Good gift book?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kim G

Puritan Board Junior
What would be a good theology book to give as a gift to a male college graduate? It would need to be something easy to read (i.e., not Luther or Gill . . . probably not Spurgeon, either) but not silly fluff (no Osteen, please! :lol:)
 
What would be a good theology book to give as a gift to a male college graduate? It would need to be something easy to read (i.e., not Luther or Gill . . . probably not Spurgeon, either) but not silly fluff (no Osteen, please! :lol:)

I give John Piper's Don't Waste Your Life frequently as a gift to graduates. Not exactly a theology book, but still a good book.
 
If you are looking for a good systematic theology text that is as well-written as it is well-researched, I still recommend Wayne Grudem's work, especially for those young in the faith who are attempting to grasp the basics of Christian doctrine. I have his full Systematic Theology: An Introduction to Biblical Doctrine, but I believe that he also came out with a more condensed and simplified version entitled simply Biblical Doctrine. He has also put out a more recent, and even more basic work, Christian Beliefs: Twenty Basics Every Christian Should Know with which I have no familiarity, but it has received good reviews.

Grudem received his M.Div. from Westminster in Philly, his PhD from Cambridge, and has as well co-authored the third book that I mentioned with his son, whom I believe to be a minister in the PCA, so there are all kinds of good influences to be found there.
 
Piper does some really theological/exegetical work too, though it doesn't sell as big. John Frame said "Counted Righteous in Christ" was the best defence of the imputed righteousness of Christ to come out in 50 since John Murray wrote on it.

I would say "The Pleasures of God" by Piper would be good. :)
 
I really can't think of much better than Michael Horton's Putting Amazing Back Into Grace. As a matter of fact, I just gave my copy to a male college graduate (need to get a few more now myself). It's pretty easy to read and engaging, yet has a whole lot o' content. I give it particularly high marks for addressing the errors distinctive to contemporary American religion with great skill.
 
JI Packer, Knowing God
RC Sproul, The Holiness of God

Graduation is a great time to give them a genuine leather bound Thompson Chain Reference Bible.
 
If your goal is to give them a guide to Christian theology, I echo Adam's advice regarding Grudem. Nobody writes so simply about Christian truth in the idiom of today. And, as Adma noted, you have three levels of choice, depending on your budget and goal.

If you want a devotional book, go for Piper, Packer, or the Puritans.

If your college grad is not terribly "into" theology, give him Sproul, the best popularizer around our circles.
 
Not a theology book: Dave Ramsey's "The Total Money Makeover" on how to get out of debt, how to save - God's and grandma's way of handling money. It got my wife and me out of debt (student loans, etc...). Not a fad book - gives reasons, myths about debt, anti-credit card, how to give to the church. I highly, highly, highly recommend it to him and you and to the many people to which I have given the book.

I could recommend several books but strictly theology - like Ryrie's "Basic Systematic Theology"? More of a study but all theology. The Westminster Confessions - good start.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top