Happy Crazy Americans Celebrate 'Most Ignored Holiday'

Status
Not open for further replies.

LawrenceU

Puritan Board Doctor
That would be Cinco de Mayo.

It amazes me how much it is pumped here. It is almost completely ignored in Mexico. There are a few places in Puebla that celebrate it, but that is about it. I'll bet 90% plus of the people in the US that celebrate it have no clue what it is about.

I find it quite amusing.

Very well put, Benjamin. Except that Ireland celebrates St. Patrick's Day much more than Mexico celebrates Cinco de Mayo.

Tell me about it. I'm a foreign language teacher, and it's amazing how much hype it gets from other Spanish teachers!

Our town spends alot of time hyping up Cinco de Mayo and even hold a special celebration on the mall in our downtown. I think it is just another example of the constant "bread and circuses" that our people are seeking out. It is a need to be entertained and amused. A supreme effort to squeeze out the important spiritual part of life and to replace it with the material and vain.

I think it is just another example of the constant "bread and circuses" that our people are seeking out. It is a need to be entertained and amused. A supreme effort to squeeze out the important spiritual part of life and to replace it with the material and vain.

Seriously? It's just a celebration.

Relax. Have a cerveza.

I love Cinco de Mayo as it is celebrated in the US.

I understand the history of it, but I honestly don't care about that. Rather, I enjoy what Cinco de Mayo has evolved into today, which is simply a celebration of Mexican culture.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back