How Can We Be Sure We're Right?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Quatchu

Puritan Board Sophomore
I have been talking with someone who argues that with all the different opposing theologies with each group using scripture to prove there case how can we be sure we are right about our interpretations. He will say things like "You think babies should be baptized, my pastor believes in full immersion of adult believers. Both of you argue so from scripture. Who then is right? If you both use scripture how can you ever know who is right" He then argue that we just need to forget about theology and just love each other. The only thing we can be sure about is the commandment to love our neighbor. How then do we go about answering somebody who asks us how we know that our doctrine is right and someone else is wrong? how is it that we are so sure that Arminians are not the ones that are right?

Last edited:
I struggle with that question frequently as well. My only solution is to go to the Lord and beseech Him to open my mind to the truth of His word so that I am not deceived, nor a deceiver of others. Then I just have to leave it there, and trust Him.

Sorry, I know that doesn't answer your question at all, but thank you so much for posting it, as it is truly an area I struggle with and I look forward to reading the other replies.

Where does he get this idea that we should love each other? What is this "love" he is talking about? How should this manifest itself? Who is my "neighbor" anyways? The only way he can answer these questions is by going to the Scriptures and reasonably formulating theological ideas and principles. His position (while perhaps having the appearance of humility) is at root utter nonsense. It is the philosophical equivalent of the classic non statement: "This sentence is false". While it seems to be saying something (and perhaps even something profound!) when you think about it he is really saying nothing at all!

Here is a blog post I came across that helped me think about the issue. Their website is having technical difficulties so this is a cached version: http://webcache.googleusercontent.c...about-christianity/+&cd=1&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=us

The fault in your friend's thinking as I see it is that he is looking to human authority for his knowledge, when he has the scriptures for himself and the Holy Spirit to guide him in his understanding. Instead he should study the scriptures for himself and trust the Holy Spirit to guide him to right conclusions, without being distressed by disagreement between theological camps. In a fallen world such disagreement is inevitable. And to be clear, the Holy Spirit can and will guide him through teachers who interpret Scripture, but any authority the teachers have is derivative and he should look to the source.

So because we live in a fallen world our response should not be "How is it possible to disagree when we have the Bible?" but "Praise God for working in us that we may see the glory and truth of Christ, though we are wretches with blackened eyes and truth-twisting hearts." We are called to faith, not certainty. I am not certain that God exists, that Christ is raised, etc.. But I have faith and believe it to be true.

In terms of your friend's practical application--"forgetting about theology and loving one another"--does it follow that a person with bad eyesight should shut their eyes and refuse to see when others claim they see something different? Humility and knowledge of our fallen condition should motivate us to study theology and the Bible more, not less. And of course we continue to love one another regardless. There is no dichotomy between the two, and disagreeing with someone over baptism, Calvinism etc. does not affect our ability to love that person. The only challenge is our prideful sin nature.

The fact that you both savingly believe the Gospel proves the opposite of what he is arguing.

LBC Chapter 1, Paragraph 7. All things in Scripture are not alike plain in themselves, nor alike clear unto all; yet those things which are necessary to be known, believed and observed for salvation, are so clearly propounded and opened in some place of Scripture or other, that not only the learned, but the unlearned, in a due use of ordinary means, may attain to a sufficient understanding of them.

Here is a blog post I came across that helped me think about the issue. Their website is having technical difficulties so this is a cached version: Why I Lack Certainty About Christianity | Parchment and Pen

The fault in your friend's thinking as I see it is that he is looking to human authority for his knowledge, when he has the scriptures for himself and the Holy Spirit to guide him in his understanding. Instead he should study the scriptures for himself and trust the Holy Spirit to guide him to right conclusions, without being distressed by disagreement between theological camps. In a fallen world such disagreement is inevitable. And to be clear, the Holy Spirit can and will guide him through teachers who interpret Scripture, but any authority the teachers have is derivative and he should look to the source.

So because we live in a fallen world our response should not be "How is it possible to disagree when we have the Bible?" but "Praise God for working in us that we may see the glory and truth of Christ, though we are wretches with blackened eyes and truth-twisting hearts." We are called to faith, not certainty. I am not certain that God exists, that Christ is raised, etc.. But I have faith and believe it to be true.

In terms of your friend's practical application--"forgetting about theology and loving one another"--does it follow that a person with bad eyesight should shut their eyes and refuse to see when others claim they see something different? Humility and knowledge of our fallen condition should motivate us to study theology and the Bible more, not less. And of course we continue to love one another regardless. There is no dichotomy between the two, and disagreeing with someone over baptism, Calvinism etc. does not affect our ability to love that person. The only challenge is our prideful sin nature.

I have tried this approach with him but he will often say that the baptists I disagree with read the bible and sought the Holy Spirit and yet came to a different conclusion.

There is a principle in theology that says : "In the majors points of doctrines : unity. In the minors points of doctrines : love."

