Given the topic I did not want to sidetrack this, but I don't think some of the comments about Martyn Lloyd-Jones are accurate.
I own everything MLJ ever wrote or preached and years ago studied it all. While at RTS in the early 90s, I listened to most of his sermons everyday during workstudy.
I have listened to MLJ sermons for over 20 years, read many of his sermon books. I have read Iain Murray's 2 vol biography many times (still one of my favourites) and listened to the DVD series MLJ "Logic on fire" many times. I have personally met a number of MLJ's close friends and heard his biographer Iain Murray preach in my city. I have also talked to many people from a number of countries who heard the Doctor preach.
I would classify neither as mainly expository, and say, having read so much of them, that they were both flowery in their preaching.
I think you might be confusing his written sermons with the actual preaching recordings. MLJ acknowledged that preaching does not easily translate to print. I find MLJ significantly more logical, more analytical than Spurgeon. The only flowery thing I notice about MLJ was his love of TULIP
With MLJ's extended expositions of John, Romans, Ephesians, Acts, exegetical and logical precision, its clear MLJ was an expositary preacher. Iain Murray is very convincing on this in his biography, also his recent book "MLJ Messanger of grace"
Neither were even remotely the calibur of a Jonathan Edwards, a King of Preachers, (in whose expository preaching style was used in the Great Awakening and revivals of religion). Neither are in that class, nor in a class of men like Perkins, Manton, Mead, Goodwin, Burroughs, etc.
I remain unconvinced:
1. MLJ had a brilliant mind of the very best of men. He trained at the best medical school in London and could diagnose medical patients better than his tutor Sir Thomas Hoarder. Iain Murray said MLJ had a mind that could "drive multiple turbines". A close friend of mine is a medical researcher in a leading medical company. She told me that MLJ completed a medical degree
and a PhD and did all this in the time it would take an ordinary doctor to do a medical degree. Further she said his research he did (in the 1920's) was so good it is still cited in medical literature today.
2. Many leading pastors today have paid tribute to MLJ extraordinary spiritual gifts. Sproal said he is a Titan (= a giant) of the christian ministry. MacArthur said he will go in history as one of the greatest preachers of all time. Many similar comments at
https://www.mljtrust.org/endorsements/
3. MLJ could hold an audience "spellbound" and totally gripped by the message to the extent they forgot time and their surroundings and were gripped, blessed, and humbled by the message. They thought they were in heaven! I have personally talked to people who were impacted by MLJ's preaching in this way. A man who preaches like this is a 'manual for preaching'. I am not convinced that Edwards, great man as he was, did preach like that (and I LOVE Edwards sermons).
4. Carricks book "The preaching of Jonathan Edwards" argues that Edwards was not the model pastor in terms of pastoral care. He was aloof, a gifted academic. I think this was part of the reason why he was tragically removed from his pulpit. MLJ was exceptionally gifted at pastoral care. He was the model pastor here. His biography (chapter on pastoral counselling) is excellent here. His medical knowledge, spiritual wisdom, theological knowledge, and giftedness with people all explain his ability to pastorally counsel people and earn their trust too.
5. MLJ was also a model pastor in how he taught and counselled other pastors both in the Westminster Fellowship and in private help he gave to pastors. Hywell Jones in his chapter in the book "MLJ Chosen by God" argues that MLJ well taught pastors in all key areas of pastoral work. He said it was better than seminary training!
However your final point is true re 1 Cor 3:21. Calvin is not Whitefield. Bavinck is not Perkins etc etc. All men of God have gifts. I regard MLJ as the greatest of 'overall' pastors but yet acknowledge he did not write a 'Reformed Dogmatics' like Bavinck or Vos.