Hell & Hades, ect....?

Status
Not open for further replies.

thistle93

Puritan Board Freshman
Hi! I have a few questions about Heaven and Hell?

Is Hades the precursor to Hell? I do not believe hell exist yet. Satan and his angels will be first to be thrown in. Correct?

All the OT wicked went to Hades and will be thrown into hell at final judgment?
All the OT righteous went to Abraham's Bosom? Did the souls of the OT righteous go to Heaven after Jesus resurrection or will they do so at final resurrection?

So except for those alive at the second coming, the soul and body are separated between death and final resurrection? So those in heaven right now, do not have bodies?

When Jesus said I am going to prepare a place for you he was not so much talking of what we refer to as Heaven but rather he was referring to the New Heaven and New Earth, correct?

I know this is a lot and some of it will not know fully until eternity, just thought I would pick some of your brains. Please include Bible verses if you are willing and able.

Thanks!

For His Glory-
Matthew

I think if you do a word study, Matthew, you'll find that the word "sheol" refers to the grave or state of death, or Hell, depending on the context, likewise Hades, and Gehenna refers to Hell.

Complicated schemes which seem to be associated with Dispensationalism, in which Hades is the punishment of the wicked between death and the resurrection, whereas Hell, is punishment of the wicked after the resurrection, are erroneous and not subscribed to by Reformed and other scholars.

Sheol, Hades, Gehenna and Tartarus, are all biblical words for Hell. Sometimes Sheol, and (I think?) Hades, also refers to the state of death, but the context makes that plain to sound translators of sound translations.

The "intermediate state" between death and the resurrection, is "Hell without the body" for the reprobate.

The "final state" after the resurrection, is "Hell with the body" for the reprobate.

I believe "Abraham's bosom" is just an expression for Heaven. There are not really two churches, one OT and one NT, but just a childhood Church/ Israel and a grown up Church/Israel of God (Gal 6:16). OT saints aren't inferior in the sense that they need to be kept in something less than Heaven, even for a moment.

The righteous in Heaven do not have their bodies because these bodies rest in the ground. This does not mean that they cannot see nor recognise each other; e.g. angels are pure spirit but can appear.

See the relevant sections of the Westminster Confession and the proof texts. Very enlightening and much more simple and straightforward than the schema you indicate.

Sent from my HTC Wildfire using Tapatalk 2

If there is anything I may add, 2Peter 2:4 states that,

"And God did not spare the angels who sinned, but cast them down to hell and delivered them into chains of darkness, to be reserved for judgment"

Peter writing uses the greek word tartus, which was used in greek mythology as the place for the wicked. Peter is not teaching greek mythology, but uses a term his contemperaries
would have understood.

Peter is saying that they have been cast into hell already, when he wrote this letter.

As to when they were cast down, time, we are not told.
It may have been before the creation, Gen 1, or between the creation and fall of man.

verse 9 of the same chapter says, "the Lord knows how to deliver the godly out of temptations and to reserve the unjust under punishment for the day of judgment.

The unjust who pass from this world are under punishment awaiting the day of judgment.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back