Help me please with some resources to learn Koine

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ben_Ives

Puritan Board Freshman
I don't know how to learn Koine Greek

Ive watched Bill Mounces DVD's and it doesn't help.

I have a Greek new testament, but I need an online Greek - English interlinear.

My problem is my memory. Many people tell me I have a photographic memory, but I constantly forget peoples names. However if a discussion is important to me, I can remember it word for word in my head.

I just need to learn this language desperately, and desperately fast.

I'll be sensitive to any patronizing comments, so if anyone wants to advise I just, "give up", I'll probably get very upset.

Can someone please give me some resources NOW, to learn this language?? How do you just, 'remember' the words?? I can't do it????

I have a end of semester Greek exam, for 1st year bachelor greek in about 2 weeks and I'm going to fail it unless I get some real help from someone please:detective::detective:

You could use the Greek New Testament For Beginning Readers. The footnotes contain definitions of words occurring less than 50 times in the Greek Testament. As for the words that occur more than fifty times, get Metzger's Lexical Aids. It is a lexicon that is ordered by the occurrence of a word. The words that occur most are in the front. You could work your way straight through.

Is your whole problem in the memorization of words? You could carry around a stack of flash cards in your pocket or get an app on your phone. You can quiz yourself with them between things throughout your day.

Let me add that it's not going to happen quickly. The best way to learn is steady practice.

Ben, if you have a 'smart phone', or maybe a tablet, Danny Zacharias has an application called 'Flash Greek' that has been very helpful to me. Also Mounce's 'Greek For The Rest Of Us' has been a good place to start before moving to 'Basics Of Biblical Greek.' If you know English grammar you have one hurdle accomplished. If you do not, bone up. It is hard to imagine someone learning κοινε 'fast'. But I suppose whatever you put into it, you'll get out of it.

It sounds like vocabulary is your primary concern. Flash cards with focus is probably the best way you can get some vocabulary in two weeks. Keep in mind that you need to use it to remember it.

For flash cards, I've found making your own the best. Get some index cards and go through a glossary of an elementary Greek grammar and write down all the words. On the bottom under your thumb, put in a one-word English definition (quicker than putting it on the back). Then randomize the cards and go through them, over and over.

I like the old-fashioned method described here because the kinsesthetic act of writing aids memory, at least for me.

If you are trying to learn paradigms, etc., again, write them out from memory the best you can. When you stumble, look at the rules and start over. I think nothing sets a language in your memory better than having visual and mechanical actions working together. (reading and physically writing). Also, vocalizing at the same time helps too. You have the sound in your head and the physical sensations reinforcing it.

It requires focus. Using this technique, when I was living in the Middle East, I learned how to read and write basic Arabic in a couple of weeks--all I had was a dictionary and a school-child's grammar. Later, after God converted me, I used this technique to learn Hebrew and Greek, too. Get the vocabulary--that's 75-80% of the issue. Apply the basic grammar rules and things can fall together.

It did help that I had become proficient in French after years of study. It gave me insight into what to look for in terms of grammar.

Ben, Victor has given you very good counsel. Write it out, rehearse it, rinse and repeat.

One other resource is Professor Jonathan Pennington's vocabulary cd's. They were very helpful to me during seminary. You could copy them onto your phone/tablet.

I'll pray for your studies.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back