Help Me With Alkyd Paint Project Please

Status
Not open for further replies.

jwithnell

Staff member
We seem to have skilled workmen around here, so I'm hoping y'all can help. I'm starting my first project with alkyd paint and am hoping to move onto the cabinets eventually. I really don't want a chalky, bumpy surface that screams homemade. For starters, I'm doing the flat parts of an island that we'll likely replace in a few years when we install new floors; it seemed a good place to take a chance with new techniques. It was primed a few years ago.

I prepped today with a TSP wash, 220-grit sanding and a final wash and dry. I added leveler to the paint at about half strength. The paint is semi-gloss in the hope I'd get some depth but not the full-on error broadcast that can happen with gloss. This first round I applied with a foam roller, a technique I've used before when I want a smooth surface. But it became clear working around a bit of trim that I'm going to have to use a trim brush. (I used a foam brush) The flats aren't quite as liquid smooth as I'd like either. I'm prepared to wait, sand, and repeat.

What's your favorite means of application? I'm seeing so many conflicting pieces of advice online. The paint can (Behr which is my go-to brand) says to use an artificial bristle brush. And with a brush how do you get that smooth finish on the flat surfaces? I want to go to a warmer color. Will this initial whiter coat influence the final color? Am I missing other techniques/tools/tricks?

I'm willing to invest in good tools because the full cabinet project is clearly going to take gobs of time.

Thoughts? Thanks!

I didn't do our cabinets with alkyd, but I did hire some people to do it (we had just moved and decided to outsource some of the work). From what I remember when I was considering doing it myself is that spraying does make a whole lot of difference in finish. If you don't have a sprayer (I don't) then I remember the recommendation being to do fairly thick layers and remember that alkyd paints take a long time to dry and will "level out" during that time. I use Benjamin Moore Advance for a lot of furniture projects and that's been my experience so far.

Thanks! I was surprised at some sites suggesting the thick layers. I wonder if that gives enough material to level.

Unless you can spray, there will almost always be brush and roller marks. And then even spray can leave "orange peel." Some more expensive marine paints can be applied by roller then "tipped" with a brush to promote flowing, but that requires a bit of skill. I don't know how it would work with household paint. I'd be leery of applying alkyds too heavy--they take forever to dry even when thin. Better a lot of thin coats with time in between for them to flash off.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back