How long were Adam and Eve in the Garden before they fell?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pergamum

Ordinary Guy (TM)
How long did Adam and Eve persist without sin? How long were they in the Garden sinless prior to the Fall?

It seems the Fall happened rather quickly. But, we hear nothing else about them celebrating a Sabbath or anything about the passage of time. Adam named some animals and fell into a deep sleep...I suppose that took some time. And they had no kids (the first reference to Adam even "knowing" his wife occurring after the Fall).

Any indications?

I have also wondered when God having spoke to Eve stating "and you shall have pain in childbirth"
Eve may have answered "what is childbirth?" Unless Eve already experienced childbirth and it didn't hurt.
(Just by way of comparison, but I'm sure there is answers for questions like these)

I think roughly along these lines...

How long did Adam continue in paradise before he fell?

Tostatus says, he fell the next day. Pererius says, he fell the eighth day after his creation. The most probable and received opinion is, that he fell the very same day in which he was created. So Irenaeus, Cyril, Epiphanius, and many others. The reasons which incline me to believe so are,

(1.) It is said, Satan was a murderer, ‘from the beginning.' John 8:44. Now, whom did he murder? Not the blessed angels, he could not reach them; nor the cursed angels, for they had before destroyed themselves. How then was Satan a murderer from the beginning? As soon as Satan fell, he began to tempt mankind to sin; this was a murdering temptation. By which it appears Adam did not stay long in Paradise; soon after his creation the devil set upon him, and murdered him by his temptation.

(2.) Adam had not yet eaten of the tree of life. ‘And now, lest he put forth his hand, and take also of the tree of life, and eat; the Lord sent him forth of the garden.' Gen 3:22, 23. This tree of life, being one of the choicest fruits in the garden, and being placed in the midst of Paradise, it is very likely Adam would have eaten of this tree of life one of the first, had not the serpent beguiled him with the tree of knowledge. So that I conclude, Adam fell the very day of his creation, because he had not tasted the tree of life, that tree that was most in his eye, and had such delicious fruit growing upon it.

(3.) ‘Man being in honour, abideth not.' Psalm 49:12. The Rabbis read it thus, ‘Adam being in honour, lodged not one night.' The Hebrew word for abide, signifies, ‘To stay or lodge all night.' Adam then, it seems, did not take up one night's lodging in Paradise.
Body of Divinity

I have also wondered when God having spoke to Eve stating "and you shall have pain in childbirth"
Eve may have answered "what is childbirth?" Unless Eve already experienced childbirth and it didn't hurt.
(Just by way of comparison, but I'm sure there is answers for questions like these)
You seem to think that Adam and Eve were created clueless without any inbuilt knowledge suitable to adult human beings.

Sent from my C6903 using Tapatalk

It would seem that Adam would have had to sin before Eve conceived, otherwise there would be godly offspring and ungodly.

What is the significance or theological importance of the OP question, or is it just a point of curiosity?

Did Adam eat of the Tree of Life before he fell? Or do God's words just indicate that He wanted to prevent him from continuing to inappropriately eat of this sacrament after he fell thus deceiving himself and his offspring. Calvin says he could have swallowed the whole tree and he wouldn't have lived a day longer.

The trees were sacramental and eating or not eating had no power in itself without God fulfilling what He had said in connection with them. God didn't say that Adam had to eat of the Tree of Life to live forever, but that he had to avoid the Tree of Knowledge.

On the other hand, as long as Adam was allowed to eat the Tree of Life, it was a particular sign and seal to him of his ongoing pleasure in, and fellowship with and life in God, during the probation and beyond.

How often would Adam have eaten the Tree of Life? Once a day like a daily meal? Or only after he'd passed his probationary test?

Also, did God show a full week to Adam plus a Sabbath before his Fall?

How long was that deep sleep God put on Adam to make Eve and when did this happen?

You seem to think that Adam and Eve were created clueless without any inbuilt knowledge suitable to adult human beings.

Yes thank you,,,

I almost immediately regretted posting that question.:p

Yes thank you,,,

I almost immediately regretted posting that question.:p
Sorry, brother. I may have sounded a little brusque and dismissive.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back