How Much TV Do You Watch??

Status
Not open for further replies.
We rent DVD's almost every week. Last week we watched Luther. As far as T.V. I usually watch about an hour, hour and a half per day. I like that Extreme Home Makeover, and my wife and I watch Wheel of Fortune and Jeopardy almost 3 to 4 times per week. Other than that I don't watch much T.V. because it's almost all junk.

I don't have much time to watch TV, and there is so much junk that often it is not worth the time. But there are some shows I like to watch, as well as some channels. I like to keep abreast of the news so I watch CNN news channels, and Fox news, and the Weather Channel, A&E, the History Channel and on rare occasions PBS. Mostly I like to watch good classic movies when I have the rare opportunity to do so.

I believe in moderation in all things. But come March I will be glued to ESPN for the Final Four.

I usually watch about 2-4 hours of tv each week.

We watch "House" on Tuesdays...that's an intersting show.
Lost and Alias on Wednesdays.

The extra hour usually is some sort of vegging thing.

[Edited on 2-7-05 by pastorway]

When I'm at home I barely watch any except during college football season and March Madness. When I am at my folks I waste more time, because they have about 3,000 channels and it takes at least an hour and a half to go through them all and realize that nothing is on.

Now, if I could just limit my internet usage to about 30 minutes a day, then I would be on the right track.

[Edited on 7-2-2005 by openairboy]

Most people don't have time to watch T.V. b/c they are blogging online.

Do it at work so you'll have more time at home.

J/K. :lol:

I watch American Idol b/c of my wife. ;)

We sometimes rent 1 or 2 movies a week. I'm usually studying up for my Bible Study lesson for "my" 6 year old class.

I think the TV is just great, I get to watch that new Amazing Grace video (about the history of Calvinism), R.C. Sprouls series From Dust to Glory (and all his other videos that I can rent at church), but I know, you mean regular TV programming, well if this is what you are talking about then we do not watch any except for mabey watching the news about 20 minutes a week if that. And we also average one or two causiously selected movies a month.

I think the key is only watching TV for the purpose of critiquing the content, you know for apologetic reasons. Of course sometimes I annoy my wife by including a full running commentary on a news or science program, pointing out all of the fallacious arguments and exposing all the technics that the natural man uses to suppress Gods truth in all areas of life. [I only wish that I could pause a live program so I don't have to talk so fast]

I remember listening to a lecture in which the Christian speaker joked about what it would be like if Dan Rathers co-anchor commenting on what needs to be done about a certain issue of morality and he says to Dan, Dan I think what we need in this case is repentance, now back to you, Dan.

We homeschool our children and I plan on using news and science programs (like PBS's special on evolution). To teach them how to apply critical thinking skills to the art of apologetics.

I am actually really excited to think of the kind of generation of Christians we can raise if we pour our lives into teaching our children to think biblically about all areas of life. This is, I believe, the greatest failure of Christians in our country. I have a vision of what TV would be like in a redeemed culture, where every program would be like a seminary class. Yea, I know what most of you would say, "that it will never happen," well am convinced that this should be our goal as Christians and we should start using the resourses that God has given us to redeem the media from all of this culture recking trash that we currently are being fed. I hope that I am not coming across too harsh, I am just fed up with how Christians have suandered the resources (our wealth and most importantly our children) that God has blessed us with in this country.

In Christ,
David

Jeopardy!

But not so much now that my favorite Mormon is gone.

I'm really weirded out by the church that was mentioned in Grand Rapids that wont let members own TVs. Shall we abolish women, too?

Originally posted by govols
Originally posted by ARStager
Shall we abolish women, too?

Who's going to bite on that one?

That's the point we don't ban things just because there is a potential for temptation to sin or for abuse (women, alcholic beverages...). That is why I said when it comes to things that are "neutral" like TV, Christians should busy themselves with finding ways to redeem these kinds of things and use them for God's glory.

