Good systematic theology

Status
Not open for further replies.
Which leads me to a question. How far do we follow a systematic theology? Did the early Reformers have a systematic theology? I'm sure Covenant Theology can be traced back to the time of Calvin in schematic form, but what of a complete systematic theology during the time period of the early Reformation?
 
ST's have the same kind of authority as any purely human writing could have. The first ST of the Reformation period was Melanchthon's Loci Communes, upon which Calvin heavily depended for his ICR.
 
ST's have the same kind of authority as any purely human writing could have.

I quite agree. Would we then say that hermeneutics is based on "purely human writing?" I ask that question because I have heard many state that their applied hermeneutics have been influenced heavily by a specific ST.
 
They can be heavily dependent on ST's. I am writing a Ph.D. thesis wherein I will argue that ST needs to have a much more prominent place in exegesis than it has had since the Enlightenment. However, the Bible itself gives us its own hermeneutics in John 5 and Luke 24, not to mention the apostolic hermeneutic. That being said, we are inevitably influenced by human ST one way or the other. The only question is this: will we be aware of it and acknowledge it, or will we try to hide it under the rug?
 
Lane, this is a topic that has concerned me for quite some time. What of the view point that says, "I don't subscribe to a ST. While I view scripture through a consistent hermeneutic, I am not locked into a work of man to determine doctrine." ????
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top