I believe in in full immersion of adult believers with the Word in hand, i believe in the spirituals gifts with the Word in hand, the Holy Spirit that confirm me in that position and the fact that i see them in churches (specific prophecy on somebody, tongues, miracles,...). I know that many others Christians do not believe in all that but they are still Christians and i don't discuss their view, i don't even want to argue with them but the Word in hand i'm convince and with love i accept their position. There is a passage in the Word that says that on the gladiatorial points that are minor to the faith, the important is that each is convinced of what he believe. There is an other passage that says that you have to accept your brother in the faith that is not arrived in the comprehension in which you are with love without discussing his arguments. I'm really sorry but the two examples from the scriptures are in Paul's letters but i can't find them right now.

There is an other passage that says that you have to accept your brother in the faith that is not arrived in the comprehension in which you are with love without discussing his arguments. I'm really sorry but the two examples from the scriptures are in Paul's letters but i can't find them right now.
Not sure if this is what you refer to but these two chapters in Romans come to my mind :

12 I beseech you therefore, brethren, by the mercies of God, that ye present your bodies a living sacrifice, holy, acceptable unto God, which is your reasonable service. 2 And be not conformed to this world: but be ye transformed by the renewing of your mind, that ye may prove what is that good, and acceptable, and perfect, will of God. 3 For I say, through the grace given unto me, to every man that is among you, not to think of himself more highly than he ought to think; but to think soberly, according as God hath dealt to every man the measure of faith. 4 For as we have many members in one body, and all members have not the same office: 5 so we, being many, are one body in Christ, and every one members one of another. 6 Having then gifts differing according to the grace that is given to us, whether prophecy, let us prophesy according to the proportion of faith; 7 or ministry, let us wait on our ministering: or he that teacheth, on teaching; 8 or he that exhorteth, on exhortation: he that giveth, let him do it with simplicity; he that ruleth, with diligence; he that sheweth mercy, with cheerfulness.

9 Let love be without dissimulation. Abhor that which is evil; cleave to that which is good. 10 Be kindly affectioned one to another with brotherly love; in honour preferring one another; 11 not slothful in business; fervent in spirit; serving the Lord; 12 rejoicing in hope; patient in tribulation; continuing instant in prayer; 13 distributing to the necessity of saints; given to hospitality. 14 Bless them which persecute you: bless, and curse not. 15 Rejoice with them that do rejoice, and weep with them that weep. 16 Be of the same mind one toward another. Mind not high things, but condescend to men of low estate. Be not wise in your own conceits. 17 Recompense to no man evil for evil. Provide things honest in the sight of all men. 18 If it be possible, as much as lieth in you, live peaceably with all men. 19 Dearly beloved, avenge not yourselves, but rather give place unto wrath: for it is written, Vengeance is mine; I will repay, saith the Lord. 20 Therefore if thine enemy hunger, feed him; if he thirst, give him drink: for in so doing thou shalt heap coals of fire on his head. 21 Be not overcome of evil, but overcome evil with good.

14 Him that is weak in the faith receive ye, but not to doubtful disputations. 2 For one believeth that he may eat all things: another, who is weak, eateth herbs. 3 Let not him that eateth despise him that eateth not; and let not him which eateth not judge him that eateth: for God hath received him. 4 Who art thou that judgest another man’s servant? to his own master he standeth or falleth. Yea, he shall be holden up: for God is able to make him stand. 5 One man esteemeth one day above another: another esteemeth every day alike. Let every man be fully persuaded in his own mind. 6 He that regardeth the day, regardeth it unto the Lord; and he that regardeth not the day, to the Lord he doth not regard it. He that eateth, eateth to the Lord, for he giveth God thanks; and he that eateth not, to the Lord he eateth not, and giveth God thanks. 7 For none of us liveth to himself, and no man dieth to himself. 8 For whether we live, we live unto the Lord; and whether we die, we die unto the Lord: whether we live therefore, or die, we are the Lord’s. 9 For to this end Christ both died, and rose, and revived, that he might be Lord both of the dead and living. 10 But why dost thou judge thy brother? or why dost thou set at nought thy brother? for we shall all stand before the judgment seat of Christ. 11 For it is written, As I live, saith the Lord, every knee shall bow to me, and every tongue shall confess to God. 12 So then every one of us shall give account of himself to God.

13 Let us not therefore judge one another any more: but judge this rather, that no man put a stumblingblock or an occasion to fall in his brother’s way. 14 I know, and am persuaded by the Lord Jesus, that there is nothing unclean of itself: but to him that esteemeth any thing to be unclean, to him it is unclean. 15 But if thy brother be grieved with thy meat, now walkest thou not charitably. Destroy not him with thy meat, for whom Christ died. 16 Let not then your good be evil spoken of: 17 for the kingdom of God is not meat and drink; but righteousness, and peace, and joy in the Holy Ghost. 18 For he that in these things serveth Christ is acceptable to God, and approved of men.