The last couple of years I have gotten into downloading all of the free theological books articles and sermons/lectures that I can find on-line and making CD's for people in my church to use for their spiritual growth. For example a place called audiotreasure.com has the Bible in MP3 format and they make it explicit that they do not have a copyright on these files and encourage you to make copies to give away.

For this and many other reasons, I am excited that there is a movement in this country among Christian to recognize that we have been allowing all of the different forms of mass communication to have a negative influence on us rather than seeking to find ways to use these tremendous gifts to expand God's kingdom.

Oh, and by the way, in case you were wondering I am a postmillenialist. And whether or not you are a postmillenialist I believe that if we obey all the commands that are found in God's word, it should appear as if we are operationally postmillenial by the way we live. ;)

In Christ,
David

This Just In !

David claims that God created his T.V. from a man's rib.

Man, you should sell that thing on e-bay !

:lol: :lol:

Here's a good question for everyone, If the TV was invented in the time of the puritans, how do you think they would use it? (or would they condemn it?) or for that matter if the TV was invented in the time of the apostles?

:worms:

Originally posted by Answerman
Here's a good question for everyone, If the TV was invented in the time of the puritans, how do you think they would use it? (or would they condemn it?) or for that matter if the TV was invented in the time of the apostles?

:worms:

Interesting thread.

I believe everything is used by God for his glory (in spite of our use/disuse of anything). And especially so in the lives of believers. (Rom 8:28)

Nothing is forbidden.

But a more difficult queston is, how do we deal with these things in light of the following?

Romans 12:12 So then every one of us shall give account of himself to God.
13 Let us not therefore judge one another any more: but judge this rather, that no man put a stumblingblock or an occasion to fall in his brother's way.
14 I know, and am persuaded by the Lord Jesus, that there is nothing unclean of itself: but to him that esteemeth any thing to be unclean, to him it is unclean.
15 But if thy brother be grieved with thy meat, now walkest thou not charitably. Destroy not him with thy meat, for whom Christ died.
16 Let not then your good be evil spoken of:
17 For the kingdom of God is not meat and drink; but righteousness, and peace, and joy in the Holy Ghost.
18 For he that in these things serveth Christ is acceptable to God, and approved of men.
19 Let us therefore follow after the things which make for peace, and things wherewith one may edify another.
20 For meat destroy not the work of God. All things indeed are pure; but it is evil for that man who eateth with offence.
21 It is good neither to eat flesh, nor to drink wine, nor any thing whereby thy brother stumbleth, or is offended, or is made weak.
22 Hast thou faith? have it to thyself before God. Happy is he that condemneth not himself in that thing which he alloweth.
23 And he that doubteth is damned if he eat, because he eateth not of faith: for whatsoever is not of faith is sin.

Pauls attitude seems to have been abstinence from anything that offended anyone?

Hard word.:chained:

[edit to add]I watch alot of TV. But I hate sitcoms and such. Feel I am being intellectually insulted. I watch alot of movies (commercial free or not?). And I am a treky as well.:bigsmile:

[Edited on 2-8-2005 by LaMontre]

[/quote]Pauls attitude seems to have been abstinence from anything that offended anyone?
[/quote]

And this has to be balanced in the context in which we do these things. Paul rebukes the Corinthians for getting drunk at the Lords supper which presupposes that the wine they used at these suppers was alcoholic. So I tend to conclude that the balance is WHEN you exercise your liberty and not that you abstain even when you are not in a situation that you would cause a weaker brother to stumble.

