Homeschool Forum

Status
Not open for further replies.

ServantofGod

Puritan Board Junior
Maybe this has been suggested before: Is there a possibility to have a "Homeschoolers Only" forum(Parents, alum, students)? Just a forum to discuss homeschooling, uplift one another, stories both good and bad, ect... My experience with mixed discussion groups is a whole lot of misunderstanding, debates on valid schooling options, [fill in the blank]. Not to place ourselves above anyone, just to have a forum of understanding people, ones who know the struggles, demands, ect. of homeschooling life, without having to explain every detail of their lives to justify it. Just a suggestion...

I almost suggested a homeschool forum last month, but saw that there was already a family forum. Do we need to add another category are group homeschooling under family?

A homeschooling or education forum would be a good idea as a subforum of the family forum. I don't see the need on this board to restrict it to homeschoolers only however, since from what I have seen it is not really controversial here. A restricted forum would only help contribute to misunderstanding, in my opinion.

A rule could be made that that particular forum is not for those wanting to debate the issue.

I concur with Chris. I would like to be involved in a homeschool forum because I plan to homeschool all of my children. It would be nice to get exposed to the community and some of the common problems that are faced beforehand, so that maybe I can get a jump later.

A homeschooling or education forum would be a good idea as a subforum of the family forum. I don't see the need on this board to restrict it to homeschoolers only however, since from what I have seen it is not really controversial here. A restricted forum would only help contribute to misunderstanding, in my opinion.

A rule could be made that that particular forum is not for those wanting to debate the issue.

While posting the thread I was thinking about this:http://www.puritanboard.com/f33/homeschooling-illegal-30199/

Maybe you be right. I just keep thinking of the "I can't believe you subject your children to that", or "public schooling/home schooling is the only way", "this is what God commands", debates that have a tendancy to come up once in a while. Everything usually turns out to be a debate some way or the other.

As a former hs mom (my dd graduated 5 years ago) I think a homeschooling sub-forum would be a wonderful place to seriously discuss hsing from a Reformed perspective. I've been a member of a certain hs forum for over 10 years and while I love the ladies there, conversation doesn't usually get too deep and most there are other than Reformed. I think the idea deserves a thembs-up!

While posting the thread I was thinking about this:http://www.puritanboard.com/f33/homeschooling-illegal-30199/

Maybe you be right. I just keep thinking of the "I can't believe you subject your children to that", or "public schooling/home schooling is the only way", "this is what God commands", debates that have a tendancy to come up once in a while. Everything usually turns out to be a debate some way or the other.

So what ever happened to that thread? I can't open it from the link.

I concur with Chris. I would like to be involved in a homeschool forum because I plan to homeschool all of my children. It would be nice to get exposed to the community and some of the common problems that are faced beforehand, so that maybe I can get a jump later.

Does your wife know this yet?

I guess the question is whether or not this is better served as a private or a public forum. The only reason I ask is that a private forum might allow for more free exchange of some concerns that a completely public forum would not.

I guess the question is whether or not this is better served as a private or a public forum. The only reason I ask is that a private forum might allow for more free exchange of some concerns that a completely public forum would not.

Yeah. I was thinking along the "Private" lines.

Private would be very good. In some states, folks who homeschool prefer to remain anonymous, and the state laws are made in such a way that they can do that. Putting up info on a public forum might jeopardize that for some.

Private is fine and would be my recommendation. What I thought Ian had in mind was a forum closed to all but those presently involved in homeschooling (i.e. a password protected forum like the tool shed, tea parlor, etc.) so as to forestall any debate over what is often a controversial issue, even in Christian circles. That is what I was opposing.

Private (as in members of the Puritan Board only) but not exclusive as in suggested in the OP:

Is there a possibility to have a "Homeschoolers Only" forum(Parents, alum, students)?

We don't homeschool (at least not currently) but it is a subject I am interested in. My son is in 5th grade and my feeling at this point is that as he proceeds into the secondary schools (Jr. High and High school) we may need to "pull him out" to correct some things.

So to have access to the home schoolers forum, as a "non-home schooler" is a situation that I can see might be of benefit in the coming year or so.

:2cents:

Got it. Standby. I like the idea because I was thinking about asking some questions to some homeschoolers recently about our our kid and their experiences with it but I don't like some discussions in open forum.

I'm probably going to leave it open for discussions about education of children in general because I don't want to exclude discussions of concerns that some might have that are private and they want some advice about. Either way, the rules will be set so that there will be no debating wheter or not a parent is educating their kid's "God's way".

Looks like its in the process already, but I just wanted to express my enthusiasm for a homeschooling sub forum as well. :up:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back