Historic Calvinism Versus Hyper-Calvinism

Status
Not open for further replies.

Machaira

Puritan Board Freshman
I noticed that there is a thread here that discusses a similar topic, but it is now closed. I ask the mods to pardon me if this topic is off limits.

Here is a link to an mp3 discussion on historic Calvinism versus hyper-calvinism by Chris Arnzen of Iron Sharpens Iron and Tom Ascol of the SBC:

Iron Sharpens Iron

The best I've read on this topic is Curt Daniel's Ph.D. thesis (that he prints on demand) entitled, Hypercalvinism and John Gill.

I enjoyed the Ascol interview, as much because it brought the subject before a wider audience. Some evangelicals simply dismiss Christians affirming the doctrines of grace with the disparagement: "hyper-calvinist." Sadly, they seem to know little about the subject.

Dave Hunt's What Love is This? Calvinism’s Misrepresentation of God, has been summarized by Tim LaHaye as “Dave Hunt…proves Calvinism is not a Protestant doctrine, but is based in Greek fatalism brought into the Church in the fifth century by Augustine, paving the way for the Catholic doctrine of predestination that all but destroyed Christianity and then was picked up by Calvin and presented as Reformed theology.”

Yikes!!!

Yes! I am listening to the first lecture and have almost completed downloading all 75 of them!

I enjoyed the Ascol interview, as much because it brought the subject before a wider audience. Some evangelicals simply dismiss Christians affirming the doctrines of grace with the disparagement: "hyper-calvinist." Sadly, they seem to know little about the subject.

Dave Hunt's What Love is This? Calvinism’s Misrepresentation of God, has been summarized by Tim LaHaye as “Dave Hunt…proves Calvinism is not a Protestant doctrine, but is based in Greek fatalism brought into the Church in the fifth century by Augustine, paving the way for the Catholic doctrine of predestination that all but destroyed Christianity and then was picked up by Calvin and presented as Reformed theology.”

Yikes!!!

In my own experience with arminians I find that more often than not they readily equate Calvinism with fatalism. I like how Tom Ascol pointed out that arminians and hyper-calvinists are actually polar opposites. Both believe that if God is sovereign, then man is not responsible and each constructs his theology accordingly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back