Hi......usually only read......but I had to offer a bit of advice here(it's the mom in me)..........I found that particular verses in Psalms(119:36&37).....if prayed sincerely will indeed help any Christian overcome the attraction the world puts out there......"incline my heart to your testamonies and not to covetousness. Turn away my eyes from looking at worthless things, and revive me in Your ways".........I always add .........verse 41 also....".Let your mercies come also to me O LORD" .......because I have slipped and gone back to too much tv or decorating magazines or something........God is gracious and establishes my feet on the ROCK every time I approach Him with sincerity.......God Bless

Originally posted by Answerman
Pauls attitude seems to have been abstinence from anything that offended anyone?
[/quote]

And this has to be balanced in the context in which we do these things. Paul rebukes the Corinthians for getting drunk at the Lords supper which presupposes that the wine they used at these suppers was alcoholic. So I tend to conclude that the balance is WHEN you exercise your liberty and not that you abstain even when you are not in a situation that you would cause a weaker brother to stumble. [/quote]

Yeah, for myself I would agree. And I have peace about this conclusion. But Paul.....he was a bit more rigid with himself;

1Co 8:13
Wherefore, if meat make my brother to offend, I will eat no flesh while the world standeth, lest I make my brother to offend.

Situationally does seem to be the answer, I think we can be far too "touch not, taste not, handle not" in our approach to such things?

I have been in situations with believers where something as seemingly harmless (conscience wise) as caffine was an offense. I was with one brother who was offended that I didn't obey the speed limit on the freeway. That was a more understandable offense I suppose, but you get the point?

One thing too is that Paul does speak of this as being a "problem". As in a "weak" conscience acompanied by a "lack of knowledge" about the liberty we indeed do have in Christ?

None-the-less he makes the statement above about offending a brother. He also makes the point that offending a brother is far greater offence against Christ than any other sin one might commit.

Once again, it is just a hard word.:chained:

Originally posted by believer
Hi......usually only read......but I had to offer a bit of advice here(it's the mom in me)..........I found that particular verses in Psalms(119:36&37).....if prayed sincerely will indeed help any Christian overcome the attraction the world puts out there......"incline my heart to your testamonies and not to covetousness. Turn away my eyes from looking at worthless things, and revive me in Your ways".........I always add .........verse 41 also....".Let your mercies come also to me O LORD" .......because I have slipped and gone back to too much tv or decorating magazines or something........God is gracious and establishes my feet on the ROCK every time I approach Him with sincerity.......God Bless

:welcome: to my mom!:D

Originally posted by Ianterrell
I never watch TV if I can help it. TV = waste (time & thought).

Ian, I totally agree. But the point that I am trying to make is that what ever TV (or other media forms) that we watch (or listen to) should be critically analyzed and put in contrast to a biblical worldview. This can be benificial in polishing our apologetic in an ever increasing hostile environment where our beliefs are under attack. I think a better term to describe what a Christian should do with TV is to critique it, Christians should CRITIQUE TV not WATCH it.

The key here is to have our minds engaged in trying to perceive and understand the antithesis between Christian thought and all other non-christian thought so as to be better equiped to engage in the battle that we fight with informed insights as to how we can best reach our lost family members and friends.

I think that every Christian should have this kind of critical attitude towards all forms of media. Mabey some Christians, like myself, can actually spend more time watching TV or listening to radio programs with the intent of preparing myself or my family to more effectively combat the types of agruments that are used against Christians in our culture.

I think a good case can be made that we are in the mess that we are currently in because Christians have not been taught to effectively analyze all of the stuff that we are bombarded with in our culture and have therefore become impotent and laughed at by the so-called intellectuals of our day.

Oh, that all of us and our children were little Greg Bahnsen's running around and pointing our the utter foolishness and futility of non-christian thought with confidence and grace.

In Christ,
David

[Edited on 8-2-2005 by Answerman]

I watch baseball during the baseball season, and also watch Survivor and The Amazing Race, so I watch maybe 2 hours a week during the baseball offseason, and probably 10 hours a week during the season.

i have found a kindred spirit...

Originally posted by knight4christ8
I fall into the temptation all too often to turn the t.v. on (which is for campus cable courses ONLY) and watch TBN. Sometimes I get a bit carried away, but it is quite fun to watch. I would say that I have spent about an hour the past few weeks watching it. My heart is humbled and I am forced to pray for them. Benny Hinn is coming to Phx. you know. I wondered what it would be like to get on stage with Him and spaz out. I. . . I. . . I had a brain tumor and it's . . . it's gone (sniff . . . sniff . . . sob). OH NO MY SPLEEN! IT'S IN MY SPLEEN! I would love to see their faces, especially Paul Crouch's.
O.K. so I do get carried away.

