Hebrews - Commentary ???

Status
Not open for further replies.

ANT

Puritan Board Junior
I have made a goal this year to read 1 commentary a month.
I'm gonna alternate between the NT & OT.
So far I have picked these two ...

January ...
The Days Of Vengeance (An Expostion on the Book of Revelation)
By: David Chilton
- Completed

February ...
The Handwriting on the Wall (A Commentary on the Book of Daniel)
By: James B. Jordan
- In Progress

March ...

This is where I would like to ask my family here on the PB for help in pointing me to a worthy & profitable resource. I've decided to study Hebrews and would like to find out your thoughts on different commentaries and which you would consider the best one to read.

Your responses would be greatly appreciated ... ANT

Okay, so that's probably a bit much. Gouge is tremendous, and only 2 volumes instead of 7. If not Gouge, maybe you'd want to tackle John Brown's?

I dare you. John Owen... in a month! :)

You know ... I was thinking single volumes ... lol
Even If I could afford that ... I would have to allot a little more time ... let's say a year ... :detective:

I am currently working through Owen's Biblical Theology ... Does that count for anything? :)

Okay, so that's probably a bit much. Gouge is tremendous, and only 2 volumes instead of 7. If not Gouge, maybe you'd want to tackle John Brown's?

I'll look into those ... Thx!

There's an abridged version of Owen on Hebrews out there as well.

Hebrews, Crossway Classic Commentary - By: John Owen - Christianbook.com

Blessings!

I'll look into this as well ... Thx!

Has anyone ever read Kistemaker on Hebrews, or Calvin?

Gouge is my favorite. Don't forget David Dickson. Both are available at Solid Ground Christian Books. William Plumer is also good.

Dickson and Brown on Hebrews are both available online here, btw:

Links and Downloads Manager - The Epistles - The PuritanBoard

Thx Andrew, I wish I could read online ... The Brown commentary looks really good.

No, not yet, but I hope to some day... I recommend it based on the recommendation of a friend's review at the following site: Covenanter Review

He says:

"Hebrews (Reformed Expository Commentary), Richard D. Phillips, P&R, 2006
Here is another commentary which is really a collection of sermons by an experienced and effective Reformed preacher. This new series by P&R shows signs of great promise. It seems destined to become a standard on the shelves of every Reformed pastor. It would be unwise for you to preach from Hebrews without consulting this book for sermon ideas."

This is very appealing to me as a pastor, as I appreciate reading sermons from gifted men like Rick Phillips...

Don't forget David Dickson.

The more I read him the more I learn...I have been going through his commentary on the Psalms.

Incidently ANT, if I were you I would go through Leviticus before Hebrews :judge:

Ya know ... I actually thought about that before deciding on Hebrews.
I have been through Leviticus 4 times in the past 4 months. Just reading/meditating though, not with a commentary.

Ya know ... I actually thought about that before deciding on Hebrews. I have been through Leviticus 4 times in the past 4 months. Just reading/meditating though, not with a commentary.

Hope you enjoy it.

I have been going through Hebrews now for a while. I have made extensive use of Gill and Calvin.

Hebrews

January ...
- Completed

February ...
- In Progress

March ...

This is where I would like to ask my family here on the PB for help in pointing me to a worthy & profitable resource. I've decided to study Hebrews and would like to find out your thoughts on different commentaries and which you would consider the best one to read.

See William Lane's commentary; or FF Bruce's

Gouge is my favorite. Don't forget David Dickson. Both are available at Solid Ground Christian Books. William Plumer is also good.

Dickson and Brown on Hebrews are both available online here, btw:

Links and Downloads Manager - The Epistles - The PuritanBoard

Thx Andrew, I wish I could read online ... The Brown commentary looks really good.

Oh, I know what you mean. I couldn't read an entire commentary online. But if you have a hardcopy and you want to highlight a certain text and save it or share it, having an e-copy helps. Also, reading a little online can help one determine if they want to get the hardcopy for their greater reading pleasure.

Anyways, blessings to you in your studies, brother! :book2::pray2::pilgrim:

Don't forget the late Phillip Hughes's commentary, published in 1977 and dedicated to Martyn Lloyd-Jones.

The previous suggestions were richly devotional and theological. If you want to expand the names a bit, here are a few worthies.

Kistemaker, S. J., & Hendriksen, W. (1953-2001). Vol. 15: New Testament commentary : Exposition of Hebrews. New Testament Commentary. Grand Rapids: Baker Book House.

Brown, R., & Brown, R. (1988, c1982). The message of Hebrews : Christ above all. The Bible speaks today. Leicester, England; Downers Grove, Ill., U.S.A.: Inter-Varsity Press.

Ellingworth, P. (1993). The Epistle to the Hebrews : A commentary on the Greek text. Grand Rapids, Mich.; Carlisle [England: W.B. Eerdmans; Paternoster Press.

Hughes, R. K. (1993). Hebrews : An anchor for the soul. Preaching the Word. Wheaton, Ill.: Crossway Books.

Lane, W. L. (2002). Vol. 47A: Word Biblical Commentary : Hebrews 1-8. Word Biblical Commentary. Dallas: Word, Incorporated.

What to do ... What to do ...
Choosing a commentary can be rough!
I'm kind of leaning toward the abridged work of Owen's ...
or, Calvin ...
or ...
Simon Kistemaker's son and his family are members of the church I go to, so I'm thinking about reading his ... that way when he visits my church again, I can talk to him about it ...

I'm kind of confused ... picking a commentary is rougher than I thought.

January ...
- Completed

February ...
- In Progress

March ...

Just a side note, what do you think of Jordan's commentary on Daniel? I have heard it is fantastic.

My favorite commentaries on Hebrews are Attridge (in Hermeneia), Phillips (REC), Ellingworth, and Owen (not necessarily in that order).

January ...
- Completed

February ...
- In Progress

March ...

Just a side note, what do you think of Jordan's commentary on Daniel? I have heard it is fantastic.

It is! When I started ... I never knew that I would be learning as much as I have already. I have read almost all the appendixes and am currently a little over 200 pgs into it (Ch. 3 in Daniel). Looking forward to reading it right now! :D

I noticed we attend a church that has similar names ... :handshake:

I finished Jordan's commentary on Daniel earlier than I expected ... It was very good!

I have decided to read Calvin's commentary on the book of Hebrews since I already have it in my library and readily available. Thx everyone for your input.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back