obliged or compelled to do any such thing. He freely chose to create. There is no more basic reason why - that's the most foundational reason of all.
2. Out of overflowing goodness. God is so perfectly abundant in all good things that he can make brand-new creatures and satisfy them with a torrent of delights. Of course he doesn't need to; but he can, and he chose to.
3. For his own glory. God didn't need to be known, recognized, and praised by us. But as it is our highest purpose so it is our greatest privilege to praise and enjoy his glory.

If God had not chosen to create, he would not have been diminished in any way. We were created for God's pleasure, in the sense that it pleased him to create or he willed to create us; but God does not derive any benefit from us. That's actually one of the ways we see his glory. He created us, though he didn't have to. He went through all the sticky mess of redemption, not from compulsion but from self-motivated love. If God had been compelled to create or to redeem, "the praise of the glory of his grace" would not be quite what it is.

Arthur W. Pink in "The Attributes Of God" has a chapter on "The Solitariness Of God" which is applicable to this subject.

In addition to what Ruben said, sometimes we must rest content that the answer to our "why" is simply "because."

For His glory, brother. :) We're created in His image, to be image bearers and shine the goodness of the Godhead.

He made us, to share His goodness.

"God, who made the world everything in it, since he is Lord of heaven and earth, does not dwell in temples made with hands. Nor is he worshiped with men's hands, as though he needed anything, since he gives to all life, breath, and all things."- Acts 17:24-25

God does not need anything, therefore the answer to the question as to why God created man is simply because he wanted to. There is much that can be said as to why he wanted to, but it can never be said that is was because he had to.

The answer is given by Paul in Eph1. V6, "to the praise of the glory of His grace." V12,"we should be to the praise of His Glory." V14, "unto the praise of His glory." All things concur and conspire to that ultimate purpose and end, the recognition by the creature in rapturous concert," for thine is the kingdom, the power and the glory, for ever and ever, Amen." Also that a bride may be redeemed and presented to the Son at the marriage altar of the Lamb".Ps45.

the answer to the question as to why God created man is simply because he wanted to

---In a human sense to "want" something means you want something you dont have, or want more of, etc... For example, I would never say "I want a right arm" because I already have one.

the answer to the question as to why God created man is simply because he wanted to

---In a human sense to "want" something means you want something you dont have, or want more of, etc... For example, I would never say "I want a right arm" because I already have one.

I'm not precisely sure what you are saying. Are you saying that God did not want to create humans?

Sorry for that confusion. What I was attempting to say, was looking for clarity for the fact that, we know God doesnt "need" anything, and you accurately said was "the answer to the question as to why God created man is simply because he wanted to", and my response was:

Isnt to "want" something indicative to the fact that the one wanting doesnt already posses For example, in a human sense to "want" something means you want something you dont have, or want more of, etc... For example, I would never say "I want a right arm" because I already have one. That is to say, by God merely "wanting" something (in this sense, be it Hos wanting worship/glory, share His love, etc.) my human mind sees there is a form of a "need"

'Want' is sometimes used in the sense of 'lack' which implies a need for something external to supply some deficiency.
'Want' is sometimes used in the sense of 'desire' or 'intend' or 'choose' which implies only purpose.
Because 'lack' leaves a void, I will naturally 'desire' to have that filled, so the fact that 'want' can mean either one or sometimes include both is hardly surprising.

Because of this ambiguity, it is sometimes best to avoid using 'want' of God, lest people get the wrong idea. Many people do use the term, though, without meaning anything inappropriate by it, and that is usually quite evident from the context.

I'm not precisely sure what you are saying. Are you saying that God did not want to create humans?

Sorry for that confusion. What I was attempting to say, was looking for clarity for the fact that, we know God doesnt "need" anything, and you accurately said was "the answer to the question as to why God created man is simply because he wanted to", and my response was:

Isnt to "want" something indicative to the fact that the one wanting doesnt already posses For example, in a human sense to "want" something means you want something you dont have, or want more of, etc... For example, I would never say "I want a right arm" because I already have one. That is to say, by God merely "wanting" something (in this sense, be it Hos wanting worship/glory, share His love, etc.) my human mind sees there is a form of a "need"

I understand where you are coming from. Obviously the semantic range of the word "want" includes the idea of desiring something that you lack, however I was using more in the sense of God's bare will. God lacks nothing and needs nothing, but according to own will and for his own purposes, he saw fit to create man.

'Want' is sometimes used in the sense of 'lack' which implies a need for something external to supply some deficiency.
'Want' is sometimes used in the sense of 'desire' or 'intend' or 'choose' which implies only purpose.
Because 'lack' leaves a void, I will naturally 'desire' to have that filled, so the fact that 'want' can mean either one or sometimes include both is hardly surprising.

Because of this ambiguity, it is sometimes best to avoid using 'want' of God, lest people get the wrong idea. Many people do use the term, though, without meaning anything inappropriate by it, and that is usually quite evident from the context.

Thanks brother Ruben!

God choose to create us in order to put on display for all Eternity His gretaness/glory/holiness, in that He was/is able to take creaturs that deserved to be Hios objects of wrath, and instead received and become objects of His grace and mercy!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back