Knight

All right, so who else here watches TBN for laughs? Sadly enough, when I lived in the university dorms, the only TV I ever watched was TBN, sometimes a couple of hours a week. Some of the funniest parts are the little "best of" moments that come on at the half hour. I remember one where Paul Crouch read Matthew 16:18
Matthew 16:18: "And I say also unto thee, That thou art Peter, and upon this rock I will build my church; and the gates of hell shall not prevail against it." Then, he said something to the effect of, "I'm going to read this again, and I'm only going to add one word to it." He then repeated the verse adding and emphasizing the word CHANNEL after "church." Church "channel"... ridiculous.

Brian

Where I'm living right now, there is no TV. We use it only to watch movies we rent, the rest of the time it goes behind an armchair in the living room.

However I am a huge Seinfeld and Star Trek fan. Before I became a Christian I used to watch Dawson's Creek pretty much every week, I know it's embassaing.

Originally posted by cultureshock
All right, so who else here watches TBN for laughs? Sadly enough, when I lived in the university dorms, the only TV I ever watched was TBN, sometimes a couple of hours a week.
I used to do this, but then I realized that, for myself, anyway, it was a spiritual pride issue. While I still like scoffing at heresy--and on a less harmful note, evangelical trends-- in general, I realized that I was watching these people in particular because they were making me feel better about myself--hey, at least my theology is better than Benny Hinn!

To borrow the cliche: but for the grace of God go I.

Originally posted by future expatriate
Originally posted by cultureshock
All right, so who else here watches TBN for laughs? Sadly enough, when I lived in the university dorms, the only TV I ever watched was TBN, sometimes a couple of hours a week.
I used to do this, but then I realized that, for myself, anyway, it was a spiritual pride issue. While I still like scoffing at heresy--and on a less harmful note, evangelical trends-- in general, I realized that I was watching these people in particular because they were making me feel better about myself--hey, at least my theology is better than Benny Hinn!

To borrow the cliche: but for the grace of God go I.

HA!

Yeah it does tend to be that way doesn't it? Just tells that their doctrines appeal to the flesh only.

I watch many times simply to try and find some glimmer of truth from any one of the many preachers and teachers they have on. Remembering (sadly) that this is the face of Jesus Christ to the world.

I suppose the only "saving grace" in any of it, is that the gospel is preached. And perhaps we should therein rejoice?

God can use anything.

I have often thought of such churches like those represented by TBN as birthing places. Anyone who actually does discover any true calling through such ministries will not remain there long.

Once the Spirit of God actually ministers to you, the flesh is way too easy to identify.:up:

Originally posted by Jonathan
occassionally the History Channel, when they are not trying to explain away every truth in the Bible.

At least I know that there is someone else out there that feels the same way about the heathen that run that outfit.:scholar:

Originally posted by JasonGoodwin
occassionally the History Channel, when they are not trying to explain away every truth in the Bible.

At least I know that there is someone else out there that feels the same way about the heathen that run that outfit.:scholar:

It is crazy, I saw this thing a few months ago, where they said the Children of Israel actually passed through a reed sea where the water was only 3 feet deep. Wouldn't that be a greater miracle? The entire army of Pharaoh drowning in a measly 3 feet of water :lol:
I also saw part of this show where they claimed Elijah had encounters with aliens. Where they get their "facts" I don't know.

I also saw part of this show where they claimed Elijah had encounters with aliens. Where they get their "facts" I don't know.
I have heard claims of Ezekiel seeing aliens, but never Elijah.

Originally posted by future expatriate

I have heard claims of Ezekiel seeing aliens, but never Elijah.

These claims are highlighted in a book that is popular in occultic circles called Chariots of the Gods by Erich Von Daniken.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back