Good Commentaries on Romans

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks for the information, all!

To answer your question, Alex, I'm going to be using Stott, Murray, Calvin and McGee, and possibly Luther. My pastor has a copy of both the Stott and Murray that he is generously loaning me, and I have copies of Calvin's and McGee's commentaries (the latter of which was a generous gift from a friend). I also planned to use Matthew Henry's Commentary, as he was very helpful to me in my early days of Reforming.

I definitely am looking forward to the study, but more so re-reading the book of Romans again.

I went to my favorite local Christian bookstore today, but he didn't have either Moo or Murray on the shelf... :(

No way!
Man, do they want business?
Didn't they have "YourBestLifeNow"?
What about the LeftBehindSeries?

Hey, maybe you should just change your reading habits to what they DO have.
After all, if it isn't on the shelf of your local XnJunkSeller, it can't be worth buying...

Oh, you guys -- you haven't been keeping up with my past posts!

We actually have a "real" Christian bookstore here in Louisville. Ask Randy -- I took him there when he came to visit me. It's called the Christian Booknook. The guy who owns it actually has a Banner of Truth bookcase! In his commentaries section, he had most volumes of the NICNT (and OT) series, but not the volume on Romans.

If you ever visit Louisville, I'll be glad to take you there. It's worth it. :)

Oh, you guys -- you haven't been keeping up with my past posts!

We actually have a "real" Christian bookstore here in Louisville. Ask Randy -- I took him there when he came to visit me. It's called the Christian Booknook. The guy who owns it actually has a Banner of Truth bookcase! In his commentaries section, he had most volumes of the NICNT (and OT) series, but not the volume on Romans.

If you ever visit Louisville, I'll be glad to take you there. It's worth it. :)

Off topic, but Pastor Phillips is right on the money.
I was in Louisville not too long ago and had a couple of hours of free time and got to visit the Christian Booknook. I came out with the new translation of Calvin's Sermons on Acts and The Valley of Vision (a collection of puritan prayers) bonded leather edition. If I lived in Louisville, I would be spending way too much time in that bookstore.

To answer your question, Alex, I'm going to be using Stott, Murray, Calvin and McGee, and possibly Luther.

While desiring not to speak ill of the great teacher, I might suggest not spending the time with Luther's commentary on Romans -- Luther was great, but there are much better things you could spend your time reading than his exegesis of Romans. I would put Luther away, and spend twice as much time with Calvin and Murray. Also, beware of McGee (I'm assuming you are referring to J. Vernon); while I've never heard or read his teaching on Romans, he is certainly not the most reliable guide to the meaning of scripture. Read cautiously.

I went to my favorite local Christian bookstore today, but he didn't have either Moo or Murray on the shelf... :(

<GASP!>

I haven't bought more than a handful of books over the past twenty years in "Christian" bookstores....

You mean they sell real books in Christian stores? :eek::eek::eek: I thought it was where you went for t-shirts, CDs by adulterous "Christian" artists, Joel Osteen stuff, bad paintings on religious themes, and such.

[Although, when I'm in Grand Rapids next month for the Calvin conference, it is my intention to spend some time in the Baker store (particularly its back room with used books! hmmmm hmmmm good!!!)].

I was in Louisville not too long ago and had a couple of hours of free time and got to visit the Christian Booknook. I came out with the new translation of Calvin's Sermons on Acts and The Valley of Vision (a collection of puritan prayers) bonded leather edition. If I lived in Louisville, I would be spending way too much time in that bookstore.

Brother, you should have looked me up in L'ville!

I was surprised to find me some Puritan Paperbacks, Spurgeon's Treasury of David, and various titles by Sproul, Keller, Boice, Ryken, Piper, and Packer on a whim trip to one of these Christian bookstores in the Toronto suburb of Oakville, Ontario (called 'Good Books'). Their bread and butter is definitely the typical, warmed-over, broadly evangelical fare which DMcFadden describes so well, but somebody on staff over there is brethren!

Brother, you should have looked me up in L'ville!

I'll do that the next time I'm in town. Our daughter is at U of L. The trip was an unexpected one, and by chance I had a couple of hours to kill.

Modern Commentary - Douglas Moo
Old School Commentary - Charles Hodge

Those two are my go to starting two...

John Murray is standard
obviously Calvin
what about Martin Luther??!!??!!
a lot of good commentaries mentioned. from Hendrickson to Haldane...
other commentaries that may be helpful are F.F. Bruce and Leon Morris and even Joseph Fitzmyer of all people he doesn't follow the party line...

Haldane and John Gill(part of his set) are my favorites on Romans.

My recommendation to all Reformed Brethren is buy John Gill's 9 Vol commentary on the whole Bible. You will NEVER regret it. If you love the doctrines of Grace, this commentary will be prized above all others!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back