Historical Friendship correspondences

Status
Not open for further replies.

arapahoepark

Puritan Board Professor
Does anyone know of any books that delve into historical friendships and their respective correspondences/letters? I know of Jefferson and Adams.
I find fascinating because in today's society friendships seem faint or fake even if they are right next to each other.

I share your interest, but I don't know of many other examples. They Stand Together is a collection of many letters of C. S. Lewis to his childhood best friend Arthur Greeves, with five letters of Greeves to Lewis thrown in as well. I thought I'd heard of a published collection of letters between Basil and Gregory, but I can't find it. There's gotta be a lot of other examples out there. I hope this thread gets attention!

The letters of Cicero to various friends is a famous example from ancient times. C. S. Lewis's letters have been published in three fat volumes by Harper.

Lol, sounds funny, but Paul writing to Timothy and the churches is very encouraging. Other than that, maybe some of the Puritans and reformers who were imprisoned who wrote letters to people (Samuel Rutherford). J.R. Miller was a huge letter writer too and I have gained a lot of character through reading them. But other than Christian writings, I'm not too sure. If you want, I can share with you some of the personal letters I have written to people. I try to make letter writing a hobby of mine.

A recent one is Whittaker Chambers and William F. Buckley Jr. The title is Odyssey of a Friend. This book clearly revealed to me that Chambers was a man who wondered if the West would survive. In this correspondence you can see how different Chambers is from Solzhenitsyn in his understanding of the place of the West in the larger scope of history.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back