19 Let us therefore follow after the things which make for peace, and things wherewith one may edify another. 20 For meat destroy not the work of God. All things indeed are pure; but it is evil for that man who eateth with offence. 21 It is good neither to eat flesh, nor to drink wine, nor any thing whereby thy brother stumbleth, or is offended, or is made weak. 22 Hast thou faith? have it to thyself before God. Happy is he that condemneth not himself in that thing which he alloweth. 23 And he that doubteth is damned if he eat, because he eateth not of faith: for whatsoever is not of faith is sin.

:ditto: "It is written in the prophets, And they shall all be taught by God, Therefore everyone who has heard and learned from the Father comes to Me."- John 6:45

On top of what everyone else has said, you can know what is right or wrong by the simple fact that truth isn't relative. Relative truth is an oxymoron (yes, even for those relativistic philosophers... if you would even call them that really). Also, if you don't understand language and how it works (which I would assume both parties do) then you won't understand.. well... basically everything in life that is being communicated. There are words in scripture and words have meaning. Words are defined by many things including context. Since there is an actual historical base for words used in scripture, and a certain audience the writer is writing to, you can conclude what the author means. Since you can conclude what the author is saying, thus you have the only basis to which your doctrine and understanding is formed. This only happens though if you believe in the inspiration of scripture. Which we do. ;)

Also, ask him if he has read a book recently. Ask him what the author meant by a certain passage. If he can give you a straight forward answer, then ask him why he can do that with a book but not the bible.

I was witnessing to a Jehovah's Witness the other day, and one thing he came up with to challenge my challenge was, according to Philippians 2:2 (I think it was), we were commanded to be "like-minded…of one accord, of one mind" and as there were so many Protestant denominations we couldn't be the true church. I had earlier charged the Watchtower Organization with being a false prophet (as their literature had claimed prophet status for the Watchtower yet had given many false prophecies). So I said to them that in the things that really count – the special creation of the universe by God, the infallibility of the Bible, the virgin birth of Christ, the tri-unity of the Godhead (including the full deity of Christ), the bodily crucifixion, resurrection, and ascension of Jesus Christ, His coming again in judgment, the casting of the unrepentant wicked into eternal Hell, and the bringing of the righteous to heaven on New Earth – we were unified. We might differ on relatively minor things, but in the main we were indeed of one mind. As opposed to the Jehovah's Witnesses who, like the Roman Catholics, demand uniformity with no liberty of conscience in understanding the Scripture, on pain of being disfellowshipped and shunned.

Having said that (speaking now to us at PB), in those things where we do disagree, what can one do but humbly ask God to grant us sound understanding of His word and doctrine, and follow that with diligent, prayerful study? Especially seeing as really godly and brilliant men differ in doctrinal understanding.

We also should keep in mind the Scripture, "
My brethren, be not many masters, knowing that we shall receive the greater condemnation" (James 3:1). By this he means teachers / pastors, and that such will receive a far stricter judgment with regard to our works (1 Cor 3:12-15). So in the end we who teach must simply use our best judgment, both as regards commentators and teachers that we consult, along with our own studies, and rely on God to aid us. And when once convinced in our own minds of the correctness of our doctrine, contend earnestly for the publishing forth and establishment of it, yet with humility and charity toward those who differ, knowing the frailty we all partake of. And that we all shall stand before Him to give an account of our ministries.

I think it will be better for those who have made (relatively minor) errors yet abode in love toward others, than those who were correct and yet harsh with others. I often wondered that perhaps the egregious errors of the late Harold Camping were given him by the Lord as judgment for his harsh condemnation of the charismatics, saying that any who spake in tongues were possessed by the devil
– since with regard to any who make a false prophecy, "thou shalt not be afraid of him" (Deut 18:21-22). For the Lord loves His charismatic children. (Not condoning that error, but rather a catholicity of spirit toward true children despite errors.)

JamesWhite once said something to the effect:

The problem most people have is not with determining what the Bible means, but with receiving what the Bible means.

People generally do not take the same "agnostic" view with other subjects, such that disagreement and confusion translates to backing off into an amorphous realm of pseudo-significance, and relegating details to the "argumentative idiots." If a thing is truly significant, it is significant all the way down. And this is what we see, by the way. Theology, if it is not "significant all the way down" to someone, is clearly insignificant to that person. Even the phrase "God is love," or "we should just love each other" ends up being platitudinous and irrelevant to the great majority of that person's life (though, perhaps not to his self-image).

It is just those folks who think theology is serious, life-impacting business who get down to the details of it. Just like the mathematician or the scientist does (and there are great rows within all the disciplines of science or art among those who take the subjects to heart).

Which is to say, that all one can do is try to engage another person in a serious discussion--you cannot make a person interested in the details, just by talking about them in the other's company. Can you automatically interest someone in the details of your job that way? No, even less can you do it with theology, because these are matters that the Spirit alone can persuade of.

What we can do as impassioned believers, is truly love our conversation-partners. If we are interested in them, they may get interested in us. If we listen to what they are interested in (as long as it isn't sinful), we may find them by grace listening to us.

My only solution is to go to the Lord and beseech Him to open my mind to the truth of His word so that I am not deceived, nor a deceiver of others. Then I just have to leave it there, and trust Him.
:) I often pray that to the Lord myself.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back