I'm not sure quite how to respond to this. I quoted Ephesians 5:11 "And have no fellowship with the unfruitful works of darkness, but rather reprove them", as a biblical guide on the subject of Halloween, and you say the lines are not clear? How exactly? As if a religiously imported pagan festival fundamentally glorifying evil and sin, syncretistically adopted by the Roman Catholic Church, and morphed into Western consumerism has a blurred line or two? To me it's quite remarkable even to suggest it's not "plain at all". Anecdotal experience of how it plays itself out in our own neighborhoods is not a salient argument. Modern day Halloween may not be evil itself, but it is representative of evil. I would encourage you to take a look at what "fellowship" and "reprove" mean in the passage quoted above.
1. It's a reach to say Ephesisans 5:11 is about the subject of Halloween, which did not exist when the book was written. It addresses "unfruitful works of darkness," and as such it might
apply to aspects of Halloween, if those meet the criteria of being "unfruitful works of darkness." So the issue for me if I choose to hand out candy to the neighbor kids on Halloween is: Does "unfruitful works of darkness" correctly describe the trick-or-treating in my neighborhood? I've explained that I don't think this is a fair assessment of typical treat-or-treating.
That is where our differences lie; not with my supposed unwillingness to disassociate with what I know to be evil.
2. How it plays out in my neighborhood
does matter. How else am I to judge it? By what it meant in the year, say, 1500? Or shall the year 1900 be our reference point? By what it means in London? Or does its meaning Nairobi carry more weight? Do I judge it by the approach the medieval Catholic Church took to the day? Or should the approach taken by the elders of my own church mean more to me? I think how it plays out in
my neighborhood today, what it means to
my neighbors, and how
my elders have thoughtfully considered the church's response to the many current facets of the day should count for something. At least something.
3. Many, many aspects of American culture have been heavily influenced by both paganism and, especially, the Catholic Church (because if its vast influence on all of Western society). Those roots are not a sufficient argument for rejecting a cultural practice. You have to show that the practice is evil, not just that its roots are impure. Else you will end up rejecting absolutely everything which might be traced back to medieval times, which is most of the culture.
Again, I take a harder line on pagan- and witchcraft-related cultural products than most believers I know. For instance, I don't like the wizardry in
The Lord of the Rings. I certainly would never tell a believer who's trying to avoid such things that they're wrong to shun Halloween. But I don't buy statements that maintain this should be plain and obvious for all believers in all times and places, because while God's Word remains constant, culture does change, and this affects how we apply the Word within the culture.