Happy Good Friday

Status
Not open for further replies.
Some were and some were not, but that hinges on what one believes about the biblical parts of worship. The one hymn sung was Thine be the glory, I didn't check but that probably is in the resurrection section in the Trinity. But probably anyone coming to the church off the street expecting an "Easter Service" wouldn't have seen enough to think it was much of one. So, as I said a pretty understated taking of cues from the pretended holy day. There was no notice of the error of the day; but the church is still reforming.
So, given the nods, the pretended Holy day was acknowledged yet the nods were biblical and, therefore, would’ve been appropriate for any Sunday?

Mea culpa. We are at WLC 108 in the evening service we have been going through, and the pastor skipped a bit ahead in the answer and partially 109 and partially on the fourth commandment and dealt with the subject, Why we (mostly) ignore Easter. Very basic coverage of 52 holy days we do have, Sabbath principle and why we don't think holy days of man's mere appointment are anything holy. The mostly just refers to the fact the subject is dealt with all year on the 52 days first days of the week moved from the seventh because of Christ's acts of redemption. Didn't get to monuments of idolatry though.
Some were and some were not, but that hinges on what one believes about the biblical parts of worship. The one hymn sung was Thine be the glory, I didn't check but that probably is in the resurrection section in the Trinity. But probably anyone coming to the church off the street expecting an "Easter Service" wouldn't have seen enough to think it was much of one. So, as I said a pretty understated taking of cues from the pretended holy day. There was no notice of the error of the day; but the church is still reforming.

I acknowledged the distinction. Do you acknowledge that, while the keys were indeed given to God's ordained officers of the church, others may attempt to arrogate them to themselves? Such is the error of Erastians on one side and Quakers on the other (whose error those who self-excommunicate partake in).

I'm not sure what point you're trying to make, but let me grant it for progress sake. All I was trying to flesh out regarding excommunication pertained to this comment of yours:

If a call to worship is given, if the Supper is ministered, it becomes a different matter than a Wednesday night prayer meeting. It is then stated, public worship and it is incumbent upon all congregants to be present, unless providentially hindered, or they are rejecting the call and excommunicating themselves. On what authority can the church exercise the keys in such a manner? Certainly not that of the Scriptures.

In that context, a point I was trying to make was that if by missing the Supper in such cases one was excommunicated, the censure would be tyrannical. The other point I tried to make, which appears to be a distinction you now acknowledge, is that one who misses the Supper in such cases does not by his absence excommunicate himself.

I hope you had a blessed Lord's Day.

Aside from the RPW, the mere fact that these man added “religious” holidays have become so superstitious in our congregations gives warrant to totally abolish any relation to them within our churches.

Abolish the yearly Easter Lily tribunal and some pull out switch blades and foam at the mouth. That’s mild compared to what would happen if you tampered with the dear sweet poinsettias.

Last edited:
That’s mild compared to what would happen if you tampered with the dear sweet poinsettias.
Actually our church had poinsettias last December. Before you groan, in prior years there were white candles under glass in the same places. That's improvement; the plants are seasonal at least.

Last edited:
Actually our church had poinsettias last December. Before you groan, in prior years there were white candles under glass in the same places. That's improvement; the plants a seasonal at least.
No groaning here brother. I am seeing slow improvements as well, praise the Lord. The superstitious stuff is falling away slowly but surely thus far. Lord willing it will continue for our congregation. I remain optimistic and it has been a blessing to experience reform with a local body.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back